    Integrated Camera(tm) - A Camera with a non removable lens, better sounding
    than a P&S camera. So when a DSLRer talks about his SLR you can talk about
    your Integrated Camera.

    Hugo Drax, Jan 3, 2004

  2. "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    news:bt5k7r$3icui$-berlin.de...
    > New Drax Industries Term
    >
    > Integrated Camera(tm) - A Camera with a non removable lens, better

    sounding
    > than a P&S camera. So when a DSLRer talks about his SLR you can talk about
    > your Integrated Camera.

    I like it. That would make a camera with removable lenses either
    DisIntegrated (I kinda like that one) or else Segregated. Let's go with
    DisIntegrated.

    jp

    Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Hugo Drax

    Robert Lynch Guest

    "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > New Drax Industries Term
    >
    > Integrated Camera(tm) - A Camera with a non removable lens, better

    sounding
    > than a P&S camera. So when a DSLRer talks about his SLR you can talk about
    > your Integrated Camera.

    Um, uh, no. An integrated camera would be/is a camera integrated into
    something
    else, such as a cellular phone with an integrated camera or a PDA with an
    integrated
    camera, etc.

    If you must find a replacement for "P&S", consider "one piece" or "fixed
    lens"
    or some other such drivel.

    Robert Lynch, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Hugo Drax

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I thought that meant one for black and white film only.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Hugo Drax

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Hugo Drax wrote:

    > New Drax Industries Term
    >
    > Integrated Camera(tm) - A Camera with a non removable lens, better sounding
    > than a P&S camera. So when a DSLRer talks about his SLR you can talk about
    > your Integrated Camera.

    It would be possible to have a SLR camera without ability to replace the
    lens. It would also be possible to have replaceable lens on a P&S
    camera, although this might require some redesign. Fact is, most people
    wouldn't know what lens to use for what, or care. I don't want to lug
    around a footlocker full of photographic equipment, I just want to take
    pictures. It's all in what one wants/needs from his camera.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Hugo Drax

    Tore Lund Guest

    Hugo Drax wrote:
    > New Drax Industries Term
    >
    > Integrated Camera(tm) - A Camera with a non removable lens, better sounding
    > than a P&S camera. So when a DSLRer talks about his SLR you can talk about
    > your Integrated Camera.

    We already have the word "compact".
    --
    Tore

    Tore Lund, Jan 3, 2004
  7. >So when a DSLRer talks about his SLR you can talk about
    >your Integrated Camera.

    Are there really no DSLRs with non-removable lenses and no "only electronic
    viewfinder" cameras with removable lenses ? ("Separate optical viewfinder"
    with removable lens does not seem to make sense.)

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Hugo Drax

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Michael Schnell <> writes:
    > Are there really no DSLRs with non-removable lenses

    Olympus E-10/E-20

    > and no "only electronic viewfinder" cameras with removable lenses ?

    Canon XL-1/XL-1S

    Paul Rubin, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Hugo Drax

    Neil Smith Guest

    Maybe 'Integrated Lens Camera' but not Integrated Camera.

    I preferred P&S. Point and Shoot is all there good for.

    Neil Smith, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Hugo Drax

    Graham Guest

    Neil Smith explained on 03/01/2004 :
    > Maybe 'Integrated Lens Camera' but not Integrated Camera.
    >
    > I preferred P&S. Point and Shoot is all there good for.

    P&S only good for point and shoot?...What else would you expect
    them to be good for?

    Graham, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Hugo Drax

    Bill Guest

    Bull!

    Bill, Jan 3, 2004
  12. Hugo Drax

    Bill Guest

    Bravo...........I totally agree. The camera doesn't make the photographer!

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 3, 2004
  13. Hugo Drax

    Aardvark Guest

    "Robert Lynch" <> wrote in message
    > "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > > New Drax Industries Term
    > >
    > > Integrated Camera(tm) - A Camera with a non removable lens,

    better
    > sounding than a P&S camera.

    As opposed to a "disintegrated camera", which what your camera
    becomes after being dropped 5 feet onto a concrete floor.

