    mb/sec (down). Can I expect to see a change to this or are the new plans simply
    a cap-lifting exercise with no attempt being made to increase actual speeds?

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 13, 2006

  2. Crash

    Bob Guest

    speed change... <snort>

    sorry, you're sh*t out of luck there.

    Bob, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Crash

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > It is interesting to see Telecom's print advertising claiming that the new
    > Broadband plans are faster and cheaper. I also see an article in which
    > Telecom admit that domestic plans will not be cheaper but will be faster.
    >
    > I am on one of the no-longer-marketed plans with a speed cap of 2 mb/sec
    > (down)/192kb/sec (up) and a data cap of 10 gigs.
    >
    > I am expecting to be moved to the new plan that offers a speed cap of 3.5
    > mb/sec (down)/128kb/sec (up) and a data cap of 10 gigs.
    >
    > I have run speed tests at various times and have never ever got close to 2
    > mb/sec (down). Can I expect to see a change to this or are the new plans
    > simply a cap-lifting exercise with no attempt being made to increase
    > actual speeds?
    >
    > Crash.

    I am on the same plan and as I understand it while the theoretical speed
    increases to
    3.5 the number of people sharing the same pipe? doubles. So, maybe sometimes
    faster, sometimes slower? We'll have to wait and see.

    J.Wilson, Mar 13, 2006
  4. Crash

    thing2 Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > It is interesting to see Telecom's print advertising claiming that the
    > new Broadband plans are faster and cheaper. I also see an article in
    > which Telecom admit that domestic plans will not be cheaper but will be
    > faster.
    >
    > I am on one of the no-longer-marketed plans with a speed cap of 2 mb/sec
    > (down)/192kb/sec (up) and a data cap of 10 gigs.
    >
    > I am expecting to be moved to the new plan that offers a speed cap of
    > 3.5 mb/sec (down)/128kb/sec (up) and a data cap of 10 gigs.
    >
    > I have run speed tests at various times and have never ever got close to
    > 2 mb/sec (down). Can I expect to see a change to this or are the new
    > plans simply a cap-lifting exercise with no attempt being made to
    > increase actual speeds?
    >
    > Crash.

    Read marketing ploy to make it look like Telecom is giving faster speeds
    out.

    I used to have 1meg, then 512k now 256k, because of the conjestion
    overseas/in Clear's network, I have not noticed a performamnce
    drop.....they dont guarantee any sort of performance so its a paper
    tiger....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Mar 13, 2006
  5. On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:50:39 +1300, Crash wrote:

    > I have run speed tests at various times and have never ever got close to
    > 2 mb/sec (down). Can I expect to see a change to this or are the new
    > plans simply a cap-lifting exercise with no attempt being made to
    > increase actual speeds?

    It is a propaganda exercise aimed at the Government. Don't expect any real
    increase in speed.

    In fact, in your case you probably get a reduction in upload speed.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 14, 2006
  6. Crash

    Dave Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > It is interesting to see Telecom's print advertising claiming that the new
    > Broadband plans are faster and cheaper. I also see an article in which
    > Telecom admit that domestic plans will not be cheaper but will be faster.
    >
    > I am on one of the no-longer-marketed plans with a speed cap of 2 mb/sec
    > (down)/192kb/sec (up) and a data cap of 10 gigs.

    I am on the same plan (192kb/sec upstream) and will not be willing to accept
    a decrease to my performance at the same cost (Adventure Plan). I do a lot
    of video conferencing and the difference between my home plan (with the
    higher upload speed) and my two slower office plans (128kb/sec upstream) is
    huge!

    It is the difference between (barely) workable video upstream and
    unacceptable video. Also VOIP works well with 192kb/s but performs poorly
    with the 128kb/s service.

    The reality for me may be that they keep me on the same cost plan which in
    effect means I am getting no saving cost-wise AND a reduction in speed!!

    I am of course hopeful that they may upgrade me (at my current costs) to the
    526kb/sec upstream plan, but then I am faced with excess charges if I go
    over my cap !

    I guess it is a question of wait and see. But depending on what happens,
    there is more than my home internet connection at stake here. Three internet
    connections, five telephone lines, seven mobiles and huge toll bills, (ALL
    with Telecom) are at stake here. If I ain't happy, I ain't hanging around
    anymore!

    dave

    Dave, Mar 14, 2006
  7. On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:13:59 +1300, someone purporting to be J.Wilson
    didst scrawl:

    > "Crash" <> wrote in message

    *SNIP*
    > I am on the same plan and as I understand it while the theoretical speed
    > increases to
    > 3.5 the number of people sharing the same pipe? doubles. So, maybe sometimes
    > faster, sometimes slower? We'll have to wait and see.

    It doesn't double, but it does increase by 75% - from around 80 to around
    140. However, the pipe is bigger. A whole 1.5Mbps bigger. 142(?) users per
    3.5Mbps, as against the current 80-something per 2Mbps.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Mar 14, 2006
  8. Crash

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Matthew Poole <> wrote:

    >It doesn't double, but it does increase by 75% - from around 80 to around
    >140. However, the pipe is bigger. A whole 1.5Mbps bigger. 142(?) users per
    >3.5Mbps, as against the current 80-something per 2Mbps.

    2.0M / 80 = 25K.
    3.5M / 140 = 25K.

    Why am I not surprised?

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"