New Telecom plans

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ferg, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    OK. So what is going on... My understanding is that Telesum is planning to
    release a new 2Mb/192Kb flat rate plan on the 24th.

    I would have thought that ISPs would be able to onsell this the same way
    they are the current 256/128 plans.

    So I emailed Ihug to ask them about it, correspondence quoted:

    >> enquiry: What is Ihug doing about the new Telecom plans due on the 24th
    >> October? How do I chnage to the 2Mb/192Kb flatrate plan?
    >>
    >> Ferg
    >>
    >> PS. I would prefer an email to a phone call.

    ?> interested_in: jetstream

    >Hi Fergus,


    >I'm sorry to inform you but we are not reselling JetStream products and we
    >will not be offering a 192k plan. All our new plans for ADSL are 256k and
    >are all wholly through ihug. Thanks for your question >and don't hesitate
    >to call or email back with any further questions!


    >Regards,


    >Debra
    >--
    >Sales Team
    >0800 438 448 ext 9793
    >



    So I am quite surprised here! Looks like Ihug will be losing my business!

    Ferg
    Ferg, Oct 11, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ferg

    EMB Guest

    Ferg wrote:
    >
    > So I am quite surprised here! Looks like Ihug will be losing my business!


    That's much the same response I got from them. They don't seem to care
    about being competitive or market leaders any more. I'm willing to wait
    and see if the likely mass exodus of customers makes them reconsider -
    my guess is that they'll change their mind on this by Xmas.


    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Oct 11, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ferg

    Hmmm Guest

    Ferg wrote:
    > OK. So what is going on... My understanding is that Telesum is planning to
    > release a new 2Mb/192Kb flat rate plan on the 24th.
    >
    > I would have thought that ISPs would be able to onsell this the same way
    > they are the current 256/128 plans.
    >
    > So I emailed Ihug to ask them about it, correspondence quoted:
    >
    >
    >>>enquiry: What is Ihug doing about the new Telecom plans due on the 24th
    >>>October? How do I chnage to the 2Mb/192Kb flatrate plan?
    >>>
    >>>Ferg
    >>>
    >>>PS. I would prefer an email to a phone call.

    >
    > ?> interested_in: jetstream
    >
    >
    >>Hi Fergus,

    >
    >
    >>I'm sorry to inform you but we are not reselling JetStream products and we
    >>will not be offering a 192k plan. All our new plans for ADSL are 256k and
    >>are all wholly through ihug. Thanks for your question >and don't hesitate
    >>to call or email back with any further questions!

    >
    >
    >>Regards,

    >
    >
    >>Debra
    >>--
    >>Sales Team
    >>0800 438 448 ext 9793
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > So I am quite surprised here! Looks like Ihug will be losing my business!
    >
    > Ferg
    >
    >


    Join orcon then :), but anyway if you go with those plans you are just
    supporting telecom, i dont blame ihug for taking them up. However early
    next year, well supposedly early (telecom will delay as much as they can
    like normal) telecom should be wholesaling the faster plans and then i
    am sure you will ihug and other isp's take up those plans.

    But on principle alone you should avoid those plans, unless you like
    supporting telescum




    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
    Hmmm, Oct 11, 2004
    #3
  4. Ferg

    Your name Guest

    Re: New Telecom plans!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    IHUG's new plan is no match to Orcon's,
    then it's not reselling Telecom's 2M plans...
    Q. is IHUG trying to kick out all its customers?

    Orcon 256k BitStream
    256k/128k
    Data cap: Unlimited
    Speed: No slow-down at all.
    $49.95

    while

    IHUG bliink without ihug tolls
    256k/128k
    Data cap:
    20 GB traffic "when you are awake" (8am - Midnight)
    20 GB traffic "while you are sleeping" (Midnight - 8am)
    Speed: limited to 64k after a quota has been reached.
    $59.95
    Your name, Oct 11, 2004
    #4
  5. Ferg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    news:ckd44n$b7c$...
    > Ferg wrote:
    >>
    >> So I am quite surprised here! Looks like Ihug will be losing my business!

