    Wayne
    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Wayne J. Cosshall, Sep 12, 2006

  2. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Bobby Guest

    "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote in message
    news:45072c89$0$4001$...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Sony has announced a new GPS unit for its digital cameras and camcorders
    > to record the position of every shot. Details are at:
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=673>

    Welcome to 4 months ago.
    Bobby, Sep 12, 2006

  3. Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

    > Sony has announced a new GPS unit for its digital cameras and camcorders
    > to record the position of every shot. Details are at:

    It sounds like other software could use the output of this device so
    other cameras could be supported. Perhaps something like Picasa will
    support it?

    Anyone heard of any leanings in that direction?
    Brian Sullivan, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Sony has announced a new GPS unit for its digital cameras and camcorders
    > to record the position of every shot. Details are at:
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=673>
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne

    Sounds like software could easily be written to match the time and date
    stamps with any tracklog from any GPS unit. Not need to buy Sony's
    doubtless pricey solution.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 13, 2006
  5. Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Sony has announced a new GPS unit for its digital cameras and camcorders
    > > to record the position of every shot. Details are at:
    > > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=673>
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Wayne

    > Sounds like software could easily be written to match the time and date
    > stamps with any tracklog from any GPS unit. Not need to buy Sony's
    > doubtless pricey solution.

    As far as I can tell the Sony product has a MSRP of $129
    CDN(http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...1&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1003212)
    and has built in flash memory, gps, software for recording time and gps
    location, a battery that runs it for 31 hours and a usb connection for
    downloading to computer.

    I don't think there are other GPS units at that price (I have one that
    connects to a laptop that cost less but carrying around a laptop and
    having to recharge every few hours seems like a less than optimum
    solution).
    Brian Sullivan, Sep 13, 2006
  6. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Padu Guest

    "Brian Sullivan"
    > It sounds like other software could use the output of this device so
    > other cameras could be supported. Perhaps something like Picasa will
    > support it?
    >
    > Anyone heard of any leanings in that direction?

    Actually, I believe you don't need their hardware. I develop GPS based
    applications, and thinking about it, if you have a tracklog recorded in a
    given format (NMEA is common to most, if not all, GPS devices), it shouldn't
    be difficult to write an application that goes through a folder where your
    pictures are stored and match the date picture was taken from the EXIF, and
    get the coordinate from the tracklog file at that time, and write back to
    the EXIF.

    I would create such a software easily, but I doubt that nobody thought about
    it yet.

    Cheers

    Padu
    Padu, Sep 13, 2006
  7. Wayne J. Cosshall

    kosh Guest

    Brian Sullivan wrote:
    > Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    >

    >>Sony has announced a new GPS unit for its digital cameras and camcorders
    >>to record the position of every shot. Details are at:

    > It sounds like other software could use the output of this device so
    > other cameras could be supported. Perhaps something like Picasa will
    > support it?
    >
    > Anyone heard of any leanings in that direction?

    I think there is plenty of reoom in the exif/meta file.... am I right in
    thinking I saw a gps section in PS filebrowser?

    kosh
    kosh, Sep 13, 2006
  8. Wayne J. Cosshall

    kosh Guest

    Padu wrote:
    > "Brian Sullivan"
    >
    >>It sounds like other software could use the output of this device so
    >>other cameras could be supported. Perhaps something like Picasa will
    >>support it?
    >>
    >>Anyone heard of any leanings in that direction?
    >>

    > Actually, I believe you don't need their hardware. I develop GPS based
    > applications, and thinking about it, if you have a tracklog recorded in a
    > given format (NMEA is common to most, if not all, GPS devices), it shouldn't
    > be difficult to write an application that goes through a folder where your
    > pictures are stored and match the date picture was taken from the EXIF, and
    > get the coordinate from the tracklog file at that time, and write back to
    > the EXIF.
    >
    > I would create such a software easily, but I doubt that nobody thought about
    > it yet.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Padu

    well someone thought it was good enough to make a product!!!! Perhaps
    there is something to it, though I can't imagine a LARGE numbr of people
    having a requirement like this..

    real estate
    military
    surveyors
    reporters who have a large number of images and travel lots
    ????

    hmmmm heres an idea.... if you could photograph say... a city from
    multiple anges with full GPS data including elevation..... I would think
    some clever software could give you amazing 3d photogrpahic renderings.

    come to think of it, one of my customers used their camera to record
    every inch of Melb. GP to make photo realistic game textures..... GPS
    data would probably be pretty usefull there too!

    just think aloud.... well in text!

    kosh
    kosh, Sep 13, 2006
  9. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Mr.T Guest

    "Bobby" <> wrote in message
    > > Sony has announced a new GPS unit for its digital cameras and camcorders
    > > to record the position of every shot. Details are at:
    > > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=673>

    > Welcome to 4 months ago.

    Yes, has even been on TV, "beyond tomorrow" or whatever the show is called.

