New Tab HTML Tag

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Alvaro G. Vicario, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. *** Stuart <> escribió/wrote (25 ene
    2004):
    > If I want to get Mozilla to open a link in a new tab... can I write it
    > into the HTML of a page?

    It's unlikely. HTML is not so much browser specific. It'd be different if
    you were writing an extension, of course, but I guess it's just a regular
    web site, isn't it?

    --
    -+ Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain - ICQ 46788716
    +- http://www.demogracia.com (la web de humor para mayores de 100 años)
    Alvaro G. Vicario, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Alvaro G. Vicario

    Stuart Guest

    Stuart, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Alvaro G. Vicario

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 1/24/04 3:24 PM, Stuart typed wildly with reckless abandon:

    > If I want to get Mozilla to open a link in a new tab... can I write it
    > into the HTML of a page?

    The closest thing I can think of is <a href="" target="_blank"> but
    that's not really the wisest thing to do. You have no way of knowing
    what a visitor to your page wants to do.

    I have my Firebird set up to open everything calling a new window in a
    new tab.

    I know there are people out there that use Mozilla, but hate the tabs:
    They may want new windows

    And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a better
    browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot of people
    abhor new windows.

    Your best option is to let the visitor decide. If we want a link to open
    in a new tab, we'll make it.

    --
    The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
    opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. - Niels
    A Hess, Jan 25, 2004
  4. > And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a better browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot of people abhor new windows.
    I like this sentence. :)

    Always hearing that many people got their IE homepage "hijacked" by some websites. I am so proud that I will never have such problem. :)
    And it is delightful that some of my friends start using Firebird and say this could be the best browser in this world.

    --
    This is Ricco@Hong Kong

    Ricco@Mobility, Jan 25, 2004
  5. *** Stuart <> escribió/wrote (25 ene
    2004):
    > It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece
    > of code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition
    > to <a href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers
    > open a new window.

    I don't think so. That would force to add another checkbox to preferences
    dialog ([ ] Ignore moznewtab HTML attribute) and clutter it with one more
    stupid option. Mozilla is so great because it allows users to control their
    browser. If we wanted to be controlled by webmasters we would be using
    Internet Explorer ;-)

    Alvaro G. Vicario, Jan 25, 2004
  6. Alvaro G. Vicario

    Stuart Guest

    Stuart, Jan 25, 2004
  7. Alvaro G. Vicario

    L Gray Guest

    Stuart wrote:
    > A Hess wrote:
    >
    >> The closest thing I can think of is <a href="" target="_blank"> but
    >> that's not really the wisest thing to do. You have no way of knowing
    >> what a visitor to your page wants to do.
    >>
    >> I have my Firebird set up to open everything calling a new window in a
    >> new tab.
    >>
    >> I know there are people out there that use Mozilla, but hate the tabs:
    >> They may want new windows
    >>
    >> And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a better
    >> browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot of people
    >> abhor new windows.
    >>
    >> Your best option is to let the visitor decide. If we want a link to
    >> open in a new tab, we'll make it.

    > It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece of
    > code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition to <a
    > href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers open a
    > new window.

    Sorry, but I disagree. If I want a new window, I right-click on a link
    and open it in a new window. If I want a new tab, I right-click and
    open a new tab. If I don't want either, I left-click and expect the
    page to load in the current window. You're assuming that you know what
    I like better than I do. In the words of Flip Wilson's Geraldine, "You
    don't know me THAT well!" :)

    L Gray, Jan 25, 2004
  8. Alvaro G. Vicario

    Rich G. Guest

    L Gray wrote:

    > I like better than I do. In the words of Flip Wilson's Geraldine, "You
    > don't know me THAT well!" :)

    at the risk of dating myself another of my favorite lines from Geraldine
    is "Love is a feelin' you feel right before you feel a feelin' you ain't
    never felt before." hehehe (that also applies to the feeling when you've
    swallowed that last gulp of southern comfort that you KNEW you shouldn't
    drink and now you know you're going to have to stand up and move away
    from the furniture and the standing bit just got a whole lot more
    difficult hehehe)

    --
    Rich G. http://www.simplerich.com

    "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you
    plant."
    -Robert Louis Stephenson
    Rich G., Jan 25, 2004
  9. Alvaro G. Vicario

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 1/25/04 6:05 AM, Stuart typed wildly with reckless abandon:

    > It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece of
    > code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition to <a
    > href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers open a
    > new window.