    Aardvark, Jan 3, 2004
  14. Hugo Drax

    Don Stauffer Guest

    There is a term that predates P&S. These cameras were called box
    cameras. There were essentially four types when I got into photography-
    box cameras, folding cameras, rangefinders, and SLRs. Box cameras were
    ones that didn't fold up for compactness (mostly larger format cameras,
    though there were a few 35 folders- I have a really cute old one), did
    not have rangefinder focusing, and did not have reflex viewing
    (viewfinder through main lens).

    Note that an SLR does not HAVE to have removable lenses to be an SLR- it
    merely has to have folding mirror that brings viewfinder image in
    through main lens.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Jan 3, 2004
  15. As someone who recently expanded from an interchangeable lens rangefinder to
    a digital camera, I must say the term P & S as now used is confusing. At one
    time, point and shoot would have referred only to a fixed focus camera with
    a built-in flash and not to a autofocusing digital camera which is more
    similar to an old fixed lens rangefinder.

    Paul Riemerman

    Paul Riemerman, Jan 3, 2004
  16. On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 10:56:07 GMT, Graham <> wrote:

    >Neil Smith explained on 03/01/2004 :
    >> Maybe 'Integrated Lens Camera' but not Integrated Camera.
    >>
    >> I preferred P&S. Point and Shoot is all there good for.

    >P&S only good for point and shoot?...What else would you expect
    >them to be good for?

    Keeping in your pocket for those times when you see a great scene but
    don't have your DSLR and an appropriate lens with you?

    Getting shots where you don't want to risk damaging or losing your
    DSLR? I'd take the risk of breaking a $300 P&S while parachuting or
    white-water rafting for example, but there is no way I'd take a DSLR
    on that kind of trip.

    A decent photographer should be able to get the best out of any camera
    and while the quality might not be as good, something has to be better
    than nothing, right?

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Jan 3, 2004
  17. > Integrated Camera(tm) - A Camera with a non removable lens, better
    sounding
    > than a P&S camera. So when a DSLRer talks about his SLR you can talk about
    > your Integrated Camera.

    Gee, I would have thought that an Integrated Camera is one that takes
    black-and-white photographs.

    Andrew Koenig, Jan 3, 2004
  18. Hugo Drax

    Sloopy Guest

    In article <>,
    Don Stauffer <> wrote:

    > Note that an SLR does not HAVE to have removable lenses to be an SLR- it
    > merely has to have folding mirror that brings viewfinder image in
    > through main lens.

    Be prepared to have some idiots around here argue with you about that!
    (Note: You should have said "only" rather than "main")

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Jan 3, 2004
  19. On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:09:39 -0800, Sloopy <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Don Stauffer <> wrote:
    >
    >> Note that an SLR does not HAVE to have removable lenses to be an SLR- it
    >> merely has to have folding mirror that brings viewfinder image in
    >> through main lens.

    Doesn't even have to have the flip up mirror. Just a light/beam
    splitter will suffice.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Jan 4, 2004
  20. Hugo Drax

    Neil Smith Guest

    "Paul Riemerman" <> wrote in message news:<3ff6ea9c$>...
    > As someone who recently expanded from an interchangeable lens rangefinder to
    > a digital camera, I must say the term P & S as now used is confusing. At one
    > time, point and shoot would have referred only to a fixed focus camera with
    > a built-in flash and not to a autofocusing digital camera which is more
    > similar to an old fixed lens rangefinder.
    >
    > Paul Riemerman

    Maybe the terms we use are not similiar. I wasn't talking about
    digital cameras when I said P&S 'thats all they're good for'. I class
    these as 'Digital Compacts' and not fixed lensed P&S.

    This is the way I see it.

    Digital SLRs
    A standard SLR with Digital capture to removable media.

    Digital Compacts
    A fully automatic, fixed or zoom lens camera with build in flash,
    capturing images to removable media.

    SLRs
    A 35mm single lens reflex camera using 35mm film.

    Integrated Lens Camera or P&S
    A compact autofocus, fixed lens camera with build in flash, using 35mm
    film. A point and shoot camera.

    There are many others.

    Comments?

    Neil Smith, Jan 4, 2004