    CD?

    Thanks

    John

    John, Dec 13, 2003

  2. John

    Thor Guest

    You don't really *need* it, as you can do most things with a bootable CD
    these days. However, it can be more convenient in some respects, and only
    costs like $10 (US).

    Thor, Dec 13, 2003

  3. John

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I am putting together a new win xp system very shortly. I'm just
    > waiting for a graphics card and CDRW to arrive for it.
    >
    > I just wondered if I really need to have a 3.5" drive? Would I have
    > problems if I didn't have one installed, or could I do everything from
    > CD?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    I would always have said "no" because I had not used a floppy drive for
    probably two or three years, except on very old computers which do not
    allow booting from CD.

    Just yesterday though I purchased a small business accounting program
    (Australian), which for some unknown reason required a floppy with an
    unlocking code before I could use all the features. Utterly ridiculous
    in this day and age, but there you go!

    The cost of a floppy drive is trivial, so I guess it does not hurt to
    install one, even though it will be very rarely used.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 13, 2003
  4. John

    Thor Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > I am putting together a new win xp system very shortly. I'm just
    > > waiting for a graphics card and CDRW to arrive for it.
    > >
    > > I just wondered if I really need to have a 3.5" drive? Would I have
    > > problems if I didn't have one installed, or could I do everything from
    > > CD?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > I would always have said "no" because I had not used a floppy drive for
    > probably two or three years, except on very old computers which do not
    > allow booting from CD.
    >
    > Just yesterday though I purchased a small business accounting program
    > (Australian), which for some unknown reason required a floppy with an
    > unlocking code before I could use all the features. Utterly ridiculous
    > in this day and age, but there you go!
    >
    > The cost of a floppy drive is trivial, so I guess it does not hurt to
    > install one, even though it will be very rarely used.

    At the very least, it makes for a nice dust collection device. ;-)

    Thor, Dec 13, 2003
  5. John

    Plato Guest

    John wrote:

    > I just wondered if I really need to have a 3.5" drive? Would I have
    > problems if I didn't have one installed, or could I do everything from
    > CD?

    I'd get one.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 13, 2003
  6. John

    V W Wall Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > John wrote:
    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > I am putting together a new win xp system very shortly. I'm just
    > > waiting for a graphics card and CDRW to arrive for it.
    > >
    > > I just wondered if I really need to have a 3.5" drive? Would I have
    > > problems if I didn't have one installed, or could I do everything from
    > > CD?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > I would always have said "no" because I had not used a floppy drive for
    > probably two or three years, except on very old computers which do not
    > allow booting from CD.
    >
    > Just yesterday though I purchased a small business accounting program
    > (Australian), which for some unknown reason required a floppy with an
    > unlocking code before I could use all the features. Utterly ridiculous
    > in this day and age, but there you go!
    >
    > The cost of a floppy drive is trivial, so I guess it does not hurt to
    > install one, even though it will be very rarely used.

    I use a 1.44M floppy to keep a record of my stock portfolio. Of course
    one couldn't do that using Excel. I use SuperCalc5, and the complete
    portfolio weekly updates for a year, (52 spreadsheets), fit on one floppy.
    There are a total of 48 line items with 13 columns each, plus a 15 line
    summary. 52 weeks fit on one floppy including summaries for the past five
    years and a weekly line graph of total portfolio value. Floppies aren't too
    small--our programs and data files have just grown too big.

    It's also handy to have a floppy to boot into DOS or Linux to unravel file
    problems when Windows won't boot. I realize that you can do most of this
    with a CD, but you'll meet a lot of computers that can't boot from CDs.
    (I do have some basic Linux and DOS programs on a bootable CD, but it's
    easier to juggle files on a floppy to make specialized boot disks.)

    My first floppies were 5 1/4" single sided, single density holding all of
    110K, so I'm happy with 1.44M. Incidently they cost about $5 each. I'm
    just sorry that AOL quit sending out free floppies that could be formatted.

