    Im not sure how the technology works so if someone can explain then I'd be
    greatful.
    Aesc-leah

    =?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?=, Dec 4, 2005

  2. You did not say what kind of computer you are buying nor did you indicate
    what kind of programs you plan to run or what peripherals you plan to use
    with the new computer. All of this makes big differences in whether or not
    to use XP x64 or stick with 32-bit Windows. Please take a look at the
    webcast Charlie Russel did just a few weeks ago:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

    Do not confuse the 64-bit processor with the 64-bit operating system. You
    should buy a 64-bit processor since for all practical purposes the end of
    the 32-bit era for processors is here and everything going forward will be
    64-bit.

    32-bit XP runs slightly more efficiently on 64-bit computers than it does on
    32-bit systems and there is no incompatibility when you run 32-bit Windows
    on the newer systems.

    It is not necessary to run the 64-bit edition of XP and unless you expect
    specific advantages, perhaps you should stick with one of the 32-bit
    editions.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005

  3. i didnt mention it becuase its not a specific make, im building it from
    parts, if you want the full spec then its
    AMD x64 3400+
    Asus A8N SLI-deluxe
    Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX
    3Gb RAM

    Ill be using it mainly for gaming and ocasionaly programming etc.
    as for peripherals a printer, scanner etc.
    Ok, so with a 64bit os it can process 64bits in one go, so surely on a 32bit
    OS it can only use 1/2 the processor... am i jst being slightly thick and
    missing something.
    thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?=, Dec 4, 2005
  4. To be honest, you can have 64 bit processor and a 64 bit operating system,
    but it won't make much of a significant difference without the 64 bit
    applications. I agree with Colin B. though, invest in the processor since
    32-bit processors will be kicking the bucket soon, so that when the time
    comes to invest in both the native 64 bit applications, peripherals you will
    be sure that you are ready.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 4, 2005
  5. now im even more confuesed. i thought it was to do with the drivers that
    interfaced with windows...
    and im aware that 32bits are as good as dead...but thats not the topic of
    the question. I asked if there will be a significant increas in performace.
    Or id if i stay wit XP 32bit how does it process? two things at once? or is
    it only using 32bits out of the 64.
    Im not a complete technophobe jst a little bit out of touch with technology
    in its cureent state

    =?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?=, Dec 4, 2005
  6. You keep asking if you are being slightly thick here. Ask often enough and
    somebody may answer that. :)

    It sounds like you are confusing the processor with the memory manager. No,
    using a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor is not like using half the
    processor.

    Why are you planning on buying 3GB of ram? Buy 4GB. Or leave it at 2GB to
    save money. Also, since you are planning to do gaming, I suggest you look
    at an AMD64FX, or go dual core with an AMD64 Athlon x2 4400+ or 4800+.

    Since you are building the system, set it up with three drives. One for XP
    Pro SP2, one for XP Pro x64 in case you decide to dual boot later, and one
    for data.

    Whatever, make sure you put in a 500+ Watt PS and that it is SLI ready.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005
  7. i was planning on going for the FX's later on (money is in short supply)
    i may leave the RAM at 2gb for the time being.
    and thanks ive been tryin to find that out for ages :D no one wud give me a
    straight answer
    ">No,
    > using a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor is not like using half the
    > processor."

    guess i need to do a bit more research. (still doing A-levels at college)
    thanks for being patient :)

    =?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?=, Dec 4, 2005
  8. Take a look at the Overview blog I did last week. Mostly it's links to other
    information I've created, but they really will help you get oriented on what
    the tradeoffs are, who's a good fit for x64 Windows (and who isn't), which
    processors are 64bit, etc., etc.

    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/11/29/77166.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 4, 2005
  9. A 32-bit OS just doesn't use all of the instruction set available on a
    64-bit processor. However, all of the expected 32-bit instructions are
    available as before.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?=

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    I tried but I get:

    We're sorry. We are unable to render the requested presentation.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 5, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?=

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    32-bit programs will be just as fast (or slow depending on how you look at
    it) on an equivelant speed 32- or 64- bit processor and OS. The only real
    difference (besides maybe an enhaced instruction set) is that in theory it
    uses 64-bits for data and hence can store and transfer bigger numbers around
    than you can transfer in 32-bit processors (where the biggest integer you
    could represent in a register was something like 4 billion or 2 raised to
    the power of 32, minus 1 -- now you can store and transfer numbers as big as
    2 raised to the power of 64, minus 1 -- will that make programs faster, I
    doubt it, but depending on what format windows stores dates in and stuff
    like that, an upgrade may be absolutely required if you want the OS to
    function correctly in 20 years or so).

    If all you run is 32-bit programs, then it's not going to be that big of a
    difference UNLESS maybe you did what i did and got a dual-core CPU (which I
    don't think you did from what I read) and in that case the processors
    pretends like it's 2 processors and does twice as much twice as fast, but I
    don't know that it works in 32-bit windows in that mode.

    The only advantage of going to a 64-bit OS right now is, well, err, umm..
    You get to learn what does and doesn't work before everyone else does --
    your whole purpose in life could be to serve as a warning to others...

    To summarize, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but then neither does
    anyone else (I mean how could they know what I'm talking about....) ;->

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 5, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?YWVzY2xlYWhz?=

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Of course those new instructions are basically the same instructions as the
    old instructions except they happen to work on 64-bit registers instead of
    32-bit registers, so instead of AND AX,BX it might be AND.64 AX,BX (or
    whatever appropriate register names are).

    --Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 5, 2005
  13. Ok you are into games. Stuff like farcry and such. I have a feeling With
    the new Games and your SLI. It best to go for windows 64 Pro. See Windows
    64 will be around for a few years.

    =?Utf-8?B?QXRvbA==?=, Dec 5, 2005
  14. 32-bit XP uses two cores just exactly the same as x64 XP.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 5, 2005
  15. There are twice as many registers, they're twice as wide, and they don't use
    x87 registers for math functions except in stupid emulation mode.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 5, 2005