    phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.

    What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.

    I await developments.
    geopelia, May 21, 2013

  2. geopelia

    JohnO Guest

    On May 22, 8:42 am, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > > Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?

    > > They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
    > > anything about paying by cheque.

    > None of the ways are fancy or new, and Telecom would probably be the last
    > ISP that would give up cheque payment..
    >
    > How about simply set up a direct debit ?
    >
    > geoff

    Cheques are an absolute curse to me and I avoid them. I try to pay
    everything online so I can get the transaction coded properly. That
    way everything comes into Xero coded and my monthly accounting effort
    is just about nil.
    JohnO, May 21, 2013

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > On 22/05/2013 1:38 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >> Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
    >>
    >> They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
    >> anything
    >> about paying by cheque.
    >> I've asked about that and will see what they say.
    >> Perhaps it's just a mistake leaving it off their email, or perhaps they
    >> think people will take it for granted that they can still pay by cheque.
    >> I wouldn't mind printing the bill out from the computer, but what of
    >> those
    >> who don't have one?
    >>
    >> I'm sure I won't be the only customer who dumps them if they stop
    >> accepting
    >> cheques.
    >> Unfortunately that will have to include xtra and probably their mobile
    >> phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.

    > So you'll be giving up your phone and internet completely then Geo? I
    > would be very surprised to find other providers willing to accept cheques
    > either.
    >
    >> What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.

    > You may have to move with the times and get yourself an alternative way of
    > paying your bill. This might be as simple as paying it over the counter
    > at NZ Post, or you could get a Visa Debit card and use that, or you could
    > even venture into the land of online banking.
    >>
    >> I await developments.

    Yes, I could pay cash at the Post Shop. I might try that for a few months.
    I wouldn't use computer banking or a credit card, too much to go wrong.
    geopelia, May 21, 2013
  4. geopelia

    Fred Guest

    On 22/05/2013 9:40 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> On 22/05/2013 1:38 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >>> Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
    >>>
    >>> They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
    >>> anything
    >>> about paying by cheque.
    >>> I've asked about that and will see what they say.
    >>> Perhaps it's just a mistake leaving it off their email, or perhaps they
    >>> think people will take it for granted that they can still pay by cheque.
    >>> I wouldn't mind printing the bill out from the computer, but what of
    >>> those
    >>> who don't have one?
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure I won't be the only customer who dumps them if they stop
    >>> accepting
    >>> cheques.
    >>> Unfortunately that will have to include xtra and probably their mobile
    >>> phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.

    >> So you'll be giving up your phone and internet completely then Geo? I
    >> would be very surprised to find other providers willing to accept cheques
    >> either.
    >>
    >>> What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.

    >> You may have to move with the times and get yourself an alternative way of
    >> paying your bill. This might be as simple as paying it over the counter
    >> at NZ Post, or you could get a Visa Debit card and use that, or you could
    >> even venture into the land of online banking.
    >>>
    >>> I await developments.
    >>>

    > Yes, I could pay cash at the Post Shop. I might try that for a few months.
    > I wouldn't use computer banking or a credit card, too much to go wrong.

    There is far less to go wrong than carrying cash and handing it over to
    someone, or paying by cheque.
    Fred, May 21, 2013
  5. geopelia

    Pooh Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> On 22/05/2013 1:38 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >>> Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
    >>>
    >>> They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
    >>> anything
    >>> about paying by cheque.
    >>> I've asked about that and will see what they say.
    >>> Perhaps it's just a mistake leaving it off their email, or perhaps they
    >>> think people will take it for granted that they can still pay by cheque.
    >>> I wouldn't mind printing the bill out from the computer, but what of
    >>> those
    >>> who don't have one?
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure I won't be the only customer who dumps them if they stop
    >>> accepting
    >>> cheques.
    >>> Unfortunately that will have to include xtra and probably their mobile
    >>> phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.

    >> So you'll be giving up your phone and internet completely then Geo? I
    >> would be very surprised to find other providers willing to accept cheques
    >> either.
    >>
    >>> What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.

