New to DVD Recorders -- which one?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Guy Scharf, Aug 14, 2006.

  1. Guy Scharf

    Guy Scharf Guest

    I've decided I need a DVD recorder. My primary purpose is to make a
    DVD copy of programs recorded on a Dish Network DVR. Secondarily, I
    want to make DVD copies of VHS and SVHS tapes. I prefer using S-Video
    inputs and output. So I think I need two S-Video inputs and one
    output, plus stereo audio signals. I'd also like a tunable RF input in
    case I decide to use it from the DVR remote location, which requires
    using channel 60. However, RF input is not mandatory.

    I would like the video and audio quality to be as good as the original
    signal.

    I also would like to use the unit as a normal DVD player. Do all DVD
    recorders also work as players?

    I'd like to keep the price below $250.

    Are there any recorders that seem to be a very good fit to my desires?

    Where can I find reliable, comparative reviews?

    Thanks!

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Aug 14, 2006

  2. Guy Scharf

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:02:29 -0500, Guy Scharf <>
    wrote:

    >I've decided I need a DVD recorder.

    I recommend you go cheap at first. You can always use the cheap unit
    as a second VCR when its time to get a good unit. Watch this Christmas
    season for hard disk DVRs and for networked units. I am not talking
    about oddball stuff. You should consider Pioneer equipment because it
    has been the best over the years. The others, including Panasonic,
    Philips, Sony, LiteOn, et al, have all had serious problems that come
    from trying to keep costs low. That does not mean Pioneer is perfect -
    it just means on average it has the fewest major problems.

    I am using the ILO DVDR05MU1 with 6.10 firmware from WalMart for $99.
    It works satisfactorily. If it were more expensive I would not buy it,
    but for a hundred bucks and the prospect that it will serve as a
    backup unit one day, I am satisfied. It will play AVI (XviD only)
    which means you do not have to convert.

    Before I buy an upgrade I want to see a unit with Ethernet and dual TV
    tuners at a minimum. I do not need a local DVDR hard disk, although a
    small one may be needed to run the operating system.

    With such a system I can store, edit and play content on my main
    computer. Dual TV tuners would allow recording two shows at once,
    thereby avoiding the hassle of two units. I would use the ILO backup
    for those rare occasions when there are three shows on at the same
    time or when I wanted to record a show to DVD disc and need a separate
    player.

    --

    "One must realize that the world is a network of real and virtual
    combat zones where the stakes are high, struggle is the primary

    Bob, Aug 14, 2006

  3. Guy Scharf

    Guest Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:02:29 -0500, Guy Scharf <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've decided I need a DVD recorder.

    > I recommend you go cheap at first. You can always use the cheap unit
    > as a second VCR when its time to get a good unit. Watch this Christmas
    > season for hard disk DVRs and for networked units. I am not talking
    > about oddball stuff. You should consider Pioneer equipment because it
    > has been the best over the years. The others, including Panasonic,
    > Philips, Sony, LiteOn, et al, have all had serious problems that come
    > from trying to keep costs low. That does not mean Pioneer is perfect -
    > it just means on average it has the fewest major problems.
    >
    > I am using the ILO DVDR05MU1 with 6.10 firmware from WalMart for $99.
    > It works satisfactorily. If it were more expensive I would not buy it,
    > but for a hundred bucks and the prospect that it will serve as a
    > backup unit one day, I am satisfied. It will play AVI (XviD only)
    > which means you do not have to convert.

    A good recommendation. If it weren't for the S-Video requirement, I would
    probably suggest the Lite-On 5115, selling for $110 at Costco.

    I don't know of any recorders that have 2 S-Video inputs. If this is a
    requirement, be prepared to spend about $25 for a passive 4 to 1 switching
    unit.

    Guest, Aug 15, 2006
  4. Guy Scharf

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, <> wrote:

    >"Bob" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:02:29 -0500, Guy Scharf <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've decided I need a DVD recorder.

    >> I recommend you go cheap at first. You can always use the cheap unit
    >> as a second VCR when its time to get a good unit. Watch this Christmas
    >> season for hard disk DVRs and for networked units. I am not talking
    >> about oddball stuff. You should consider Pioneer equipment because it
    >> has been the best over the years. The others, including Panasonic,
    >> Philips, Sony, LiteOn, et al, have all had serious problems that come
    >> from trying to keep costs low. That does not mean Pioneer is perfect -
    >> it just means on average it has the fewest major problems.
    >>
    >> I am using the ILO DVDR05MU1 with 6.10 firmware from WalMart for $99.
    >> It works satisfactorily. If it were more expensive I would not buy it,
    >> but for a hundred bucks and the prospect that it will serve as a
    >> backup unit one day, I am satisfied. It will play AVI (XviD only)
    >> which means you do not have to convert.

    >A good recommendation. If it weren't for the S-Video requirement, I would
    >probably suggest the Lite-On 5115, selling for $110 at Costco.
    >
    >I don't know of any recorders that have 2 S-Video inputs. If this is a
    >requirement, be prepared to spend about $25 for a passive 4 to 1 switching
    >unit.

    My 2 year old Sony has 3 S-Video inputs

    GMAN, Aug 15, 2006
  5. Guy Scharf

    Guy Scharf Guest

    (Bob) wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:02:29 -0500, Guy Scharf <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've decided I need a DVD recorder.

    > I recommend you go cheap at first. You can always use the cheap
    > unit as a second VCR when its time to get a good unit.
    >
    > I am using the ILO DVDR05MU1 with 6.10 firmware from WalMart for
    > $99. It works satisfactorily. If it were more expensive I would
    > not buy it, but for a hundred bucks and the prospect that it will
    > serve as a backup unit one day, I am satisfied. It will play AVI
    > (XviD only) which means you do not have to convert.

    I tried to get an ILO at WalMart today and was told they no longer
    carried them. In cheap DVDRs, the choices were between Magnavox and
    Philips. I got the Philips DVDR 3390 and will install it soon and see
    how well it works.

    Guy

    Guy Scharf, Aug 21, 2006