New thread: does 1.6x crop factor multiply EOS 300 kit lens?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Philip Harris, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. blu|shark asked:
    > I don't want to start another thread for yet-another
    > question. does 1.6x crop factor also multiplies
    >EOS 300 kit lens EF-S 18-55mm making them
    > 29-88mm effective?

    Yes, yes, this question has been answered many times on this newsgroup. If
    I look out the window through a 100mm lens setting on my Digital Rebel I
    count exactly as many white stripes in the parking lot as when I look
    through a 160mm lens setting on my 35mm Ricoh SLR.

    I bought my Rebel from Ritzcamera.com with a two lens kit for about $1100.
    The kit included two Sigma lenses:

    - Sigma Mini Zoom Macro 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 II lens
    - Sigma 70-300mm F5-5.d DL Macro Super lens

    I also bought a wide-angle Sigma separately from digitalfotodiscountclub.com
    for about $485:

    - Sigma 15-30mm Zoom lens

    As for the manual focusing questions, I used manual 35mm SLRs for 35 years,
    and got quite used to adusting the aperture with my left hand and the
    shutter speed with my right hand. Time needed to get used to the Digital
    Rebel's single-thumbwheel control: 10 seconds.

    Philip Harris, Dec 30, 2003

  2. An addition to my prior post about Sigma lenses for the EOS Digital Rebel:

    Both Sigma kit lenses work well with manual focusing. I focus manually in
    perhaps 10% of my shooting.

    The Sigma wide angle lens (15-30mm Zoom lens) is slightly more bothersome
    because it requires moving two controls (sliding a barrel and a switch) to
    change back and forth from AF to manual modes.

    Unlike some users I find the focus confirmation beep helpful, letting me
    concentrate more on my subject during manual focusing instead of also
    eyeballing the focus confirmation lamp within the viewfinder, but even
    during manual focus the Digital Rebel gives me four indicators: the beep,
    the focus points, the confirmation lamp, and my own eyes, to tell me when
    focus is correct.

    Philip Harris, Dec 30, 2003