    also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.

    Cheers

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Sep 5, 2005

  2. T'was the Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:09:40 +1200 when I remembered Squirrel
    <> saying something like this:

    >Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    >games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    >also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.

    Some pretty cool involving games are massively multiplayer online
    roleplaying games (MMORGs). They're pretty intense because of the bond
    you forge with the community. One example is World of Warcraft (see
    www.blizzard.com for that) and a personal favourite of mine is The
    Matrix Online ( http://thematrixonline.station.sony.com/ for that).
    The disadvantages to those games are their monthly subscription model,
    don't get hooked else you're constantly paying for the game!

    Personally, I'm a fan of real time strategy games, ya'know, playing
    war. A couple of good games are Command and Conquer: Generals and Age
    of Mythology.

    Some good sites to check out are www.gameplanet.co.nz and
    www.gamespot.com.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:48:00 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >T'was the Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:09:40 +1200 when I remembered Squirrel
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    >>games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    >>also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.

    >Some pretty cool involving games are massively multiplayer online
    >roleplaying games (MMORGs). They're pretty intense because of the bond
    >you forge with the community. One example is World of Warcraft (see
    >www.blizzard.com for that) and a personal favourite of mine is The
    >Matrix Online ( http://thematrixonline.station.sony.com/ for that).
    >The disadvantages to those games are their monthly subscription model,
    >don't get hooked else you're constantly paying for the game!
    >
    >Personally, I'm a fan of real time strategy games, ya'know, playing
    >war. A couple of good games are Command and Conquer: Generals and Age
    >of Mythology.
    >
    >Some good sites to check out are www.gameplanet.co.nz and
    >www.gamespot.com.

    Excellent, just never occured to me I would have to pay lol I pay thru
    the nose for a half decent BB connection, and have loans out on other
    gadgets, so forking out to play games wont be happening :)

    I like strategy too, shoot me up gets too easy after a while.

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Hi there,

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:48:00 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>T'was the Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:09:40 +1200 when I remembered Squirrel
    >><> saying something like this:
    >>

    >>>Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    >>>games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    >>>also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.

    >>Some pretty cool involving games are massively multiplayer online
    >>roleplaying games (MMORGs). They're pretty intense because of the bond
    >>you forge with the community. One example is World of Warcraft (see
    >>www.blizzard.com for that) and a personal favourite of mine is The
    >>Matrix Online ( http://thematrixonline.station.sony.com/ for that).
    >>The disadvantages to those games are their monthly subscription model,
    >>don't get hooked else you're constantly paying for the game!
    >>
    >>Personally, I'm a fan of real time strategy games, ya'know, playing
    >>war. A couple of good games are Command and Conquer: Generals and Age
    >>of Mythology.
    >>
    >>Some good sites to check out are www.gameplanet.co.nz and
    >>www.gamespot.com.

    > Excellent, just never occured to me I would have to pay lol I pay thru
    > the nose for a half decent BB connection, and have loans out on other
    > gadgets, so forking out to play games wont be happening :)

    Try searching on sourceforge for clones of popular titles. Link here...

    http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=80

    The 'Real Time Strategy' category is probably best place to look. Some
    of the titles are quite popular, hopefully meaning that there are plenty
    of people online to play against...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:55:59 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:48:00 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>T'was the Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:09:40 +1200 when I remembered Squirrel
    >>><> saying something like this:

    >>>Some pretty cool involving games are massively multiplayer online
    >>>roleplaying games (MMORGs). They're pretty intense because of the bond
    >>>you forge with the community. One example is World of Warcraft (see
    >>>www.blizzard.com for that) and a personal favourite of mine is The
    >>>Matrix Online ( http://thematrixonline.station.sony.com/ for that).
    >>>The disadvantages to those games are their monthly subscription model,
    >>>don't get hooked else you're constantly paying for the game!
    >>>
    >>>Personally, I'm a fan of real time strategy games, ya'know, playing
    >>>war. A couple of good games are Command and Conquer: Generals and Age
    >>>of Mythology.
    >>>
    >>>Some good sites to check out are www.gameplanet.co.nz and
    >>>www.gamespot.com.

    >> Excellent, just never occured to me I would have to pay lol I pay thru
    >> the nose for a half decent BB connection, and have loans out on other
    >> gadgets, so forking out to play games wont be happening :)

    >Try searching on sourceforge for clones of popular titles. Link here...
    >
    >http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=80
    >
    >The 'Real Time Strategy' category is probably best place to look. Some
    >of the titles are quite popular, hopefully meaning that there are plenty
    >of people online to play against...

    Thanx, I am on a mission

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    Guest

    There are plenty of good budget titles as well. Games like Red Alert 2,
    or C&C Generals, both classic and very fun RTSs, and you can pick them
    up new for $20-$30 from most places.

