    posted here?
    Thank you for any help you may give me...

    Ramsey

    Ramsey, Jan 31, 2004

  2. On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 23:00:16 -0500, Ramsey wrote:

    > Hi, I am trying to listen to some of the mp3 songs here and when I click
    > on the post all
    > I see is a bunch of text. Is there a way for me to listen to the mp3
    > songs posted here?
    > Thank you for any help you may give me...
    >
    > Ramsey

    Read the Help for OE under "combine and decode", and all will be revealed.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Beer!!11!! The staff of life.

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Ramsey

    gangle Guest

    "Ramsey" wrote
    > Hi, I am trying to listen to some of the mp3 songs here and when I click on
    > the post all
    > I see is a bunch of text. Is there a way for me to listen to the mp3 songs
    > posted here?
    > Thank you for any help you may give me...

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    yEnc is a type of binary to text encoding that has much
    less "overhead" than Uuencoded files.
    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    RAR files are (usually) large multimedia type of files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) that have been archived and split into
    parts. You need WinRar to reassemble the archive and
    decompress it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).

    gangle, Jan 31, 2004