    MrT.
    Mr.T, Sep 13, 2006
  10. kosh wrote:
    > Padu wrote:
    >> "Brian Sullivan"
    >>
    >>> It sounds like other software could use the output of this device so
    >>> other cameras could be supported. Perhaps something like Picasa will
    >>> support it?
    >>>
    >>> Anyone heard of any leanings in that direction?
    >>>

    >> Actually, I believe you don't need their hardware. I develop GPS based
    >> applications, and thinking about it, if you have a tracklog recorded
    >> in a given format (NMEA is common to most, if not all, GPS devices),
    >> it shouldn't be difficult to write an application that goes through a
    >> folder where your pictures are stored and match the date picture was
    >> taken from the EXIF, and get the coordinate from the tracklog file at
    >> that time, and write back to the EXIF.
    >>
    >> I would create such a software easily, but I doubt that nobody thought
    >> about it yet.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Padu
    >>

    > well someone thought it was good enough to make a product!!!! Perhaps
    > there is something to it, though I can't imagine a LARGE numbr of people
    > having a requirement like this..
    >
    > real estate
    > military
    > surveyors
    > reporters who have a large number of images and travel lots
    > ????

    Apparently it links with Google-Earth, so you can go to a spot, and then
    look at the photos you took there. Not a very practical purpose, but I'm
    sure if you look at who a lot of Sony's customers are (cashed up
    20-somethings who like gadgets, and will buy anything so long as it says
    S O N Y), that there will be quite a few who would go for such gizmos.
    Graham Fountain, Sep 13, 2006
  11. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Unspam Guest

    > kosh wrote:
    >> Padu wrote:
    >>> "Brian Sullivan"

    >>> Actually, I believe you don't need their hardware. I develop GPS based
    >>> applications, and thinking about it, if you have a tracklog recorded
    >>> in a given format (NMEA is common to most, if not all, GPS devices),
    >>> it shouldn't be difficult to write an application that goes through a
    >>> folder where your pictures are stored and match the date picture was
    >>> taken from the EXIF, and get the coordinate from the tracklog file at
    >>> that time, and write back to the EXIF.
    >>>
    >>> I would create such a software easily, but I doubt that nobody thought
    >>> about it yet.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Padu
    >>>

    >> well someone thought it was good enough to make a product!!!! Perhaps
    >> there is something to it, though I can't imagine a LARGE numbr of people
    >> having a requirement like this..
    >>
    >> real estate
    >> military
    >> surveyors
    >> reporters who have a large number of images and travel lots
    >> ????

    > Apparently it links with Google-Earth, so you can go to a spot, and then
    > look at the photos you took there. Not a very practical purpose, but I'm
    > sure if you look at who a lot of Sony's customers are (cashed up
    > 20-somethings who like gadgets, and will buy anything so long as it says
    > S O N Y), that there will be quite a few who would go for such gizmos.

    Quite handy if you need to bury something in the middle of a forest, desert
    or snows cape and find it again.
    Unspam, Sep 13, 2006
  12. In article <1sPNg.28163$>, kosh
    <> wrote:

    > >>Sony has announced a new GPS unit for its digital cameras and camcorders
    > >>to record the position of every shot. Details are at:

    And the useful purpose of this do-dad would be????
    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 13, 2006
  13. Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > And the useful purpose of this do-dad would be????

    I thought it was obvious. Or are you just being obtuse?

    It is potentially a method of automatically tagging every picture you
    take with the location on earth where it was taken. I guess if you
    don't want or need this information it has not much use.
    Brian Sullivan, Sep 13, 2006
  14. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Brian Sullivan" <> writes:
    > It is potentially a method of automatically tagging every picture you
    > take with the location on earth where it was taken.

    Really just the outdoor pics, and of those, just the ones that you
    took long enough after powering up the GPS for it to have acquired
    signals and figured out the coordinates. This can take up to 12
    minutes, depending on how long it's been since you last used the
    thing.
    Paul Rubin, Sep 13, 2006
  15. Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "Brian Sullivan" <> writes:
    > > It is potentially a method of automatically tagging every picture you
    > > take with the location on earth where it was taken.

    It seems though that the software that comes with it will interpolate
    so that even indoor pictures can be tagged (at least approximately).

    > Really just the outdoor pics, and of those, just the ones that you
    > took long enough after powering up the GPS for it to have acquired
    > signals and figured out the coordinates. This can take up to 12
    > minutes, depending on how long it's been since you last used the
    > thing.

    12 minutes? I didn't notice that info in the specs.The Pharos GPS I
    have for my laptop usually takes max 15-30 seconds to start up and
    orient itself.
    Brian Sullivan, Sep 13, 2006
  16. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Paul Allen Guest

    On 13 Sep 2006 06:15:02 -0700
    "Brian Sullivan" <> wrote:

    > Paul Rubin wrote:
    > > "Brian Sullivan" <> writes:
    > > > It is potentially a method of automatically tagging every picture
    > > > you take with the location on earth where it was taken.