    >> You may have to move with the times and get yourself an alternative way
    >> of paying your bill. This might be as simple as paying it over the
    >> counter at NZ Post, or you could get a Visa Debit card and use that, or
    >> you could even venture into the land of online banking.
    >>>
    >>> I await developments.
    >>>

    > Yes, I could pay cash at the Post Shop. I might try that for a few months.
    > I wouldn't use computer banking or a credit card, too much to go wrong.

    Set up a direct debit with your bank Geo. You can make fortnightly payments
    and you can make changes without any hasstles. I've been doing it for years
    with no problems or hiccups. Makes life so easy. I do it with all my regular
    bills.

    Pooh
    Pooh, May 21, 2013
  6. In article <knft53$f87$>, "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
    >
    >They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say anything
    >about paying by cheque.
    >I've asked about that and will see what they say.
    >Perhaps it's just a mistake leaving it off their email, or perhaps they
    >think people will take it for granted that they can still pay by cheque.
    >I wouldn't mind printing the bill out from the computer, but what of those
    >who don't have one?
    >
    >I'm sure I won't be the only customer who dumps them if they stop accepting
    >cheques.
    >Unfortunately that will have to include xtra and probably their mobile
    >phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.
    >
    >What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.
    >
    >I await developments.

    My understanding is that cheques are being phased out in the next year or 3.
    Not sure now where I heard this, but sending $$ through the post is going to
    become really hard if this is true. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 22, 2013
  7. In article <kngprn$qsj$>, Fred <> wrote:
    >On 22/05/2013 9:40 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> So you'll be giving up your phone and internet completely then Geo? I
    >>> would be very surprised to find other providers willing to accept cheques
    >>> either.
    >>> You may have to move with the times and get yourself an alternative way of
    >>> paying your bill. This might be as simple as paying it over the counter
    >>> at NZ Post, or you could get a Visa Debit card and use that, or you could
    >>> even venture into the land of online banking.

    >> Yes, I could pay cash at the Post Shop. I might try that for a few months.
    >> I wouldn't use computer banking or a credit card, too much to go wrong.

    >There is far less to go wrong than carrying cash and handing it over to
    >someone, or paying by cheque.

    I am with Geo on this one. There is much more that can go wrong ... the
    important thing to remember here is that the banks are trying to reduce
    their liability ... not ours. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 22, 2013
  8. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:

    >"geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
    >>
    >> They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
    >> anything about paying by cheque.

    >None of the ways are fancy or new, and Telecom would probably be the last
    >ISP that would give up cheque payment..
    >
    >How about simply set up a direct debit ?

    That can cost some $$ depending on your bank.
    Bruce Sinclair, May 22, 2013
  9. geopelia

    Fred Guest

    On 22/05/2013 11:17 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <kngprn$qsj$>, Fred <> wrote:
    >> On 22/05/2013 9:40 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >>> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, I could pay cash at the Post Shop. I might try that for a few months.
    >>> I wouldn't use computer banking or a credit card, too much to go wrong.

    >> There is far less to go wrong than carrying cash and handing it over to
    >> someone, or paying by cheque.

    > I am with Geo on this one. There is much more that can go wrong ... the
    > important thing to remember here is that the banks are trying to reduce
    > their liability ... not ours. :)

    Shucks - sorry. I was just going by statistics. Silly me.
    Fred, May 22, 2013
  10. On Tue, 21 May 2013 23:18:44 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>> Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
    >>>
    >>> They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
    >>> anything about paying by cheque.

    >>None of the ways are fancy or new, and Telecom would probably be the last
    >>ISP that would give up cheque payment..
    >>
    >>How about simply set up a direct debit ?

    >That can cost some $$ depending on your bank.

    Yes pepople don't Think when they post these answers, direct debit is
    not a cheap way to do things.