    , Sep 5, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:09:40 +1200, Squirrel <>
    wrote:

    > Never really got into Wolfenstein
    >and Doom etc as the screen play made me sea sick (Its true!!)

    Usiually a temporary thing, you just get used to it :)

    Bret, Sep 5, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:08:52 +1200, Squirrel <>
    wrote:

    >I like strategy too, shoot me up gets too easy after a while.

    I just have to LOL at that one Squirrel :)

    Bret, Sep 5, 2005
  9. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:49:07 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:08:52 +1200, Squirrel <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I like strategy too, shoot me up gets too easy after a while.

    >I just have to LOL at that one Squirrel :)

    go ahead Bret lol I went right over my head lol

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Sep 6, 2005
  10. Squirrel

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:05:56 +1200, Squirrel <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:49:07 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:08:52 +1200, Squirrel <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I like strategy too, shoot me up gets too easy after a while.

    >>I just have to LOL at that one Squirrel :)

    >go ahead Bret lol I went right over my head lol
    >
    >Squirrel

    It gets hard real quick when someone else is shooting back :)

    Bret, Sep 6, 2005
  11. Squirrel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:48:00 +1200, Waylon Kenning
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> T'was the Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:09:40 +1200 when I remembered Squirrel
    >> <> saying something like this:
    >>
    >>> Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    >>> games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    >>> also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.

    >> Some pretty cool involving games are massively multiplayer online
    >> roleplaying games (MMORGs). They're pretty intense because of the
    >> bond you forge with the community. One example is World of Warcraft
    >> (see www.blizzard.com for that) and a personal favourite of mine is
    >> The Matrix Online ( http://thematrixonline.station.sony.com/ for
    >> that). The disadvantages to those games are their monthly
    >> subscription model, don't get hooked else you're constantly paying
    >> for the game!
    >>
    >> Personally, I'm a fan of real time strategy games, ya'know, playing
    >> war. A couple of good games are Command and Conquer: Generals and Age
    >> of Mythology.
    >>
    >> Some good sites to check out are www.gameplanet.co.nz and
    >> www.gamespot.com.

    > Excellent, just never occured to me I would have to pay lol I pay thru
    > the nose for a half decent BB connection, and have loans out on other
    > gadgets, so forking out to play games wont be happening :)
    >
    > I like strategy too, shoot me up gets too easy after a while.

    All I can say is that I've played many a game over the years but the only
    one that I still play on a regular basis is Diablo 2 with the Lord of
    Destruction expansion. I used to play in single-player mode for years (the
    game is 5 years old and is still a top seller) but changed to on-line play
    when I got ADSL. In fact it was 80% of the reason I got ADSL. You can play
    in games with up to 7 others and there is no monthly fee. (It's made by
    Blizzard, the people who do World of Warcraft).

    There are several friendly communities available where you can meet people
    to play with. One is called 'Tha Amazon Basin', you register and then can
    post in their forums and get passwords to their games. I'm a member but
    prefer to play with the crowd from alt.games.diablo (there is also an
    alt.games.diablo2 but they mainly play on the US East and Europe servers,
    AGD is mainly US West, the fastest server for us).

    The game itself is fairly complex. You can just start a character,
    distribute points and get through normal difficulty. However, if you want to
    be able to get through hell difficulty (after nightmare) you have to plan
    very carefully. If you're interested I suggest you lurk/post in AGD. You'll
    see me in there posting regularly. Either that and/or read this site:

    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/

    It is Blizzard's official D2/LOD site and discusses strategy etc.

    Both the game and expansion are available from DSE for $110 all up. Possibly
    cheaper elsewhere. Some places have the "Battle Chest" which not only
    includes D2 and LOD but the original Diablo as well. Often this is cheaper
    than buying seperately. (Around $100).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 6, 2005
  12. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>Personally, I'm a fan of real time strategy games, ya'know, playing
    >>>war. A couple of good games are Command and Conquer: Generals and Age
    >>>of Mythology.

    >>>Some good sites to check out are www.gameplanet.co.nz and
    >>>www.gamespot.com.

    >>I like strategy too, shoot me up gets too easy after a while.

    > All I can say is that I've played many a game over the years but the only
    > one that I still play on a regular basis is Diablo 2 with the Lord of
    > Destruction expansion.