    >
    > That's much the same response I got from them. They don't seem to care
    > about being competitive or market leaders any more. I'm willing to wait
    > and see if the likely mass exodus of customers makes them reconsider - my
    > guess is that they'll change their mind on this by Xmas.
    >
    >
    > --
    > EMB


    You're hopeful. ihug was only competitive up to when the Wood brothers sold
    it off to an Aussie internet outfit. Too bad a NZ company didn't see the
    great opportunity to grab the well established outfit.
    ihug plans would be realistic if it didn't involve being forced to dump
    Telecom's fully reliable phone services to use ihug's struggling little
    phone service instead in order to get a decent internet plan price.

    These days being with ihug is hardly any different than being with the much
    larger Telecom/Xtra outfit who charge as much as they can compared to the
    more competitive internet outfits.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 11, 2004
    #5
  6. In article <ckd44n$b7c$> in nz.comp on Mon, 11 Oct 2004
    18:05:47 +1300, EMB <> says...
    > Ferg wrote:
    > >
    > > So I am quite surprised here! Looks like Ihug will be losing my business!

    >
    > That's much the same response I got from them. They don't seem to care
    > about being competitive or market leaders any more. I'm willing to wait
    > and see if the likely mass exodus of customers makes them reconsider -
    > my guess is that they'll change their mind on this by Xmas.


    The market leader has to be in servitude to Telecom? Boy you sure got
    that wrong. Ihug have invested a lot in their satellite technology and
    local infrastructure in order to be as free as possible of Telecom's
    dominance of the marketplace.
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 11, 2004
    #6
  7. Re: New Telecom plans!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    In article <Xns957FC0E961B47Youremailyoucompanyc@203.109.252.31> in
    nz.comp on Mon, 11 Oct 2004 05:57:25 +0000 (UTC), Your name
    <> says...
    > IHUG's new plan is no match to Orcon's,
    > then it's not reselling Telecom's 2M plans...
    > Q. is IHUG trying to kick out all its customers?
    >
    > Orcon 256k BitStream
    > 256k/128k
    > Data cap: Unlimited
    > Speed: No slow-down at all.
    > $49.95
    >
    > while
    >
    > IHUG bliink without ihug tolls
    > 256k/128k
    > Data cap:
    > 20 GB traffic "when you are awake" (8am - Midnight)
    > 20 GB traffic "while you are sleeping" (Midnight - 8am)
    > Speed: limited to 64k after a quota has been reached.
    > $59.95


    And how many Ihug users do you see on here complaining about Ihug's news
    service or their service in general?
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 11, 2004
    #7
  8. Ferg

    EMB Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > The market leader has to be in servitude to Telecom? Boy you sure got
    > that wrong. Ihug have invested a lot in their satellite technology and
    > local infrastructure in order to be as free as possible of Telecom's
    > dominance of the marketplace.


    Ihug's satellite offering is as good as dead - it's still expensive and
    still crippled by low data caps and 33K6 max upstream. IMO they are
    trying to kill it off because it was a day late and a dollar short.
    Their UBS pricing isn't competitive despite their costs being the same
    (or even less) than competing ISPs. Greedy foreign owners have fscked
    what was a pretty good ISP - look at all the top notch staff they have
    lost and ask yourself why they have abandoned ship.


    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Oct 11, 2004
    #8
  9. In article <ckdcu0$h04$> in nz.comp on Mon, 11 Oct 2004
    20:35:48 +1300, EMB <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > The market leader has to be in servitude to Telecom? Boy you sure got
    > > that wrong. Ihug have invested a lot in their satellite technology and
    > > local infrastructure in order to be as free as possible of Telecom's
    > > dominance of the marketplace.

    >
    > Ihug's satellite offering is as good as dead - it's still expensive and
    > still crippled by low data caps and 33K6 max upstream. IMO they are
    > trying to kill it off because it was a day late and a dollar short.
    > Their UBS pricing isn't competitive despite their costs being the same
    > (or even less) than competing ISPs.


    Competitive compared to who?

