    give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.

    Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    $29.95 but they won't...
    Rob J, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Rob J

    jedmeister Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have your
    > tolls with Telecom.
    >
    > Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    >
    > Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    >
    > The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will now
    > give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    >
    > Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    > $29.95 but they won't...

    Something is seriously fucked up , when telecom can drop their business
    broadband prices 90% overnight.

    Whoever heard of a business in a truly competitive environment being able to
    cut prices so much?
    jedmeister, Feb 13, 2006

  3. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:17:34 +1300, jedmeister wrote:

    > Something is seriously fucked up , when telecom can drop their business
    > broadband prices 90% overnight.
    >
    > Whoever heard of a business in a truly competitive environment being able
    > to cut prices so much?

    Since *when* has Telecom *ever* been operating in a truly competitive
    environment?

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
    so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 13, 2006
  4. Rob J

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Rob J <> wrote:

    > You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have your
    > tolls with Telecom.
    >
    > Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    >
    > Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    >
    > The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will now
    > give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    >
    > Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    > $29.95 but they won't...

    The plans they are are *just* enough to keep the commerce commission
    from recommending that Telecom be regulated. If they were regulated then
    I would either expect prices to be lower or data rates/caps higher.
    whoisthis, Feb 13, 2006
  5. Rob J

    Philip Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    >> You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have your
    >> tolls with Telecom.
    >>
    >> Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    >>
    >> Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    >>
    >> The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will now
    >> give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    >>
    >> Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    >> $29.95 but they won't...

    > The plans they are are *just* enough to keep the commerce commission
    > from recommending that Telecom be regulated. If they were regulated then
    > I would either expect prices to be lower or data rates/caps higher.

    A data cap of 200 MB is a joke - as are the prices and speeds they propose.

    We need to get this out to the world - anyone got a contact at The
    Register to try to interest them in a contest to find the world's worst
    broadband offer - starting with Telecom's starter business package?

    Philip
    Philip, Feb 13, 2006
  6. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:33:34 +1300, Rob J wrote:

    > You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have your
    > tolls with Telecom.
    >
    > Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    >
    > Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    >
    > The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will now
    > give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    >
    > Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    > $29.95 but they won't...

    I hear Telecom has an awesome unlimited plan for just $27.95 per month.

    Speed is supposedly 56/33.
    Abstract Reasoning, Feb 13, 2006
  7. Rob J

    thingy Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have your
    > tolls with Telecom.
    >
    > Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    >
    > Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    >
    > The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will now
    > give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    >
    > Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    > $29.95 but they won't...

    My 256k is 5 gig international, 50 gig National, $57 a month.....or $81
    incl phone....

    Apparantly Clear is coming out with new plans shortly, but they are
    still more expenive for less than what I have.....nuts really....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Feb 13, 2006
  8. Rob J

    shannon Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:12:26 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:17:34 +1300, jedmeister wrote:
    >
    >> Something is seriously fucked up , when telecom can drop their business
    >> broadband prices 90% overnight.
    >>
    >> Whoever heard of a business in a truly competitive environment being able
    >> to cut prices so much?

    > Since *when* has Telecom *ever* been operating in a truly competitive
    > environment?

    Since it bought AAPT :-D
    shannon, Feb 13, 2006
  9. Rob J

    David Guest

    Abstract Reasoning wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:33:34 +1300, Rob J wrote:
    >
    >> You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have your
    >> tolls with Telecom.
    >>
    >> Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    >>
    >> Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    >>
    >> The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will now
    >> give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    >>
    >> Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    >> $29.95 but they won't...

    > I hear Telecom has an awesome unlimited plan for just $27.95 per month.
    >
    > Speed is supposedly 56/33.

    No, its $67.90. You left off the line rental.
    Also, the speed is closer to 40/33 on most lines, probably more like 28
    or 14 for some.
    David, Feb 13, 2006
  10. Rob J

    Kent Smith Guest

    "jedmeister" <> wrote in message

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >> You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have your
    >> tolls with Telecom.
    >>
    >> Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    >>
    >> Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    >>
    >> The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will now
    >> give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    >>
    >> Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    >> $29.95 but they won't...

    > Something is seriously fucked up , when telecom can drop their business
    > broadband prices 90% overnight.
    >
    > Whoever heard of a business in a truly competitive environment being able
    > to cut prices so much?

    It's amazing what can be done with the simple threat of the 'R' word.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Feb 13, 2006
  11. Rob J

    jedmeister Guest

    "A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:17:34 +1300, jedmeister wrote:
    >
    >> Something is seriously fucked up , when telecom can drop their business
    >> broadband prices 90% overnight.
    >>
    >> Whoever heard of a business in a truly competitive environment being able
    >> to cut prices so much?

    > Since *when* has Telecom *ever* been operating in a truly competitive
    > environment?
    >

    > A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that
    > is
    > so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask
    > him
    > what decade he plans to release it."

    It's what the govt believe judging by their actions in the last 10 years.

    I don't see the govt changing despite pretty words..
    jedmeister, Feb 13, 2006
  12. Rob J

    jedmeister Guest

    "shannon" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:12:26 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:17:34 +1300, jedmeister wrote:
    >>
    >>> Something is seriously fucked up , when telecom can drop their business
    >>> broadband prices 90% overnight.
    >>>
    >>> Whoever heard of a business in a truly competitive environment being
    >>> able
    >>> to cut prices so much?

    >> Since *when* has Telecom *ever* been operating in a truly competitive
    >> environment?