    Geopelia just get a EFTPOS card and pay in the Post Office they have
    machines that can do it automatic, its scans your bill and deducts it
    for you acct via the EFTPOS card..
    Frank Williams, May 22, 2013
  11. geopelia

    Liberty Guest

    On Tue, 21 May 2013 23:17:36 GMT, (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <kngprn$qsj$>, Fred <> wrote:
    >>On 22/05/2013 9:40 a.m., geopelia wrote:
    >>> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, I could pay cash at the Post Shop. I might try that for a few months.
    >>> I wouldn't use computer banking or a credit card, too much to go wrong.

    >>There is far less to go wrong than carrying cash and handing it over to
    >>someone, or paying by cheque.

    >I am with Geo on this one. There is much more that can go wrong ... the
    >important thing to remember here is that the banks are trying to reduce
    >their liability ... not ours. :)

    Rubbish.
    Sure 30 years ago when direct debit just started. When there was the old stuff up.
    Now days it works a treat.
    Liberty, May 22, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Pooh" <> wrote in message

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> So you'll be giving up your phone and internet completely then Geo? I
    >>> would be very surprised to find other providers willing to accept
    >>> cheques either.

    >>> You may have to move with the times and get yourself an alternative way
    >>> of paying your bill. This might be as simple as paying it over the
    >>> counter at NZ Post, or you could get a Visa Debit card and use that, or
    >>> you could even venture into the land of online banking.

    >> Yes, I could pay cash at the Post Shop. I might try that for a few
    >> months.
    >> I wouldn't use computer banking or a credit card, too much to go wrong.
    >>

    > Set up a direct debit with your bank Geo. You can make fortnightly
    > payments and you can make changes without any hasstles. I've been doing it
    > for years with no problems or hiccups. Makes life so easy. I do it with
    > all my regular bills.
    >
    > Pooh

    I do that with Countdown and St John. The bankbook page only says DD, not
    what it is for.
    It could be harder to keep track of than a chequebook.
    geopelia, May 22, 2013
  13. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:knh2lh$3nl$...
    > In article <>, "geoff"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>> Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
    >>>
    >>> They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
    >>> anything about paying by cheque.

    >>None of the ways are fancy or new, and Telecom would probably be the last
    >>ISP that would give up cheque payment..
    >>
    >>How about simply set up a direct debit ?

    > That can cost some $$ depending on your bank.

    ASB seems to be free for most things, for pensioners.
    I'll check whether what they take out is the same as Countdown's invoice. I
    think it is the same.
    There might be a fee when they set up the system though.
    geopelia, May 22, 2013
  14. geopelia

    Fred Guest

    On 22/05/2013 2:40 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    > "Pooh" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, I could pay cash at the Post Shop. I might try that for a few
    >>> months.
    >>> I wouldn't use computer banking or a credit card, too much to go wrong.
    >>>

    >> Set up a direct debit with your bank Geo. You can make fortnightly
    >> payments and you can make changes without any hasstles. I've been doing it
    >> for years with no problems or hiccups. Makes life so easy. I do it with
    >> all my regular bills.
    >>
    >> Pooh

    > I do that with Countdown and St John. The bankbook page only says DD, not
    > what it is for.
    > It could be harder to keep track of than a chequebook.

    What's a bankbook page? Surely your statement will show what direct
    debits are for, or who they are paid to.
    Fred, May 22, 2013
  15. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 May 2013 23:18:44 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, "geoff"
    >><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>>None of the ways are fancy or new, and Telecom would probably be the last
    >>>ISP that would give up cheque payment..
    >>>
    >>>How about simply set up a direct debit ?

    >>That can cost some $$ depending on your bank.

    > Yes pepople don't Think when they post these answers, direct debit is
    > not a cheap way to do things.
    >
    > Geopelia just get a EFTPOS card and pay in the Post Office they have
    > machines that can do it automatic, its scans your bill and deducts it
    > for you acct via the EFTPOS card..