    (Other than Xtra or Orcon)
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 11, 2004
    #9
  10. Re: New Telecom plans!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:29:47 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <Xns957FC0E961B47Youremailyoucompanyc@203.109.252.31> in
    > nz.comp on Mon, 11 Oct 2004 05:57:25 +0000 (UTC), Your name
    > <> says...
    >> IHUG's new plan is no match to Orcon's,
    >> then it's not reselling Telecom's 2M plans...
    >> Q. is IHUG trying to kick out all its customers?
    >>
    >> Orcon 256k BitStream
    >> 256k/128k
    >> Data cap: Unlimited
    >> Speed: No slow-down at all.
    >> $49.95
    >>
    >> while
    >>
    >> IHUG bliink without ihug tolls
    >> 256k/128k
    >> Data cap:
    >> 20 GB traffic "when you are awake" (8am - Midnight)
    >> 20 GB traffic "while you are sleeping" (Midnight - 8am)
    >> Speed: limited to 64k after a quota has been reached.
    >> $59.95

    >
    > And how many Ihug users do you see on here complaining about Ihug's news
    > service or their service in general?


    Is there more than one of them then?


    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
    wogers nemesis, Oct 11, 2004
    #10
  11. Ferg

    EMB Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    >
    > Competitive compared to who?


    World-Net, Slingshot, Maxnet.....and why not Orcon?


    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Oct 11, 2004
    #11
  12. In article <ckdh24$k08$> in nz.comp on Mon, 11 Oct 2004
    21:46:17 +1300, EMB <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > Competitive compared to who?

    >
    > World-Net, Slingshot, Maxnet.....and why not Orcon?


    People were singing the praises of Orcon for a while, then all of a
    sudden the same people were complaining long and loud about Orcon's news
    server and other aspects of their service.
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 11, 2004
    #12
  13. Ferg

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:34:11 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >ihug plans would be realistic if it didn't involve being forced to dump
    >Telecom's fully reliable phone services to use ihug's struggling little
    >phone service instead in order to get a decent internet plan price.
    >

    I use the iHug phone service and it is brilliant. It is consistently
    cheaper than Telecom's on-of-on-off-on-off special offers.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 11, 2004
    #13
  14. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <ckdh24$k08$> in nz.comp on Mon, 11 Oct 2004
    > 21:46:17 +1300, EMB <> says...
    >> Patrick Dunford wrote:


    > People were singing the praises of Orcon for a while, then all of a
    > sudden the same people were complaining long and loud about Orcon's news
    > server and other aspects of their service.


    I think the 2Mb downstream outweighs poor news service for me...

    Ferg
    Ferg, Oct 11, 2004
    #14
  15. Ferg

    richard Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > I use the iHug phone service and it is brilliant. It is consistently
    > cheaper than Telecom's on-of-on-off-on-off special offers.


    how do you find it for latency etc? I know a couple of people that are thinking
    of getting it on there wired country connections, but are a bit hesatant because
    of concerns over quality of it.

    You only have to look at the recent posts on some of the forums of people with
    upload issues to understand where the concern comes from.
    richard, Oct 11, 2004
    #15
  16. Ferg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    news:eatad.12236$...
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> I use the iHug phone service and it is brilliant. It is consistently
    >> cheaper than Telecom's on-of-on-off-on-off special offers.

    >
    > how do you find it for latency etc? I know a couple of people that are
    > thinking of getting it on there wired country connections, but are a bit
    > hesatant because of concerns over quality of it.
    >
    > You only have to look at the recent posts on some of the forums of people
    > with upload issues to understand where the concern comes from.


    Just check out ihug's MOTD for the rest of the year. If it handles the
    Christmas demand, that'll be something in it's favour.

    If it's so good ihug wouldn't be pushing it by only offering fair internet
    prices only as long as you take the full phone service as well.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 11, 2004
    #16
  17. Ferg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Ferg wrote:
    >>
    >> So I am quite surprised here! Looks like Ihug will be losing my
    >> business!

    >
    > That's much the same response I got from them. They don't seem to
    > care about being competitive or market leaders any more. I'm willing
    > to wait and see if the likely mass exodus of customers makes them
    > reconsider - my guess is that they'll change their mind on this by
    > Xmas.


    You guys don't understand. Telecom was supposed to make this whole 2MB thing
    (UBS) available wholesale by now. Several other ISPs announced 256 plans
    early and were hoping to implement faster plans over the next few weeks.
    Telecom reneged on the deal, citing unaviodable delays, only allowing the
    other ISPs 256 plans while still rolling out the 2MB plans themselves.