    > It seems though that the software that comes with it will interpolate
    > so that even indoor pictures can be tagged (at least approximately).

    Hmmm... I'd rather have no data than a guess.

    > > Really just the outdoor pics,

    Even outdoors, the GPS system doesn't work well under trees. Foliage
    is not transparent to the signals, resulting in multipath, phase
    changes, and positions that can be off by miles.

    > and of those, just the ones that you
    > > took long enough after powering up the GPS for it to have acquired
    > > signals and figured out the coordinates. This can take up to 12
    > > minutes, depending on how long it's been since you last used the
    > > thing.

    > 12 minutes? I didn't notice that info in the specs.The Pharos GPS I
    > have for my laptop usually takes max 15-30 seconds to start up and
    > orient itself.

    Probably depends on the unit. My old Eagle Explorer gets a fix in a
    couple minutes when powered on after months of sitting in a drawer,
    but it's quicker if I use it more often.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Sep 13, 2006
  17. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:43:55 GMT
    kosh <> wrote:

    > Padu wrote:
    > [...]
    > well someone thought it was good enough to make a product!!!! Perhaps
    > there is something to it, though I can't imagine a LARGE numbr of
    > people having a requirement like this..
    >
    > real estate
    > military
    > surveyors
    > reporters who have a large number of images and travel lots
    > ????

    Anybody who travels and has trouble reconstructing the location of
    each shot later. I just came home from the Queen Charlotte Islands
    with 600 images that were mostly taken at remote Haida village sites
    that haven't been occupied since the smallpox epidemics of the 1800's.
    I took notes on what villages we stopped at each day, but tagging all
    those images with locations later was laborious.

    A technological fix for that problem is tempting, although having
    more gear to lug around while clambering in and out of the Zodiac,
    wading ashore onto a rocky beach, and traipsing through the mossy
    woods is not. :)

    > hmmmm heres an idea.... if you could photograph say... a city from
    > multiple anges with full GPS data including elevation..... I would
    > think some clever software could give you amazing 3d photogrpahic
    > renderings.

    It would need to deal with the inherent uncertainty in the position
    data. It's possible to get centimeter accuracy with really expensive
    gear, but the normal handheld GPS has an uncertainty in the tens of
    meters that changes constantly as the satellite constellation changes.

    > come to think of it, one of my customers used their camera to record
    > every inch of Melb. GP to make photo realistic game textures..... GPS
    > data would probably be pretty usefull there too!
    >
    > just think aloud.... well in text!

    Yeah. Let your fingers do the thinking.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Sep 13, 2006
  18. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Padu Guest

    "kosh"
    > well someone thought it was good enough to make a product!!!! Perhaps
    > there is something to it, though I can't imagine a LARGE numbr of people
    > having a requirement like this..

    <snip>

    An idea to be sold to the masses has to be simple enough not to require much
    interaction from the user, and that's what I think it is. They sell the idea
    that everything is "integrated". I'm almost getting the motivation to
    research what is on the market already that works with any GPS and any EXIF
    enabled camera...

    > hmmmm heres an idea.... if you could photograph say... a city from
    > multiple anges with full GPS data including elevation..... I would think
    > some clever software could give you amazing 3d photogrpahic renderings.

    The guys from Microsoft Research labs are already doing that... I've watched
    a demo of their software and it is really incredible. They use a database of
    pictures taken from several different cameras from several different angles
    and that is used to build a 3D model of a city.

    > come to think of it, one of my customers used their camera to record every
    > inch of Melb. GP to make photo realistic game textures..... GPS data would
    > probably be pretty usefull there too!
    >
    > just think aloud.... well in text!

    maybe it is the time (as a software developer) to develop some applications
    in this area huhn? I'll think about that.

    Cheers

    Padu
    Padu, Sep 13, 2006
  19. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Padu Guest

    "Graham Fountain"
    > Apparently it links with Google-Earth, so you can go to a spot, and then
    > look at the photos you took there. Not a very practical purpose, but I'm
    > sure if you look at who a lot of Sony's customers are (cashed up
    > 20-somethings who like gadgets, and will buy anything so long as it says S
    > O N Y), that there will be quite a few who would go for such gizmos.

    Google earth is a revolution, they opened their API for anyone to use. One
    of the consequences, for example, is smugmug. They are able to use google
    earth in their webpage to show pictures of a given location.

    I found it very useful. For example, before going on a recent trip to santa
    barbara, calif., I took a look at the pictures/locations using
    smugmug/google and I found some nice shooting locations.

    The inconvenience right now is that you have to enter coordinates for each
    individual picture. If there was a way to automate and include coordinates
    into the exif, that service would be expanded immensely.

    Cheers

    Padu
    Padu, Sep 13, 2006
  20. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Padu Guest

    "Unspam"

    > Quite handy if you need to bury something in the middle of a forest,
    > desert
    > or snows cape and find it again.

    Isn't that the concept behind geocaching?
    Padu, Sep 13, 2006