    I wouldn't trust EFTPOS.
    I've seen the problems that arise when somebody's card doesn't work and it
    holds up the whole supermarket queue.
    I've got a Visa credit card but only use it when there is no other way to
    pay.
    geopelia, May 22, 2013
  16. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:knh2gc$3nl$...
    > In article <knft53$f87$>, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >>Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
    >>
    >>They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say
    >>anything
    >>about paying by cheque.
    >>I've asked about that and will see what they say.
    >>Perhaps it's just a mistake leaving it off their email, or perhaps they
    >>think people will take it for granted that they can still pay by cheque.
    >>I wouldn't mind printing the bill out from the computer, but what of those
    >>who don't have one?
    >>
    >>I'm sure I won't be the only customer who dumps them if they stop
    >>accepting
    >>cheques.
    >>Unfortunately that will have to include xtra and probably their mobile
    >>phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.
    >>
    >>What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.
    >>
    >>I await developments.

    > My understanding is that cheques are being phased out in the next year or
    > 3.
    > Not sure now where I heard this, but sending $$ through the post is going
    > become really hard if this is true. :)

    If that is true the volume of snail mail will decline even further. They are
    already saying it might be reduced to three deliveries a week.
    I wonder if the postal people will object to no posted cheques. It must be a
    large amount of their business.
    geopelia, May 22, 2013
  17. geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 22 May 2013 01:38:32 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Has anybody else got an email from Telecom about a new bill?
    >
    >They seem to have a lot of fancy new ways to pay now, but don't say anything
    >about paying by cheque.
    >I've asked about that and will see what they say.
    >Perhaps it's just a mistake leaving it off their email, or perhaps they
    >think people will take it for granted that they can still pay by cheque.
    >I wouldn't mind printing the bill out from the computer, but what of those
    >who don't have one?
    >
    >I'm sure I won't be the only customer who dumps them if they stop accepting
    >cheques.
    >Unfortunately that will have to include xtra and probably their mobile
    >phones too, but I haven't got a mobile yet.
    >
    >What a nuisance, I've been with them ever since we got a phone.
    >
    >I await developments.

    That's odd. We got our Telecom statement on Monday and posted it back
    with a cheque yesterday.
    Donchano, May 22, 2013
  18. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-05-21, Bruce Sinclair <> wrote:

    > My understanding is that cheques are being phased out in the next year or 3.
    > Not sure now where I heard this, but sending $$ through the post is going to
    > become really hard if this is true. :)

    Cheques are on their way out. No where as many written as used to be.
    However the article I read said it would be about ten years.

    I still use them. They are good to pay a company in another city.
    Gordon, May 22, 2013
  19. On Wed, 22 May 2013 14:47:20 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 21 May 2013 23:18:44 GMT,
    >> (Bruce Sinclair)
    >> wrote:

    >>>That can cost some $$ depending on your bank.

    >> Yes pepople don't Think when they post these answers, direct debit is
    >> not a cheap way to do things.
    >>
    >> Geopelia just get a EFTPOS card and pay in the Post Office they have
    >> machines that can do it automatic, its scans your bill and deducts it
    >> for you acct via the EFTPOS card..
    >>

    >I wouldn't trust EFTPOS.
    > I've seen the problems that arise when somebody's card doesn't work and it
    >holds up the whole supermarket queue.
    >I've got a Visa credit card but only use it when there is no other way to
    >pay.

    Go into a Post shop and look at the scanners, THERE IS NO QUEUE this is
    the way I pay my bills, its Idiot proof.

    If you don't have a FTPOS card there is some thing wrong with you..?
    Frank Williams, May 22, 2013
  20. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-05-21, Bruce Sinclair <> wrote:
    > In article <kngprn$qsj$>, Fred <> wrote:
    >
    >>There is far less to go wrong than carrying cash and handing it over to
    >>someone, or paying by cheque.

    > I am with Geo on this one. There is much more that can go wrong ... the
    > important thing to remember here is that the banks are trying to reduce
    > their liability ... not ours. :)

    Totally, push the work onto the customer then their is less for you to to,
    and you can also charge for it.

    Remember also that DD is you giving permission for the person you are paying
    the right to take money out of your bank account. It can cause some right
    problems as the bank does not stop payments. See you have the problem, and
    the bank is SFA help.

    Just remember that your money in the bank can get a "haircut" just as in
    Cyprus.
    Gordon, May 22, 2013