    For a while, I'll keep my floppy drives! Both A: and B:

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Dec 13, 2003
  7. John

    Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:59:14 +0000, John <> wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >I am putting together a new win xp system very shortly. I'm just
    >waiting for a graphics card and CDRW to arrive for it.
    >
    >I just wondered if I really need to have a 3.5" drive? Would I have
    >problems if I didn't have one installed, or could I do everything from
    >CD?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >John

    Floppies are kind of comforting to have.

    I have many complaints about CDs - have to format them; they are
    fragile; they are exposed to dust fingerprints chocolate; you have to
    fiddle with stupid cases.

    All in all, the CD is just a big old 5.25 floppy with all the
    drawbacks of 1982 technology.

    Wish someone would come along with a standard the encloses the CD like
    when they moved from 5.25 to 3.5. Now there's something I can throw
    onto the desk and not worrry about.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    , Dec 13, 2003
  8. John

    Ardent Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:40:41 GMT, V W Wall <>
    wrote:

    >portfolio weekly updates for a year, (52 spreadsheets), fit on one floppy.

    But floppies are so unreliable - literally it goes bad by the time you
    go over to your neighbor to help out. In such cases I take at least
    three identical floppies :)

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only

    Ardent, Dec 17, 2003
  9. John

    Night_Seer Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I am putting together a new win xp system very shortly. I'm just
    > waiting for a graphics card and CDRW to arrive for it.
    >
    > I just wondered if I really need to have a 3.5" drive? Would I have
    > problems if I didn't have one installed, or could I do everything from
    > CD?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Basically if your system is USB bootable...there is no need for one
    anymore...unless you use DOS, and unless you blah blah blah...many other
    reasons. You have yours...think about it for your purposes.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Dec 17, 2003
  10. John

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Ardent wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:40:41 GMT, V W Wall <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>portfolio weekly updates for a year, (52 spreadsheets), fit on one floppy.

    > But floppies are so unreliable - literally it goes bad by the time you
    > go over to your neighbor to help out. In such cases I take at least
    > three identical floppies :)

    Nonsense. If you look after them, store them properly and use known
    good disks, then they are reliable. If you have to make three copies
    of something to make sure you get one good one, then I would suggest
    either your drive or your disks are faulty.

    It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
    using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
    nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
    of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
    purposes.)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 17, 2003
  11. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Oldus Fartus <> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
    @otis.netspace.net.au:

    > It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
    > using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
    > nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
    > of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
    > purposes.)

    I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2 years
    ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were packaged
    in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light or
    heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
    months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.

    I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
    lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the lifespan
    of a rabbit to a human.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 17, 2003
  12. John

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > Oldus Fartus <> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
    > @otis.netspace.net.au:
    >
    > > It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
    > > using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
    > > nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
    > > of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
    > > purposes.)

    > I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2

    years
    > ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were

    packaged
    > in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light

    or
    > heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
    > months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
    >
    > I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
    > lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the

    lifespan
    > of a rabbit to a human.

    I have two large boxes of floppies that havent seen usage since 1998 or so,
    and they are still readable. I got them off the shelf, dusted off the
    covers, opened the boxes, and every one I put in the drive was still good.
    Every disc had data stored on it several years ago, and they were ok.

    Thor, Dec 17, 2003
  13. John

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Oldus Fartus <> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
    > @otis.netspace.net.au:
    >

    >>It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
    >>using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
    >>nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
    >>of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
    >>purposes.)

    > I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2 years
    > ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were packaged
    > in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light or
    > heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
    > months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
    >
    > I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
    > lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the lifespan
    > of a rabbit to a human.

    Interesting. As I said earlier in this thread, I very rarely use
    floppies, and haven't bought any for probably five or six years.

