    1. Advertising

  3. Alpha

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Apr 20, 2006
  4. Alpha

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    In article <>, "Alpha" <>
    wrote:

    > http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060420/D8H3EIF83.html

    excerpt:

    Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology
    might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing
    that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters
    a fee.

    -----
    So dish network or direct tv decides to disable it on their
    transmissions (for free) and puts commercials on that emphasize that
    fact which people with cable must watch. The next day everyone switches
    to satellite. So in an effort to get their customers back, cable
    decides to follow suit. So the remaining question is do those who get
    over-the-air transmission feel it is worth the cost to buy cable or
    satellite in order to have control of what they watch.

    dick
    -- or as my daughter suggests, everyone bittorrents the shows without
    commercials the next day.
    Dick Sidbury, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Alpha

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > In article <>, "Alpha" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060420/D8H3EIF83.html

    > excerpt:
    >
    > Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology
    > might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing
    > that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters
    > a fee.
    >
    > -----
    > So dish network or direct tv decides to disable it on their
    > transmissions (for free) and puts commercials on that emphasize that
    > fact which people with cable must watch. The next day everyone switches
    > to satellite. So in an effort to get their customers back, cable
    > decides to follow suit. So the remaining question is do those who get
    > over-the-air transmission feel it is worth the cost to buy cable or
    > satellite in order to have control of what they watch.
    >
    > dick
    > -- or as my daughter suggests, everyone bittorrents the shows without
    > commercials the next day.

    Sky are already screwing around with our choices of what we see during
    programs, sliding banners over the picture and having areas of screen
    dedicated to permanent or moving notices. More and more it seems these
    companies couldn;t give a crap. Let's face it, we already pay Sky for
    the channels, THEN we have adverts between and during the programs
    THEN we have them while the programs are on screen!

    --
    Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Apr 21, 2006
  6. Per Dick Sidbury:
    >Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology
    >might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing
    >that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters
    >a fee.

    Anybody remember when cable first came out? Seems to me like there was this
    wonderful new thing where you just paid N dollars per month and you got to watch
    all these shows with no commercials.....-)
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Apr 21, 2006
  7. Alpha

    J. Clarke Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:

    > Dick Sidbury wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <>, "Alpha" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060420/D8H3EIF83.html

    >> excerpt:
    >>
    >> Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology
    >> might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing
    >> that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters
    >> a fee.
    >>
    >> -----
    >> So dish network or direct tv decides to disable it on their
    >> transmissions (for free) and puts commercials on that emphasize that
    >> fact which people with cable must watch. The next day everyone switches
    >> to satellite. So in an effort to get their customers back, cable
    >> decides to follow suit. So the remaining question is do those who get
    >> over-the-air transmission feel it is worth the cost to buy cable or
    >> satellite in order to have control of what they watch.
    >>
    >> dick
    >> -- or as my daughter suggests, everyone bittorrents the shows without
    >> commercials the next day.

    > Sky are already screwing around with our choices of what we see during
    > programs, sliding banners over the picture and having areas of screen
    > dedicated to permanent or moving notices. More and more it seems these
    > companies couldn;t give a crap. Let's face it, we already pay Sky for
    > the channels, THEN we have adverts between and during the programs
    > THEN we have them while the programs are on screen!

    There was a lot of that in the US a year or two back, I haven't seen nearly
    as much of it and what there is is far less obnoxious than it had been.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Apr 21, 2006
  8. Alpha

    Allan Guest

    Re: New technology so you must watch commercials "there is no such flag as standard in the spec"

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/18/philips-patent-app-would-force-you-to-watch-commercials-both-li/

    Update 1: Reader Paul B, who also happened to chair the group that
    wrote the MHP PVR specification, writes to inform us that "there is no
    such flag as standard in the spec. Philips could add one as a
    Philips-specific flag but it wouldn't apply to the other
    manufacturers. Secondly, as currently specificed there is no way for
    an MHP application to take control of the channel switching function,
    so changing channels always works." There you have it folks; it seems
    that all your MHP-equipped gear is safe -- for now.

    Update 2: Royal Philips Electronics, ever mindful of their
    Engadget-reading customers, had this to say in a note to us:
    "(Philips) filed a patent application, as yet not granted, that
    enables watching a television movie without advertising. However, some
    people do want to see the ads. So, we developed a system where the
    viewer can choose, at the beginning of a movie, to either watch the
    movie without ads, or watch the movie with ads. It is up to the viewer
    to take this decision, and up to the broadcaster to offer the various
    services. Philips never had the intention to force viewers to watch
    ads against their will and does not use this technology in any current
    Philips products, nor do we have any plans to do so."

