    1. Advertising

  1. Mark Robinson

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=-, Nov 9, 2005

  2. Mark Robinson, Nov 9, 2005
  3. Mark Robinson

    Allistar Guest

    Allistar, Nov 9, 2005
  4. news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 9, 2005
  5. news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    > On the phone and highspeed 10gig plan, they are offering 2mbps upstream? I
    > thought telecom banned this, so how can they offer this?
    >
    > Pretty damn expensive really.

    Could well be on their cable network rather than adsl, and yes pretty damned
    expensive.
    Mark Robinson, Nov 9, 2005
  6. Mark Robinson

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 22:28:21 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    >On the phone and highspeed 10gig plan, they are offering 2mbps upstream? I
    >thought telecom banned this, so how can they offer this?
    >
    >Pretty damn expensive really.

    They are all cable plans. ADSL is here
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeedADSL/

    No changes there yet. They are saying it will probably be next year
    before they are ready to anounce the new plans now the commission has
    (probably) beaten some changes out of telecom.
    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, Nov 9, 2005
  7. Mark Robinson

    steve Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > On the phone and highspeed 10gig plan, they are offering 2mbps upstream?
    > I thought telecom banned this, so how can they offer this?

    cable modems, I think. NOT ADSL.
    steve, Nov 9, 2005
  8. Mark Robinson

    shannon Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    > On the phone and highspeed 10gig plan, they are offering 2mbps upstream? I
    > thought telecom banned this, so how can they offer this?
    >
    > Pretty damn expensive really.

    Its a cable modem connection
    shannon, Nov 9, 2005
  9. In article <2tod.net>,
    2tod.net says...
    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    Out of curiosity I did to take a gander at the phone rental + *dsl
    offerings. I wish I could get my phone rental plus a 2 Mbit/10 Gb plan
    for 62 bucks a month. Just now I am paying Telescum 42.09 bucks a month
    for my phone and Iconz 54.95 for a 1Mbit/10Gb plan. Plus I am paying
    individual.net for news access :)

    Doesn't look so bad. I expect they only offer that on their own cable,
    though?!?
    Besides, aren't they the ISP from hell, or was that orcon or worldnet?

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 9, 2005
  10. On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:20:24 +1300, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> wrote:

    >-=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Mark Robinson wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    >> Oh, great! The plans details are pdf. I hate that.

    >Yeah, in another masterpiece of marketing they make their site so it takes
    >piles of drilling down to find a pdf just to find the prices ... they betray
    >their own shame.

    They should also find someone who can proof read their pages before
    they put them up. From the url above.

    "Phoneline and HighSpeed Internet - True Broadband - for those who
    live to and need the phone free for calling."

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Nov 9, 2005
  11. Mark Robinson

    a.d. Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    > How can they call it broadband when it's only 128kbps up? Ridiculous.
    >
    > I can download a 100Mb file in under 10 minutes, yet to upload the same file
    > takes over 2.5 hours.
    >
    > Allistar.

    What the heck? You must be talking about ADSL, not cable.

    The new plans are 2mbps (256Kbps) both ways.

    a.d.
    a.d., Nov 9, 2005
  12. Mark Robinson

    a.d. Guest

    a.d., Nov 9, 2005
  13. Mark Robinson

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Nov 9, 2005
  14. Mark Robinson

    thingy Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    Looked at the plan to replace my old one, no national/international
    split and 1gig less volume for the same $ or even a bit more...

    Theoretically I'd get 2mbps instead of 256k, but in reality its like
    buying a porshe and being stuck at 100kmh anyway or I can stay with a
    mazda 323....same speed in real terms but costs more....(I used to have
    1meg then reduced to 512 then reduced to 256 and it doesnt seem any
    slower)......but I saved $ and got decent volume......

    So much for broadband getting cheaper....not.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 9, 2005
  15. Mark Robinson wrote:

    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    Underwhelming...

    And they have now chosen to do a Telecom by forcing customers who want
    Broadband to purchase a phoneline from them as well, whereas previously
    they were quite happy to sell Cable TV/Internet without the phone.

    I wonder what that means to existing customers who have Cable with no
    phoneline...
    Nathan Mercer, Nov 10, 2005
  16. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    > Underwhelming...
    >
    > And they have now chosen to do a Telecom by forcing customers who want
    > Broadband to purchase a phoneline from them as well, whereas previously
    > they were quite happy to sell Cable TV/Internet without the phone.
    >
    > I wonder what that means to existing customers who have Cable with no
    > phoneline...

    The word is that they will enforce the new rule pushing existing customers onto
    the new plans.

    Also they will push new and existing customers from fixed IP numbers to dynamic.

    This company seems completely intent on destroying itself despite it's new CEO.
    Mark Robinson, Nov 10, 2005
  17. Mark Robinson

    a.d. Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    > Looked at the plan to replace my old one, no national/international
    > split and 1gig less volume for the same $ or even a bit more...
    >
    > Theoretically I'd get 2mbps instead of 256k, but in reality its like
    > buying a porshe and being stuck at 100kmh anyway or I can stay with a
    > mazda 323....same speed in real terms but costs more....(I used to have
    > 1meg then reduced to 512 then reduced to 256 and it doesnt seem any
    > slower)......but I saved $ and got decent volume......
    >
    > So much for broadband getting cheaper....not.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Thing, I rang them yesterday asking about their new stuff in depth. This
    4Gb plan that you speak of is $49.95 in total. If you're on a 5Gb plan
    then you'd be paying more.

    Half their national traffic has been routing overseas for a while now
    anyway.

    Email/call them dude. It's a waste of time asking ill-informed
    newsgroups unless they trawl thru these posts like Orcon does.
    a.d., Nov 10, 2005
  18. Mark Robinson

    a.d. Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Robinson wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/packages/popular_packages_2.cfm

    >> Underwhelming...
    >>
    >> And they have now chosen to do a Telecom by forcing customers who want
    >> Broadband to purchase a phoneline from them as well, whereas previously
    >> they were quite happy to sell Cable TV/Internet without the phone.
    >>
    >> I wonder what that means to existing customers who have Cable with no
    >> phoneline...
    >>

    > The word is that they will enforce the new rule pushing existing
    > customers onto the new plans.
    >
    > Also they will push new and existing customers from fixed IP numbers to
    > dynamic.
    >
    > This company seems completely intent on destroying itself despite it's
    > new CEO.

    What's the point in having a dynamic IP when no one turns their cable
    modem off?
    a.d., Nov 10, 2005
  19. Mark Robinson

    Sue Guest

    a.d. wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>> Underwhelming...
    >>>
    >>> And they have now chosen to do a Telecom by forcing customers who want
    >>> Broadband to purchase a phoneline from them as well, whereas previously
    >>> they were quite happy to sell Cable TV/Internet without the phone.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder what that means to existing customers who have Cable with no
    >>> phoneline...
    >>>

    >> The word is that they will enforce the new rule pushing existing
    >> customers onto the new plans.
    >>
    >> Also they will push new and existing customers from fixed IP numbers
    >> to dynamic.
    >>
    >> This company seems completely intent on destroying itself despite it's
    >> new CEO.

    > What's the point in having a dynamic IP when no one turns their cable
    > modem off?

    my thoughts exactly - my cable modem never gets turned off ...... once
    its got an IP address - that's it ....
    Sue, Nov 10, 2005