    I did pull out some old ones today after your post though, and they were
    all readable, so perhaps it is the later ones which are suffering from
    reliability problems.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 17, 2003
  14. Thor wrote:
    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >
    >>Oldus Fartus <> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
    >>@otis.netspace.net.au:
    >>

    >>>It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
    >>>using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
    >>>nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
    >>>of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
    >>>purposes.)

    >>I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2

    > years
    >
    >>ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were

    > packaged
    >
    >>in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light

    > or
    >
    >>heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
    >>months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
    >>
    >>I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
    >>lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the

    > lifespan
    >
    >>of a rabbit to a human.

    > I have two large boxes of floppies that havent seen usage since 1998 or so,
    > and they are still readable. I got them off the shelf, dusted off the
    > covers, opened the boxes, and every one I put in the drive was still good.
    > Every disc had data stored on it several years ago, and they were ok.

    I finished up an informal test about 2 years ago. I'd run across an ad
    in 1996 for 'high-clip' floppies so I bought 100 of them. Formatted
    them, put some files on them, and put them away along with 100 or my
    regular floppies. Each year I brought out 20 of each & checked to see
    how many were still good. It turned out that the high-clip floppies did
    work better. Still not perfect, but the failure rate after 5 years was
    less than 2% vs. almost 20% for my 'bargain' floppies.

    Of course by the time the results were in I had little if any need for
    floppies. That's the problem with performing longevity tests in a
    rapidly-changing environment.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 17, 2003
  15. John

    V W Wall Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Oldus Fartus <> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
    > @otis.netspace.net.au:
    >
    > > It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
    > > using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
    > > nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
    > > of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
    > > purposes.)

    > I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2 years
    > ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were packaged
    > in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light or
    > heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
    > months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
    >
    > I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
    > lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the lifespan
    > of a rabbit to a human.

    Just don't stick them on the refrigerator with a magnet! ;=)

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Dec 17, 2003
  16. John

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:31:49 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    >DeMoN LaG wrote:
    >
    >> Oldus Fartus <> wrote in news:broinm$2s3e$1
    >> @otis.netspace.net.au:
    >>

    >>>It hasn't been a reliability problem which has caused people to stop
    >>>using them, but a lack of capacity in the media. 1.44 meg just is
    >>>nowhere big enough these days for many people. (There are exceptions
    >>>of course, as Virg has said - he has a need for them, and it suits his
    >>>purposes.)

    >> I don't know about reliability now. I have a few CDs I burned like 2 years
    >> ago that are still fine, while the accompanying floppies that were packaged
    >> in the same place (in a plastic box on a bookshelf, no exposure to light or
    >> heat) are bad. The floppies were aquired earlier than the CDs by about 3
    >> months, but were unused until I burnt the discs.
    >>
    >> I'm not saying floppies are unreliable entirely, just that comparing the
    >> lifespan of a floppy to the lifespan of a CD is like comparing the lifespan
    >> of a rabbit to a human.
    >>

    >Interesting. As I said earlier in this thread, I very rarely use
    >floppies, and haven't bought any for probably five or six years.
    >
    >I did pull out some old ones today after your post though, and they were
    >all readable, so perhaps it is the later ones which are suffering from
    >reliability problems.

    No...its the old ones, too.

    And the operative here is 'reliable'. If you don't know fer sure if
    the data is gonna be there when you need it...that makes it
    unreliable.

    I've got some things on floppy that are maybe 10 years or so old. The
    failure rate is probably around 25%.

    Floppies should not be used for long-term storage...unless you make a
    coupla extra copies.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003
  17. John

    Ardent Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:32:12 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    >Nonsense. If you look after them, store them properly and use known
    >good disks, then they are reliable. If you have to make three copies
    >of something to make sure you get one good one, then I would suggest
    >either your drive or your disks are faulty.

    I am using floppies from the 8 inch age and I posted my experience. I
    have in fact hundreds of no-read floppies and give them to kids to
    make pen stands and what not :)

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only