    buy about 5-6 dvds with EXCEPTIONAL sound to make my speakers work their ass
    off! I already got matrix reloaded and the star wars movies on my list, can
    you suggest any others? Thnx for your time :)

    EE Roth, Oct 8, 2003

  2. EE Roth wrote:

    > I have just upgraded from crappy 20 dollar 2 speaker with onboard sound to
    > an ok set of Logitech z560(decided to save some cash and not go for the
    > 680's) speakers and a Soundblaster Audigy X-Gamer sound card. Now I wanna
    > buy about 5-6 dvds with EXCEPTIONAL sound to make my speakers work their ass
    > off! I already got matrix reloaded and the star wars movies on my list, can
    > you suggest any others? Thnx for your time :)

    Lord Of The Rings extended editions if you system can handle
    DTS 7.1 discrete sound.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Oct 8, 2003

  3. EE Roth

    TSKO Guest

    Jurassic Park 3

    TSKO, Oct 8, 2003
  4. EE Roth

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 01:17:28 GMT, TSKO wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >> Lord Of The Rings extended editions if you system can handle
    >> DTS 7.1 discrete sound.

    Star Wars Episode 1's pod race is pretty good for showing off a system;
    that's about it... ;)

    Most recent action movies will give your system a decent work out too.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Oct 8, 2003
  5. "EE Roth" <> wrote in

    > I have just upgraded from crappy 20 dollar 2 speaker with onboard
    > sound to an ok set of Logitech z560(decided to save some cash and not
    > go for the 680's) speakers and a Soundblaster Audigy X-Gamer sound
    > card. Now I wanna buy about 5-6 dvds with EXCEPTIONAL sound to make my
    > speakers work their ass off! I already got matrix reloaded and the
    > star wars movies on my list, can you suggest any others? Thnx for your
    > time :)

    Both Godzilla (new American version) and Independence Day should give your
    speakers a workout.

    HJ

    Henry Jaclounge, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Codswallop wrote:

    > Star Wars Episode 1's pod race is pretty good for showing off a system;
    > that's about it... ;)

    Except it's rear center is matrixed instead of discrete,
    so why bother?

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Oct 8, 2003
  7. EE Roth

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 02:08:15 GMT, Darrel Christenson wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:

    >> Star Wars Episode 1's pod race is pretty good for showing off a
    >> system; that's about it... ;)

    > Except it's rear center is matrixed instead of discrete,
    > so why bother?

    Well, if you don't have a rear centre speaker, what does it matter?

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Oct 8, 2003
  8. EE Roth

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Darrel Christenson" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Of The Rings extended editions if you system can handle
    > DTS 7.1 discrete sound.

    It's 6.1, not 7.1. There are no 7.1 DVDs.

    > > Star Wars Episode 1's pod race is pretty good for showing off a

    system;
    > > that's about it... ;)

    > Except it's rear center is matrixed instead of discrete,
    > so why bother?

    The net result of a matrix center channel and a discrete center channel
    is audibly the same.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 8, 2003
  9. Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > It's 6.1, not 7.1. There are no 7.1 DVDs.

    Two fronts, two surrounds, two centers (one front and
    one rear) and one sub-woofer - 2, 4, 6, 7...

    ....and LOTR extended edition lights up all the signal
    indicators on my Yamaha RX-Z1, matrixed rear center for
    DD and discrete rear center fort DTS...

    .... I know the new math is hard when going from 5 to
    10and all, but it's okay you'll get there.

    > The net result of a matrix center channel and a discrete center channel
    > is audibly the same

    Well yeah, if your gear is crap and you don't have outs
    for a rear center. Duh.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Oct 8, 2003
  10. EE Roth

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:55:32 GMT, Darrel Christenson wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:

    >> It's 6.1, not 7.1. There are no 7.1 DVDs.

    > Two fronts, two surrounds, two centers (one front and
    > one rear) and one sub-woofer - 2, 4, 6, 7...

    Subwooofers are the .1 as they are not full-range speakers/channels. To
    my knowledge, there are not currently any DVDs with 7.1 channels.

    Even then, aren't some of the channels in 7.1 matrixed channels?

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Oct 8, 2003
  11. EE Roth

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > > It's 6.1, not 7.1. There are no 7.1 DVDs.

    > Two fronts, two surrounds, two centers (one front and
    > one rear) and one sub-woofer - 2, 4, 6, 7...
    >
    > ...and LOTR extended edition lights up all the signal
    > indicators on my Yamaha RX-Z1, matrixed rear center for
    > DD and discrete rear center fort DTS...
    >
    > ... I know the new math is hard when going from 5 to
    > 10and all, but it's okay you'll get there.

