    wait my turn to advance. I am eager to develop software,
    not answer phones. Do people in this industry promote from
    within ?

    Java Jon, Jan 6, 2005

  2. If is for free you can go to learn something new.
    And i recommend MCSD because is more advanced than MCAD.
    However if you don't have experience at all it will be hard to get employed.

    Emanuel Ceciu

    Emanuel Ceciu, Jan 6, 2005

  3. By earning a MCSD .NET you automatically earn a MCAD .NET. Since you
    can go for free, definitely shoot for MCSD .NET. Good luck. For someone
    new to IT and Software Development, it's going to be a rough battle.
    These exams are HARD! I'm sure you can do it though.

    Adam P. Tatusko, MCSD .NET, MCAD .NET, MCDBA, MCSE, Jan 6, 2005
  4. "Java Jon" <> wrote in message
    >I am 33 years old, currently not employed or knowledgable
    > in the IT Business World. I am very interested in
    > programming and development. I have an opportunity to go
    > to a place called TechSkills.com for free. I will be
    > getting certifications in the following A+, then Network+,
    > SCJP (Core Java 2), and then I have a choice of MCAD or
    > MCSD.NET. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what I
    > should do ? Will I find work with these certifications
    > alone and no degree ? I'd appreciate some educated
    > professional opinons. I understand that I will probably
    > sit behind a help desk for a while, but I am willing to
    > wait my turn to advance. I am eager to develop software,
    > not answer phones. Do people in this industry promote from
    > within ?

    Generally a help desk job would lead to IT desktop support/technician job
    and then on to network admistration and then to network design/engineering.
    Or in terms of certifications... A+/Network+/MCDST ----> MCSA ---> MCSE.
    (Not that you need each of these certs-- I'm just pointing out the ones that
    generally go with each step in the career path.)

    Entry-level software dev jobs would more often be something like testing and
    QA. Again, I'm speaking in very general terms here and yes a help desk can
    often lead to a dev job too (especially if you are providing support for a
    company's applications instead of at a "my computer is broken and I can't
    print" job.)

    Colin Nash [MVP], Jan 7, 2005
  5. Java Jon

    Java Jon Guest

    What might the career path or certifications be for
    Software Development ? I'm definitely going MCAD or
    MCSD.NET anything else I may need to learn along the way
    or after ? (I'm doing the VB.NET not C#)I know these are
    probably dumb questions because of the mass variations and
    configurations of hardware and software running out there.
    I would just like to get a feel for what I may need to
    know in order to help my employment prospects next
    year.For instance would Comp TIA's Security+ cert. be of
    any use to me ?

    Java Jon, Jan 17, 2005