    I'm also looking to find out about what additional features come with
    digitals that can enhance photographs - compensating for lighting and such.

    Any suggestions for cameras and places to buy them?

    Hope, Dec 26, 2005

  2. Hope

    Smudger Guest

    "Hope" <> wrote in message
    news:htWrf.15103$-nyc.rr.com...
    >I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the switch to
    >digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.
    >
    > I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or auto
    > settings.
    >
    > I'm also thinking of getting something fancier -
    > I'm also looking to find out about what additional features come with
    > digitals that can enhance photographs - compensating for lighting and
    > such.
    >
    > Any suggestions for cameras and places to buy them?

    A Nikon D50 is your ideal entry-level SLR with full manual control - just
    like your F2. At the other end you could go for a D200 or even a D2X. You
    get more pixels on those and a proper metal chassis.

    Problem with Nikon is that they don't have a full-frame SLR which, the Canon
    fans will tell you, is a disaster. It may be that if you have loads of 35mm
    Nikon lenses but if not then it's no big deal as the modern APS
    sensor-dedicated lenses are superb. And you can still use your old lenses
    anyway albiet at a multiplied focal legnth.

    So my recommendation is a D50 (or a second-hand D70), a D200 and whatever
    lenses you want.

    By the way, these will be find for architecture as you can do all your
    correction using Photoshop.

    The only problem you'll have is what compact to buy! If you know the answer
    to that then please tell me.

    Smudger, Dec 26, 2005

  3. Hope wrote:
    > I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the
    > switch to digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.
    >
    > I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or
    > auto settings.

    Hope,

    There is an entire newsgroup devoted to digital SLRs at:

    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    It might be worth scanning through some of the discussions in progress
    there.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 26, 2005
  4. Hope

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:17:49 GMT, Hope <> wrote:

    >I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the switch to
    >digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.
    >
    >I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or auto
    >settings.
    >
    >I'm also thinking of getting something fancier -

    What I'd like is a D200 plus the 18-200 lens. But the weight! Maybe with
    the F2 you are used to heavy cameras. I'm not. Some numbers for you:

    D200 Weight (inc. batteries) 920 g (32.5 oz)
    D70/D70s Weight (inc. batteries) 679 g (24 oz)
    D50 Weight (inc. batteries) 620 g (21.9 oz)
    18-200 lens Weight 1.2 lb (560 g)

    8400 Weight (inc. batteries) 470 g (16.6 oz)
    FZ30 Weight (inc. batteries) 740 g (26.1 oz)
    FZ5 Weight (inc. batteries) 326 g (11.5 oz)

    If you already have a Nikon external flash, then if it is new it would work
    fine with the Nikon digital cameras.

    Don Wiss, Dec 26, 2005
  5. Hope

    Bill Guest

    Hope wrote:

    >I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the switch to
    >digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.

    Welcome to the club...I switched to digital almost a year ago and I
    haven't looked back.

    >I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or auto
    >settings.

    Any of the DSLR models should fit the bill nicely. I think price and
    features will be your basis for a decision.

    >I'm also thinking of getting something fancier -
    >I'm also looking to find out about what additional features come with
    >digitals that can enhance photographs - compensating for lighting and such.

    There are some features that help, but the great advantage of digital is
    the lack of processing fees - you can view and edit the images before
    you get them printed. All it costs is a bit of free time. You can
    compensate for lighting and such on your computer, within limits of
    course.

    >Any suggestions for cameras and places to buy them?

    Since you already have a Nikon F2, it's a good bet you have Nikon
    lenses. If so, then the obvious choice is a Nikon body. Perhaps you
    should visit a camera shop in your area and play with the various models
    and see what you like.

    The D50, D70s, and D200 are all excellent choices.

    Bill, Dec 26, 2005
  6. "Hope" <> wrote in message
    >I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the switch to
    >digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.
    >
    > I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or auto
    > settings.
    >
    > I'm also thinking of getting something fancier -
    > I'm also looking to find out about what additional features come with
    > digitals that can enhance photographs - compensating for lighting and
    > such.
    >
    > Any suggestions for cameras and places to buy them?

    I just purchased the Nikon D50 a few weeks ago, and (so far anyway) I am
    really impressed with it. (My old film camera is a Nikon FE2 fitted with a
    Tamron 35-80 zoom, that I still love.) I worked my digital way up to the D50
    via a Canon 2 Mpix Powershot, then a Minolta 4 Mpix Dimage S404, then a
    Nikon 4 Mpix Coolpix 4300. (I'm keeping the Coolpix as an excellent
    point-and-shoot camera, and also for its super short range macro capability.
    I use this latter function with the Nikon ES-628 slide copying adapter to
    make excellent copies of old 35-mm slides that I am restoring with Adobe
    Photoshop Elememts 2.)
    Jim C.

    James Copeland, Dec 27, 2005