    I'm the same with the 1995(might have been 97?) classic "Total Annihilation"

    It has multiplayer, but there is pretty much no-one playing it
    anymore... however it works fine over a GPRS connection(no idea on the
    speed, but it's laggy, ~3s to nz sites.) through my cell phone, even
    though it recommends a 56k connection.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 6, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:22:56 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:05:56 +1200, Squirrel <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:49:07 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >>>I just have to LOL at that one Squirrel :)

    >>go ahead Bret lol I went right over my head lol
    >>
    >>Squirrel
    >>

    >It gets hard real quick when someone else is shooting back :)

    lol but with doom etc I found if playing solo, you could learn what
    directions the greeblies went in, and with cheat invincible it was
    even easier

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Sep 6, 2005
  14. Squirrel

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > Just purchased a Toshiba Satellite M50 which I am told is excellent
    > for games. Used to be a big games fan as a teenager, would love to
    > get back into it, either online or alone, need lots of ideas and info,
    > any hard core gamers got any ideas. Never really got into Wolfenstein
    > and Doom etc as the screen play made me sea sick (Its true!!) But like
    > games that you have to think in without having a million key strokes
    > to make one move.
    >
    > Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    > games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    > also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.

    Thinking games against the PC. And Free.

    Jellyfish Lite 3.5 Backgammon.
    Sokomind 3.4 This will give you plenty to think about.

    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Sep 6, 2005
  15. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:04:41 +1200, "KiwiBrian" <>
    wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> Just purchased a Toshiba Satellite M50 which I am told is excellent
    >> for games. Used to be a big games fan as a teenager, would love to
    >> get back into it, either online or alone, need lots of ideas and info,
    >> any hard core gamers got any ideas. Never really got into Wolfenstein
    >> and Doom etc as the screen play made me sea sick (Its true!!) But like
    >> games that you have to think in without having a million key strokes
    >> to make one move.
    >>
    >> Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    >> games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    >> also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.

    >Thinking games against the PC. And Free.
    >
    >Jellyfish Lite 3.5 Backgammon.
    >Sokomind 3.4 This will give you plenty to think about.
    >
    >Brian Tozer

    Backgammon done to death in real life, but must admit this sounds
    interesting, Soko drove me nuts, deleted shortly after loading lol

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Sep 6, 2005
  16. Squirrel

    Starkey Guest

    wrote:

    >Just purchased a Toshiba Satellite M50 which I am told is excellent
    >for games. Used to be a big games fan as a teenager, would love to
    >get back into it, either online or alone, need lots of ideas and info,
    >any hard core gamers got any ideas. Never really got into Wolfenstein
    >and Doom etc as the screen play made me sea sick (Its true!!) But like
    >games that you have to think in without having a million key strokes
    >to make one move.
    >
    >Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    >games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    >also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Squirrel

    Im currently addicted to WoW - World Of Warcraft it has a monthly sub
    of about $20 nz which isnt much,but its the only game im really into
    atm, oh also battlefield 2 online is great too.

    Starkey, Sep 6, 2005
  17. Squirrel

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:04:41 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> Just purchased a Toshiba Satellite M50 which I am told is excellent
    >> for games. Used to be a big games fan as a teenager, would love to
    >> get back into it, either online or alone, need lots of ideas and info,
    >> any hard core gamers got any ideas. Never really got into Wolfenstein
    >> and Doom etc as the screen play made me sea sick (Its true!!) But like
    >> games that you have to think in without having a million key strokes
    >> to make one move.
    >>
    >> Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    >> games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    >> also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.

    > Thinking games against the PC. And Free.
    >
    > Jellyfish Lite 3.5 Backgammon.
    > Sokomind 3.4 This will give you plenty to think about.
    >
    > Brian Tozer

    The fish is hard to beat, but the developer has done nothing with it for
    yonks. Probably better to get GNU bg for windows, it is also free.

    Better if you want to use the bot to learn from, as well as a world class
    opponent on tap.

    There are a lot of free sites for online bg - but you have to put up with
    cheats.

    I spent a LOT of time on microsoft gaming zone backgammon rooms. There was
    a defining moment in 98 when the boss of the site decided anyone who had
    played any anyone else more than 5 times in a row was a cheat and reset all
    their ratings. The whole community got together to deal with it, started
    forums etc. From that grew organized tournaments. They were excellent, and
    probably still are. I haven't been there in years, since I subscribe to a
    pay site.

    The zone is huge - a lot of classic parlour games can be played for free. I
    played a heap of crib and spades as well as bg.
    FWIW at that time the highest rated player was also a kiwi. Turned out he
    lived just up the road from me. Peter Hawkes aka Plodd.

    Warwick, Sep 6, 2005
  18. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:33:51 +1200, Warwick <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:04:41 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
    >
    >> "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just purchased a Toshiba Satellite M50 which I am told is excellent
    >>> for games. Used to be a big games fan as a teenager, would love to
    >>> get back into it, either online or alone, need lots of ideas and info,
    >>> any hard core gamers got any ideas. Never really got into Wolfenstein
    >>> and Doom etc as the screen play made me sea sick (Its true!!) But like
    >>> games that you have to think in without having a million key strokes
    >>> to make one move.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    >>> games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    >>> also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.

