    music. It uses Roxio MX for the software.

    Do I need a new sound card? If so, can you recommend one?

    Thanks a ton!
    Caliente, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Caliente

    Askhow.net Guest

    Does this board have a Via Chipset? If it does goto www.viatech.com it may
    fix any conflicts.
    but first see if there is a visible problem is the device manager. Second
    check ALL volume controlls for media programs and the advanced volume
    controls . Did you plug it in as AUX? make sure nothing is muted.

    Good Luck hope this helps.
    Jaks http://www.askhow.com
    Free Support Forums
    "Caliente" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone! I've got a bit of a problem........
    >
    > I just installed a new DVD burner (TDK 8x) on a MSI Turbo7 mobo. The
    > requirements for the new drive were Direct X 8.0 or better (for video and
    > sound card).
    >
    > I put in a new Radeon 9200 for the video but didn't touch the built in

    sound

    Askhow.net, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Caliente

    Caliente Guest

    Askhow.net <> wrote in message
    > Does this board have a Via Chipset? If it does goto www.viatech.com it

    may
    > fix any conflicts.

    Yes, it uses a Via chipset. The 4 in 1 drivers were updated and the the bios
    was flashed recently.

    > but first see if there is a visible problem is the device manager.

    No problems in device manager.

    Second
    > check ALL volume controlls for media programs and the advanced volume
    > controls . Did you plug it in as AUX? make sure nothing is muted.

    Checked all that. Can someone explain WHAT it mean to have a *compatable
    Direct X 8.0 sound card?

    Thanks for all responses!!

    Caliente, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Caliente

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Caliente" <> wrote in

    > Checked all that. Can someone explain WHAT it mean to have a *compatable
    > Direct X 8.0 sound card?

    Having a compatible Direct X 8.0 sound card means you have a sound card
    that has drivers supporting Direct X 8.0

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Caliente

    Caliente Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns9472A795A64F3Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > Having a compatible Direct X 8.0 sound card means you have a sound card
    > that has drivers supporting Direct X 8.0

    So an older card (like the built in one of the MSI mobo) might not be
    *compatable*? Or does it mean via may offer a better driver that does this?
    IOW, it's not the hardware, it's the software??

    It's getting clearer!!
    Caliente, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Caliente

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Caliente" <> wrote in

    > So an older card (like the built in one of the MSI mobo) might not be
    > *compatable*? Or does it mean via may offer a better driver that does
    > this? IOW, it's not the hardware, it's the software??

    It depends. A driver update may do it. It may not. Viaarena.com has
    drivers for via chipsets and via onboard sound chips, so you may want to
    grab the latest from there.

    It's kinda hard to understand. My graphics card supports Direct X 9.0.
    The card itself doesn't have the ability to do hardware Direct X 9 effects,
    like the new advanced Pixel and Vertex shaders, but it is still Direct X 9
    compatible, if you catch my drift.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004
  7. Caliente

    Caliente Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns9472F36B85C70Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > It's kinda hard to understand. My graphics card supports Direct X 9.0.
    > The card itself doesn't have the ability to do hardware Direct X 9

    effects,
    > like the new advanced Pixel and Vertex shaders, but it is still Direct X 9
    > compatible, if you catch my drift.

    OK, and thanks for your help!!
    Caliente, Jan 17, 2004