    It may sound like a nifty idea, but consider this: Internet Explorer has
    ruined the web in so many ways because of non-standard proprietary code
    that works only in IE.

    One of the goals of Mozilla is to do away with this. Adherance to
    standards and cross platform/browser compatability is key. I, for one,
    hope we NEVER fall to Microsoft's level in this way (or any other for
    that matter).

    The way to accomplish this is the give the user the power. I have mine
    configured to open new tabs whenever I want, other like the new windows,
    others like the same window, and all have it just the way they like it.
    None of this "browser maker telling the user how it's gonna be" B.S.

    Power to the people, Aron :)

    --
    I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner
    A Hess, Jan 25, 2004
  10. L Gray wrote:
    > Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> A Hess wrote:
    >>
    >>> The closest thing I can think of is <a href="" target="_blank"> but
    >>> that's not really the wisest thing to do. You have no way of knowing
    >>> what a visitor to your page wants to do.
    >>>
    >>> I have my Firebird set up to open everything calling a new window in
    >>> a new tab.
    >>>
    >>> I know there are people out there that use Mozilla, but hate the
    >>> tabs: They may want new windows
    >>>
    >>> And you can't forget those poor people who haven't discovered a
    >>> better browser than IE. Their only option is new windows, but a lot
    >>> of people abhor new windows.
    >>>
    >>> Your best option is to let the visitor decide. If we want a link to
    >>> open in a new tab, we'll make it.

    >> It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece
    >> of code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition
    >> to <a href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers
    >> open a new window.
    >>

    > Sorry, but I disagree. If I want a new window, I right-click on a link
    > and open it in a new window. If I want a new tab, I right-click and
    > open a new tab. If I don't want either, I left-click and expect the
    > page to load in the current window. You're assuming that you know what
    > I like better than I do. In the words of Flip Wilson's Geraldine, "You
    > don't know me THAT well!" :)

    Yes but, don't ignore that web designers can and do target links to new
    windows.

    The only way I know of to force news tabs instead of new window, is Tab
    Browser Extensions.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 26, 2004
  11. Alvaro G. Vicario

    L Gray Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > L Gray wrote:
    >
    >> Stuart wrote:
    >>
    >>> It would be quite nice to have Mozilla accept one non-standard piece
    >>> of code - a special tag that will open a new tab. perhaps an addition
    >>> to <a href="" target="_blank"> that would still make lesser browsers
    >>> open a new window.

    >> Sorry, but I disagree. If I want a new window, I right-click on a
    >> link and open it in a new window. If I want a new tab, I right-click
    >> and open a new tab. If I don't want either, I left-click and expect
    >> the page to load in the current window. You're assuming that you know
    >> what I like better than I do. In the words of Flip Wilson's
    >> Geraldine, "You don't know me THAT well!" :)

    > Yes but, don't ignore that web designers can and do target links to new
    > windows.
    >
    > The only way I know of to force news tabs instead of new window, is Tab
    > Browser Extensions.
    >
    > Lee

    I'm not ignoring it, Lee. I wish I could. But just because there's
    already a way to present the customer with something he doesn't want,
    that isn't a justification for creating a new way to give him something
    *else* he doesn't want.

    Too often web designers use a functionality just because it exists, and
    they think it's neat, when in practice it's nothing more than an
    irritant to the one who's visiting the page (can you say blinking
    text?). Frankly, I think the web would be a whole lot nicer place if
    there were no tag extensions for new targets at all (no pop-ups, for one
    thing).

    As the Zen Master said to the hotdog vendor,
    "Make me one with everything."
    L Gray, Jan 26, 2004
  12. Alvaro G. Vicario

    bodikon

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    The Question

    Hey All

    I know that the people posting 'IE SUCKS' and 'Don't Do It' may have good intentions, but if people are asking, they want to know.

    I need to know the answer to this question for an intranet where we need to control the users actions.

    The company uses IE, it would be nice to know that we don't have to write extensions....
    bodikon, Oct 26, 2008
  13. Alvaro G. Vicario

    Rex the Strange

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I beg to differ - this is completely the wisest thing to do. In my opinion (as that was yours and you might want to point that out instead of sounding like an arrogant know-it-all ass) you want every external link from the site to be on a new page - from a marketing standpoint you don't want people leaving your page until they actually make an active decision to do so. That's courtesy to the visitor, instead of saying "okay, it's time for you to leave, now."
    Rex the Strange, Mar 11, 2009