    > Since it bought AAPT :-D

    he he just shows how clever the telecom bosses really are. It is easy to
    run a telco in a monopoly environment, but AAPT showed just how inept
    telecom really are with regard to real businesses.
    jedmeister, Feb 13, 2006
  13. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:33:34 +1300, Rob J wrote:
    >
    > > You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have your
    > > tolls with Telecom.
    > >
    > > Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    > >
    > > Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    > >
    > > The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will now
    > > give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    > >
    > > Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    > > $29.95 but they won't...

    > I hear Telecom has an awesome unlimited plan for just $27.95 per month.
    >
    > Speed is supposedly 56/33.

    $15 from Ihug
    Telecom now have $15 for 150 hours.
    Rob J, Feb 14, 2006
  14. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <L6XHf.144533$>,
    says...
    > Abstract Reasoning wrote:
    > > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:33:34 +1300, Rob J wrote:
    > >
    > >> You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have your
    > >> tolls with Telecom.
    > >>
    > >> Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    > >>
    > >> Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    > >>
    > >> The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will now
    > >> give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    > >>
    > >> Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap for
    > >> $29.95 but they won't...

    > > I hear Telecom has an awesome unlimited plan for just $27.95 per month.
    > >
    > > Speed is supposedly 56/33.

    > No, its $67.90. You left off the line rental.

    No, it's $27.95

    The broadband plans don't include line rental in their charges.
    Rob J, Feb 14, 2006
  15. Rob J

    Richard Guest

    Rob J wrote:

    >>No, its $67.90. You left off the line rental.

    > No, it's $27.95
    >
    > The broadband plans don't include line rental in their charges.

    Yes, however for broadband its not required as it is with dialup, its just
    telecom choose to market it that dialtone service is a pre-requisite for an
    internet connection, whereas for dialup then you do need to buy dialtone service.
    Richard, Feb 14, 2006
  16. Rob J

    MarkH Guest

    Rob J <> wrote in

    > In article <L6XHf.144533$>,
    > says...
    >> Abstract Reasoning wrote:

    >> > I hear Telecom has an awesome unlimited plan for just $27.95 per
    >> > month.
    >> >
    >> > Speed is supposedly 56/33.

    >> No, its $67.90. You left off the line rental.

    > No, it's $27.95

    Surely it depends on your needs?

    If you need to have a phone line anyway the broadband is cheaper because
    you can have your phone line and use the internet simultaneously. With
    unlimited dialup you will use the phone line and won't have it available
    for voice calls, so you may opt for a second phone line, making it dearer
    than broadband even when using a $9.95 dialup plan from another ISP.

    If you didn't need a phone line, but were forced to have one for either
    dialup or broadband then broadband is dearer.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Feb 14, 2006
  17. Rob J

    Andrew Guest

    David wrote:
    > Abstract Reasoning wrote:
    >> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:33:34 +1300, Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >>> You can have 200 MB a month, 256K for $29.95, only if you also have
    >>> your tolls with Telecom.
    >>>
    >>> Compare that to Orcon, $29.95 with tolls for 1 GB, 256K.
    >>>
    >>> Or Ihug, 500 MB, 2M, $29.95 with tolls.
    >>>
    >>> The rest of Telecom's plans are faster, but not cheaper. They will
    >>> now give 512K upload speed on some of the higher priced plans.
    >>>
    >>> Someone should be doing a 256K plan with rate limiting over the cap
    >>> for $29.95 but they won't...

    >> I hear Telecom has an awesome unlimited plan for just $27.95 per month.
    >>
    >> Speed is supposedly 56/33.

    > No, its $67.90. You left off the line rental.
    > Also, the speed is closer to 40/33 on most lines, probably more like 28
    > or 14 for some.

    A second phone line is only $20.... how do you get $67.90?

    If thats the price of the main phone line then you need that for
    broadband also
    Andrew, Feb 14, 2006
  18. Rob J

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Rob J wrote:
    >
    >>> No, its $67.90. You left off the line rental.

    >> No, it's $27.95
    >>
    >> The broadband plans don't include line rental in their charges.

    > Yes, however for broadband its not required as it is with dialup, its
    > just telecom choose to market it that dialtone service is a
    > pre-requisite for an internet connection, whereas for dialup then you
    > do need to buy dialtone service.

    What are you saying? Speak English man. I can't have my phone disconnected
    and save $40 a month and still get ADSL. Can I? If I'm right and I can't,
    then your argument is specious at best.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 14, 2006
  19. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43f1c7ce$>, says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    >
    > >>No, its $67.90. You left off the line rental.

    > > No, it's $27.95
    > >
    > > The broadband plans don't include line rental in their charges.

    > Yes, however for broadband its not required as it is with dialup, its just
    > telecom choose to market it that dialtone service is a pre-requisite for an
    > internet connection, whereas for dialup then you do need to buy dialtone service.

    It means they are charged on the same basis i.e. a phone line rental
    plus the cost of the internet plan on top of it.

    Telstra also only sells their broadband plans with a phone line rental.
    Rob J, Feb 15, 2006
  20. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <1ZsIf.42173$>,
    says...
    > Rob J <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <L6XHf.144533$>,
    > > says...

    > >> No, its $67.90. You left off the line rental.

    > > No, it's $27.95

    > Surely it depends on your needs?
    >
    > If you need to have a phone line anyway the broadband is cheaper because
    > you can have your phone line and use the internet simultaneously. With
    > unlimited dialup you will use the phone line and won't have it available
    > for voice calls, so you may opt for a second phone line, making it dearer
    > than broadband even when using a $9.95 dialup plan from another ISP.

    I have one phone line, call waiting and a caller alert box that
    disconnects the internet when someone calls me.
    Rob J, Feb 15, 2006