    It reeks I tell ya.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2004
    #17
  18. Ferg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hmmm wrote:
    > Ferg wrote:
    >> OK. So what is going on... My understanding is that Telesum is
    >> planning to release a new 2Mb/192Kb flat rate plan on the 24th.
    >>
    >> I would have thought that ISPs would be able to onsell this the same
    >> way they are the current 256/128 plans.
    >>
    >> So I emailed Ihug to ask them about it, correspondence quoted:
    >>
    >>
    >>>> enquiry: What is Ihug doing about the new Telecom plans due on the
    >>>> 24th October? How do I chnage to the 2Mb/192Kb flatrate plan?
    >>>>
    >>>> Ferg
    >>>>
    >>>> PS. I would prefer an email to a phone call.

    >>
    >>> interested_in: jetstream

    >>
    >>
    >>> Hi Fergus,

    >>
    >>
    >>> I'm sorry to inform you but we are not reselling JetStream products
    >>> and we will not be offering a 192k plan. All our new plans for ADSL
    >>> are 256k and are all wholly through ihug. Thanks for your question
    >>> >and don't hesitate to call or email back with any further
    >>> questions!

    >>
    >>
    >>> Regards,

    >>
    >>
    >>> Debra
    >>> --
    >>> Sales Team
    >>> 0800 438 448 ext 9793
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> So I am quite surprised here! Looks like Ihug will be losing my
    >> business!
    >>
    >> Ferg
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Join orcon then :), but anyway if you go with those plans you are just
    > supporting telecom, i dont blame ihug for taking them up. However
    > early
    > next year, well supposedly early (telecom will delay as much as they
    > can
    > like normal)


    Yep. It was supposed to be Oct 1st but then was Telecom say they wre
    unavoidably able to supply at that date (although they can roll out the
    service themselves and they'd account for above 50% of the uptake). Now it's
    April of '05. What's the bet it's delayed further?

    > telecom should be wholesaling the faster plans and then i
    > am sure you will ihug and other isp's take up those plans.
    >
    > But on principle alone you should avoid those plans, unless you like
    > supporting telescum


    If only there were more options......
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2004
    #18
  19. Ferg

    Hmmm Guest

    Re: New Telecom plans!!!!!!!!!!!!1


    >
    >>IHUG's new plan is no match to Orcon's,
    >>then it's not reselling Telecom's 2M plans...
    >>Q. is IHUG trying to kick out all its customers?
    >>
    >>Orcon 256k BitStream
    >>256k/128k
    >>Data cap: Unlimited
    >>Speed: No slow-down at all.
    >>$49.95
    >>
    >>while
    >>
    >>IHUG bliink without ihug tolls
    >>256k/128k
    >>Data cap:
    >>20 GB traffic "when you are awake" (8am - Midnight)
    >>20 GB traffic "while you are sleeping" (Midnight - 8am)
    >>Speed: limited to 64k after a quota has been reached.
    >>$59.95

    >
    >
    > And how many Ihug users do you see on here complaining about Ihug's news
    > service or their service in general?


    Heh ,yeah cause the majority of users use the news service on ihug - NOT..

    For most people news service never even comes into the picture.






    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
    Hmmm, Oct 11, 2004
    #19
  20. Ferg

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > I use the iHug phone service and it is brilliant. It is consistently
    > cheaper than Telecom's on-of-on-off-on-off special offers.


    It's dearer than Telecom's home business pricing - especially for
    landline-cellphone calls.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Oct 11, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paul

    UBS & new Telecom plans

    Paul, Oct 25, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    516
    Mutley
    Oct 30, 2004
  2. Rob J

    New Telecom plans a rip off

    Rob J, Feb 13, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    647
    MarkH
    Feb 15, 2006
  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    new telecom plans

    news.xtra.co.nz, Feb 28, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    706
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    Mar 4, 2006
  4. hamstar
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    289
    J Brockley
    Mar 20, 2006
  5. whome

    New Telecom ADSL Plans

    whome, Sep 24, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    737
    MaHogany
    Oct 1, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page