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Apr 21, 2006
  9. Alpha

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "J. Clarke" wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    > > Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > >> excerpt:
    > >>
    > >> Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology
    > >> might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing
    > >> that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters
    > >> a fee.
    > >>
    > >> -----
    > >> So dish network or direct tv decides to disable it on their
    > >> transmissions (for free) and puts commercials on that emphasize that
    > >> fact which people with cable must watch. The next day everyone switches
    > >> to satellite. So in an effort to get their customers back, cable
    > >> decides to follow suit. So the remaining question is do those who get
    > >> over-the-air transmission feel it is worth the cost to buy cable or
    > >> satellite in order to have control of what they watch.
    > >>
    > >> dick
    > >> -- or as my daughter suggests, everyone bittorrents the shows without
    > >> commercials the next day.

    > > Sky are already screwing around with our choices of what we see during
    > > programs, sliding banners over the picture and having areas of screen
    > > dedicated to permanent or moving notices. More and more it seems these
    > > companies couldn;t give a crap. Let's face it, we already pay Sky for
    > > the channels, THEN we have adverts between and during the programs
    > > THEN we have them while the programs are on screen!

    > There was a lot of that in the US a year or two back, I haven't seen nearly
    > as much of it and what there is is far less obnoxious than it had been.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Well, I have a theory that politicians announce some measures well in
    advance and make them as bad as they can so when people argue against
    them they can say "Oh, okay, we're listening!" then knock some of it
    on the head, thus retaining the parts of whatever it was they really
    wanted to do in the first place, and I have this feeling with Sky,
    etc. They will mess us around then reduce it a little and tell us we
    have won.

    Paul Heslop, Apr 21, 2006
  10. On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:54:45 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >There was a lot of that in the US a year or two back, I haven't seen nearly
    >as much of it and what there is is far less obnoxious than it had been.

    I just returned from Thailand where they apparently recently seem to
    "discovered" this idea. On their national channels, there are some which
    cover up to 1/3 of the picture with the scrolling texts (like ITV). Very
    annoying indeed. And then there is quite often a huge bug in a corner as
    well. It will indeed all go to bittorrents for those who have broadband.

    cheers

    -martin-
    --
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.

    Martin Heffels, Apr 21, 2006
  11. Alpha

    RS Guest

    RS, Apr 21, 2006
  12. Alpha

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Re: New technology so you must watch commercials "there is no such flag as standard in the spec"

    In article <>,
    Allan <> wrote:

    > Update 2: Royal Philips Electronics, ever mindful of their
    > Engadget-reading customers, had this to say in a note to us:
    > "(Philips) filed a patent application, as yet not granted, that
    > enables watching a television movie without advertising. However, some
    > people do want to see the ads. So, we developed a system where the
    > viewer can choose, at the beginning of a movie, to either watch the
    > movie without ads, or watch the movie with ads. It is up to the viewer
    > to take this decision, and up to the broadcaster to offer the various
    > services. Philips never had the intention to force viewers to watch
    > ads against their will and does not use this technology in any current
    > Philips products, nor do we have any plans to do so."

    Now this I don't understand. If you opt to watch it without
    commercials, and it's being broadcast, what shows up on your screen
    during the time that commercials are being broadcast?

    dick
    -- or is this something that happens in Europe (or elsewhere) and that
    we Americans don't understand?
    Dick Sidbury, Apr 21, 2006
  13. Alpha

    kitekrazy Guest

    Re: New technology so you must watch commercials "there is no suchflag as standard in the spec"

    Do any of the DVD movies bought in stores keep you from skipping
    movie previews yet?
    kitekrazy, Apr 21, 2006
  14. Re: New technology so you must watch commercials "there is no such flag as standard in the spec"

    "kitekrazy" wrote ...
    > Do any of the DVD movies bought in stores keep you from skipping movie
    > previews yet?