    >> Thinking games against the PC. And Free.
    >>
    >> Jellyfish Lite 3.5 Backgammon.
    >> Sokomind 3.4 This will give you plenty to think about.
    >>
    >> Brian Tozer

    >The fish is hard to beat, but the developer has done nothing with it for
    >yonks. Probably better to get GNU bg for windows, it is also free.
    >
    >Better if you want to use the bot to learn from, as well as a world class
    >opponent on tap.
    >
    >There are a lot of free sites for online bg - but you have to put up with
    >cheats.
    >
    >I spent a LOT of time on microsoft gaming zone backgammon rooms. There was
    >a defining moment in 98 when the boss of the site decided anyone who had
    >played any anyone else more than 5 times in a row was a cheat and reset all
    >their ratings. The whole community got together to deal with it, started
    >forums etc. From that grew organized tournaments. They were excellent, and
    >probably still are. I haven't been there in years, since I subscribe to a
    >pay site.
    >
    >The zone is huge - a lot of classic parlour games can be played for free. I
    >played a heap of crib and spades as well as bg.
    >FWIW at that time the highest rated player was also a kiwi. Turned out he
    >lived just up the road from me. Peter Hawkes aka Plodd.

    Cant recall what site I played on, but got sick to death of people,
    who upon realising they were losing would simply cut themselves off,
    leaving me stranded in a game that would not reset for ages, and I
    never logged off just in case the other person hadnt and was caught by
    the phone etc, my politeness was never rewarded.

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Sep 6, 2005
  19. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:23:09 +1200, Starkey <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:09:40 +1200, Squirrel <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Just purchased a Toshiba Satellite M50 which I am told is excellent
    >>for games. Used to be a big games fan as a teenager, would love to
    >>get back into it, either online or alone, need lots of ideas and info,
    >>any hard core gamers got any ideas. Never really got into Wolfenstein
    >>and Doom etc as the screen play made me sea sick (Its true!!) But like
    >>games that you have to think in without having a million key strokes
    >>to make one move.
    >>
    >>Anyone out there keen to mentor me, break me in gently as an almost
    >>games virgin, show me how muchy I can achieve with a BB connection
    >>also, kinda keen on meeting others for a few rounds.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>Squirrel
    >>

    >Im currently addicted to WoW - World Of Warcraft it has a monthly sub
    >of about $20 nz which isnt much,but its the only game im really into
    >atm, oh also battlefield 2 online is great too.

    20 is hard when all your cc's have been chopped up lol Do they take
    ious or even cheques :)

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Sep 6, 2005
  20. Squirrel

    Warwick Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:30:43 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:33:51 +1200, Warwick <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:04:41 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Squirrel" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thinking games against the PC. And Free.
    >>>
    >>> Jellyfish Lite 3.5 Backgammon.
    >>> Sokomind 3.4 This will give you plenty to think about.
    >>>
    >>> Brian Tozer

    >>The fish is hard to beat, but the developer has done nothing with it for
    >>yonks. Probably better to get GNU bg for windows, it is also free.
    >>
    >>Better if you want to use the bot to learn from, as well as a world class
    >>opponent on tap.
    >>
    >>There are a lot of free sites for online bg - but you have to put up with
    >>cheats.
    >>
    >>I spent a LOT of time on microsoft gaming zone backgammon rooms. There was
    >>a defining moment in 98 when the boss of the site decided anyone who had
    >>played any anyone else more than 5 times in a row was a cheat and reset all
    >>their ratings. The whole community got together to deal with it, started
    >>forums etc. From that grew organized tournaments. They were excellent, and
    >>probably still are. I haven't been there in years, since I subscribe to a
    >>pay site.
    >>
    >>The zone is huge - a lot of classic parlour games can be played for free. I
    >>played a heap of crib and spades as well as bg.
    >>FWIW at that time the highest rated player was also a kiwi. Turned out he
    >>lived just up the road from me. Peter Hawkes aka Plodd.
    >>

    > Cant recall what site I played on, but got sick to death of people,
    > who upon realising they were losing would simply cut themselves off,
    > leaving me stranded in a game that would not reset for ages, and I
    > never logged off just in case the other person hadnt and was caught by
    > the phone etc, my politeness was never rewarded.
    >
    > Squirrel

    yes it is a problem. So are booster dumpers, who inflate their rating by
    creating a dumper account, and then playing themselves.

    But there are plenty out there like you and I who value sportsmanship.
    You are also insulated from it if you play tourneys, try gammonzone.

    On a pay site they track the incompletes as a player statistic. It is easy
    to identify droppers and/or people with lousy connectivity. Both are good
    reasons not to play them.

    They also find the booster dumper pairs and reset their ratings.

    Harder to catch are those collaborating with robots inline. But they test
    for that too - especially now since money is involved.

    I also thought I had done the game to death, and thought I was pretty damn
    sharp as well. Went online and found I was a novice. The standard online is
    very high.

    Warwick, Sep 6, 2005