    10G usage pack, TelstraClear will automatically allocate you another pack to use
    (of the same size) so you can continue to receive our fast service."

    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/internet/pdq/
    Invisible, Jul 30, 2006

  2. Invisible

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:04:24 +1200, Invisible wrote:

    > Currently I have 3.5mbps/128kbps - 5GB usage for $48.95, on the new
    > plans you choose your speed:
    >
    > 256/128 = $26
    > 2/128 = $36
    > 3.5/128 = $40
    > 3.5/512 $66

    IOW, the price has not changed - it is still charging like a wounded bull
    and still providing totally pathetic upload speeds.

    Any indication of what the contention ratios would be?

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 30, 2006

  3. Invisible

    Guest

    Invisible wrote:

    > Ughh, these look naff.
    >
    > 256/128 = $26
    > 2/128 = $36
    > 3.5/128 = $40
    > 3.5/512 $66

    Totally agreed. There's nothing "new" about them at all.

    > Then choose your "Usage Pack"
    > 1GB = $2.95 / 10gb $11.95

    Making you choose your own "usage pack" seems a waste of time.

    30GB (my current monthly Actrix allocated "usage pack" which costs $35)
    costs nearly $90 if I use 1GB "usage packs" but only $36 if I use the
    10 GB "usage packs".

    Why don't they just charge $1.20 per GB (10GB "usage pack" divided by
    10) and be done with it.

    The 1GB for nearly $3 is a straight rip-off. Although there will be
    some exceptions, people who use broadband will use up 1 GB fairly
    quickly.

    > "We won't downgrade you to dial up speeds.

    Perhaps the only good thing about being throttled back to dial-up is
    that, with a constant connection, you can add up to an additional
    20-25% to your monthy usage and not be charged for it. In my case
    that's nearly an additional 10 GB per month for no charge. Making the
    best of a bad situation.

    Sorry TelstraClear. I'll stick with Actrix for a few more months (at
    least until the proposed Telecom launch of ADSL2+ in October.....yeah
    right)

    Regards
    Miguel
    , Jul 30, 2006
  4. Invisible

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:45:49 +1200, MaHogany <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:04:24 +1200, Invisible wrote:
    >
    >> Currently I have 3.5mbps/128kbps - 5GB usage for $48.95, on the new
    >> plans you choose your speed:
    >>
    >> 256/128 = $26
    >> 2/128 = $36
    >> 3.5/128 = $40
    >> 3.5/512 $66

    >IOW, the price has not changed - it is still charging like a wounded bull
    >and still providing totally pathetic upload speeds.
    >
    >Any indication of what the contention ratios would be?
    >

    >Ma Hogany

    The price has changed. The new conditions require you to make $10 toll
    calls or they will charge you for them anyway. A big price increase
    for me because I avoid making phone calls.

    Roll on naked DSL!

    Bruce.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, Jul 31, 2006
  5. Invisible

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:33:41 +1200, Bruce Knox wrote:

    >>IOW, the price has not changed - it is still charging like a wounded bull
    >>and still providing totally pathetic upload speeds.
    >>
    >>Any indication of what the contention ratios would be?
    >>

    >>Ma Hogany

    > The price has changed. The new conditions require you to make $10 toll
    > calls or they will charge you for them anyway. A big price increase
    > for me because I avoid making phone calls.

    I see.

    You didn't mention a prerequisite compulsary charge of $10.

    That would make it a substantial price increase, IMHO. $26-$36 is about a
    40% increase.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 31, 2006
  6. Invisible

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:33:41 +1200, Bruce Knox <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:45:49 +1200, MaHogany <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:04:24 +1200, Invisible wrote:
    >>
    >>> Currently I have 3.5mbps/128kbps - 5GB usage for $48.95, on the new
    >>> plans you choose your speed:
    >>>
    >>> 256/128 = $26
    >>> 2/128 = $36
    >>> 3.5/128 = $40
    >>> 3.5/512 $66

    >>IOW, the price has not changed - it is still charging like a wounded bull
    >>and still providing totally pathetic upload speeds.
    >>
    >>Any indication of what the contention ratios would be?
    >>

    >>Ma Hogany

    >The price has changed. The new conditions require you to make $10 toll
    >calls or they will charge you for them anyway. A big price increase
    >for me because I avoid making phone calls.
    >
    >Roll on naked DSL!

    Definitely not cheaper. If you use 5gb at 3.5Mbps it'll cost $54.75 as opposed
    to the current $48.95. Even dropping down to 2Mbps speed/5gb will cost more than
    the current plans.

    Being throttled doesn't bother me. I usually go easy and then leech like a mofo
    during the last few days and end up getting 9-12GB down. This new way, the more
    you use the more you pay.

    "Faster, cheaper".... someone has a busted calculator.
    Invisible, Jul 31, 2006
  7. Invisible

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:38:18 +1200, Invisible wrote:

    > "Faster, cheaper".... someone has a busted calculator.

    Not sure I'd agree with that statement.

    They make money faster, and it costs them less. ;o)

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Jul 31, 2006
  8. Invisible

    Allistar Guest

    Invisible wrote:

    > Ughh, these look naff.
    >
    > Currently I have 3.5mbps/128kbps - 5GB usage for $48.95, on the new plans
    > you choose your speed:
    >
    > 256/128 = $26
    > 2/128 = $36
    > 3.5/128 = $40
    > 3.5/512 $66
    >
    > Then choose your "Usage Pack"
    > 1GB = $2.95 / 10gb $11.95
    >
    > "We won't downgrade you to dial up speeds. Once you go over your chosen 1G
    > or 10G usage pack, TelstraClear will automatically allocate you another
    > pack to use (of the same size) so you can continue to receive our fast
    > service."
    >
    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/internet/pdq/

    Doesn't seem cheaper but at least I can now get a 512kb upload speed. I've
    just rung them and upgraded. I've had ADSL for 5 years and only now can I
    say I've got a true broadband connection. Not like the "fraudband" I was
    previously offered. As long as it's sub $100 per month, I'm happy to pay
    for 4x the upload bandwidth.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 31, 2006