    The option is availble (for example, it is used for the FBI warning).
    It is just a matter of how they program them.
    Richard Crowley, Apr 21, 2006
  15. Re: New technology so you must watch commercials "there is no such flag as standard in the spec"

    On 4/21/2006, Dick Sidbury posted this:
    > In article <>,
    > Allan <> wrote:
    >
    >> Update 2: Royal Philips Electronics, ever mindful of their
    >> Engadget-reading customers, had this to say in a note to us:
    >> "(Philips) filed a patent application, as yet not granted, that
    >> enables watching a television movie without advertising. However, some
    >> people do want to see the ads. So, we developed a system where the
    >> viewer can choose, at the beginning of a movie, to either watch the
    >> movie without ads, or watch the movie with ads. It is up to the viewer
    >> to take this decision, and up to the broadcaster to offer the various
    >> services. Philips never had the intention to force viewers to watch
    >> ads against their will and does not use this technology in any current
    >> Philips products, nor do we have any plans to do so."

    > Now this I don't understand. If you opt to watch it without
    > commercials, and it's being broadcast, what shows up on your screen
    > during the time that commercials are being broadcast?
    >
    > dick
    > -- or is this something that happens in Europe (or elsewhere) and that
    > we Americans don't understand?

    You need the time-machine accessory, available at 7.95 USD/Month, or
    the equivalent prices in other currencies.

    Or, to turn off the sarcasm and express my opinion directly:

    Basically, I think there is a chance that the above quoted stuff from
    Philips is just possibly smoke-and-mirrors.

    When I first read the OP's link yesterday, I couldn't for a minute or
    two remember the word I wanted. Then it came to me in a flash:
    "extortion".

    OK, it's not the same as the "protection" rackets famous during
    Prohibition days in the US, but it still fits the definition, I think.

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251
    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 21, 2006
  16. Alpha

    PTravel Guest

    "kitekrazy" <> wrote in message
    > Do any of the DVD movies bought in stores keep you from skipping movie
    > previews yet?

    Yes . . . and no. I've seen some that will only let you fast forward, but
    won't let you skip chapters or go to the menu.
    PTravel, Apr 21, 2006
  17. Alpha

    Stan Brown Guest

    Re: New technology so you must watch commercials "there is no such flag as standard in the spec"

    Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:08:24 GMT from kitekrazy
    <>:
    > Do any of the DVD movies bought in stores keep you from skipping
    > movie previews yet?

    Have you been hiding under a rock? Studios have been doing this for
    _years_.

    Universal, one of the worst offenders, recently announced they were
    ceasing the practice. I assume that means they've found something new
    and even more annoying to try to control my watching of my DVD in my
    player.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Apr 22, 2006
  18. Alpha

    kitekrazy Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:08:24 GMT from kitekrazy
    > <>:
    >
    >> Do any of the DVD movies bought in stores keep you from skipping
    >>movie previews yet?

    > Have you been hiding under a rock? Studios have been doing this for
    > _years_.

    Um no. I think I may have one (maybe) that does this.
    kitekrazy, Apr 22, 2006
  19. Alpha

    Voinin Guest

    kitekrazy wrote:
    > Stan Brown wrote:
    >> Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:08:24 GMT from kitekrazy
    >> <>:
    >>
    >>> Do any of the DVD movies bought in stores keep you from skipping
    >>> movie previews yet?

    >> Have you been hiding under a rock? Studios have been doing this for
    >> _years_.
    >>

    > Um no. I think I may have one (maybe) that does this.

    I have so many DVDs that use this "feature" to keep me from changing
    subtitles or audio tracks while watching the movie as well as from
    skipping past a lot of the crud that comes before the menus or just
    before the movie itself. It's a good reason why I like to copy some of
    my DVDs so I don't have to put up with these limitations that studios
    think I need on watching a movie. Why on earth shouldn't I change audio
    or subtitles in the midst of watching a movie?

    --
    Welcome to America...now speak English
    Voinin, Apr 22, 2006
  20. In article <>,
    (PeteCresswell) <> wrote:
    >Per Dick Sidbury:
    >>Philips acknowledged, however, that the anti-channel changing technology
    >>might not sit well with consumers and suggested in its patent filing
    >>that consumers be allowed to avoid the feature if they paid broadcasters
    >>a fee.

    >Anybody remember when cable first came out? Seems to me like
    >there was this wonderful new thing where you just paid N
    >dollars per month and you got to watch all these shows with no
    >commercials.....-)

    I remember when it came out just to be able to get TV stations
    in areas where antenna reception meant at least a 100 foot tower to
    get snowy pictures. It was about $15/month for 3 commercial
    stations. The year was 1953.

    Then laster I moved to bit larger city that had ONE tv station and
    the local TV dealer built a local cable with microwave repeaters
    bringing in stations from a major city over 150 miles away.

    Early cable was crude, but it was better than no TV at all.

    Bill
    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com