    Front right - 1
    Front center - 2
    Front left - 3
    Rear right - 4
    Rear center - 5
    Rear left - 6
    Subwoofer - .1

    The subwoofer is the .1 channel. If you have an amp that calls itself
    "7.1", that means that it asks you to install two rear center channels
    and will provide independent power for both of them, however the audio
    signal sent to them will be identical. There is no such thing as a 7.1
    DVD. If you don't believe me, go to www.dolby.com or www.dtsonline.com
    and do some reading.

    > > The net result of a matrix center channel and a discrete center

    channel
    > > is audibly the same

    > Well yeah, if your gear is crap and you don't have outs
    > for a rear center. Duh.

    Again, you are completely misinformed. Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES
    Matrix do have "outs" for a rear center. They do provide audio to that
    rear center. But instead of being discrete the center channel is created
    by matrixing just like the front center channel in a ProLogic setup. The
    end result is that you get independent audio to all three rear channels,
    just like you get independent audio to all three front channels in
    ProLogic.

    Duh.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 8, 2003
  12. Maureen Goldman, Oct 8, 2003
  13. EE Roth

    Evil Guest

    Darrel Christenson <> wrote in message news:<UULgb.520684$cF.187799@rwcrnsc53>...
    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >
    > > It's 6.1, not 7.1. There are no 7.1 DVDs.

    > Two fronts, two surrounds, two centers (one front and
    > one rear) and one sub-woofer - 2, 4, 6, 7...

    ? that's 6.1 the way I count. the sub woofer is the .1, not a 7th
    fullrange speaker, right?

    Evil, Oct 8, 2003
  14. EE Roth

    luminos Guest

    Rent the Imax 'Super Speedway' and hold on to your seat. Not much for
    rewatching, but the audio is amazing.

    luminos, Oct 8, 2003
  15. EE Roth

    luminos Guest

    By the way, I think Twister is often overlooked in this area. The bit rate
    is very high (it will tax the DVD player) and the audio is very complex
    during the storm scenes.

    luminos, Oct 8, 2003
  16. EE Roth

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <bm1q45$ti7$>, luminos
    <> wrote:

    > By the way, I think Twister is often overlooked in this area. The bit rate
    > is very high (it will tax the DVD player) and the audio is very complex
    > during the storm scenes.

    Also look for DVDs with isolated effects tracks. If you're into
    accuracy, dynamic range, and subtlety, selecting just the sound effects
    can be a very effective "show-off" tool.

    Max Volume, Oct 9, 2003
  17. EE Roth

    Me Again Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Two fronts, two surrounds, two centers (one front and
    >one rear) and one sub-woofer - 2, 4, 6, 7...

    .... equals 6.1 Your sub is the .1 part of 6.1. See
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...3-2240822-9357407?v=glance&s=dvd&vi=tech-info

    "Available Audio Tracks: English (6.1 DTS ES), English (Dolby Digital
    5.1 EX), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)"

    Me Again, Dec 10, 2003
  18. EE Roth

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:35:06 GMT, Me Again wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:55:32 GMT, Darrel Christenson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Two fronts, two surrounds, two centers (one front and
    >>one rear) and one sub-woofer - 2, 4, 6, 7...

    Blast from the past. Why are you responding to a 2-month-old post?

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)

    Codswallop, Dec 10, 2003
  19. EE Roth

    HellRazor Guest

    "Codswallop" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:35:06 GMT, Me Again wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    > > On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:55:32 GMT, Darrel Christenson
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Two fronts, two surrounds, two centers (one front and
    > >>one rear) and one sub-woofer - 2, 4, 6, 7...

    > Blast from the past. Why are you responding to a 2-month-old post?
    >
    > --
    > - Cods
    >

    > (un ROT-13 to email)

    He must have just seen his BACK TO THE FUTURE box set.

    HellRazor

    HellRazor, Dec 11, 2003
  20. HellRazor wrote:

    >>Blast from the past. Why are you responding to a 2-month-old post?
    >>
    >>- Cods

    > He must have just seen his BACK TO THE FUTURE box set.

    I don't know what you are all on about, if examine
    what Cods posted of mine it shows a date of Oct 8th
    which was when it was posted - not recently in a
    response to an older posting as he seems to be
    claiming.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Dec 11, 2003