New Sony Digital camera?????

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ciberguy, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Ciberguy

    Ciberguy Guest

    I hear that Sony is coming out with a new Sony digital camera.

    I am looking a buying the DSC-F717 BUT I was told that a

    newer model will be arriving shortly.

    I was hoping to find something regarding this at the Sony site.

    No such luck!!!!!!

    Thanks!

    Ciberguy, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Sony 828- see a preview look at www.dpreview.com

    Initial reports is that there is a delay in production and distribution.

    gilbert grape, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Ciberguy

    HRosita Guest

    HRosita, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Ciberguy

    Ciberguy Guest

    "gilbert grape" <> wrote in message
    > Sony 828- see a preview look at www.dpreview.com
    >
    > Initial reports is that there is a delay in production and distribution.

    Thank you for the info!
    I love the look of the camera! I guess we will find out how much better it
    is compared to the DSC-F717.

    Ciberguy, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Ciberguy

    Ciberguy Guest

    Ciberguy, Nov 5, 2003
  6. One of the more exciting aspects is the new sensor, although many folks have
    commented that they would have been happy with all the new features but with
    the "old" 717 sensor. And of course, the fact that the camera with accept
    compact flash cards will make it much more appetizing to us folks who have
    loads of CF cards and who did not want to invest in Memory Sticks.

    gilbert grape, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Ciberguy

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <zs7qb.28905$>,
    says...
    > I hear that Sony is coming out with a new Sony digital camera.
    >
    > I am looking a buying the DSC-F717 BUT I was told that a
    >
    > newer model will be arriving shortly.
    >

    > I was hoping to find something regarding this at the Sony site.
    >
    > No such luck!!!!!!

    > Thanks!

    It's the Sony F828.

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/

    It's been delayed twice now I think...

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Nov 5, 2003
  8. Ciberguy

    bmoag Guest

    Most retailers are quoting mid-January as the estimated ship date. It was
    originally supposed to be Nov 1 for the Christmas season. There is
    speculation about difficulties with image quality in production models with
    this new sensor: if Sony is missing the Christmas season (they announced
    this camera in August) there must be some significant problems.

    bmoag, Nov 5, 2003
  9. Ciberguy

    Bob Niland Guest

    > Ciberguy <> wrote:

    > I hear that the camera should be out
    > sometime this month.

    Sony sources and websites have been quoted
    as saying:
    24 Nov
    "mid Dec"
    15 Jan

    Amazon is quoting 20 Jan.

    I'm interested in this cam as well, but for
    me the key date is when this review becomes
    final:
    <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/>

    See also:
    <http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/DSC/DSC-F828/index.html>
    Entirely in Japanese, except for the URLs.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Nov 5, 2003
  10. Ciberguy

    Charlie Ih Guest

    The CCD pixel size is only 2.5 um. So the ISO speed of 100 is greatly
    inflated. The true ISO speed is probably less than 50. I seriously
    doubt that a lens with 7:1 zoom ratio can be theoretically designed
    to resolve 2.5 mu covering 8 MP size over a significant part
    of the zoom ranges. This does not count for
    tolerances in component fabrications and assembling. The theoretical
    f# to resolve 2.5 um is 4. So at f# 8, the lens can only resolve
    2 MP at the best. This is Sony's brilliant marketing strategy.
    The 8 MP and the 7:1 zoom they can openly advertise while nearly no body
    can easily check the true ISO speeds and resolutions which of course
    are not so important to most people.

    Don't get me wrong. I am not against Sony. In fact all my camcorders
    are Sony. I think they are among the best. I also own Sony
    computers and LCD monitors. I am only stating facts but
    nothing else.

    --
    Charles S. Ih
    302-831-8173, FAX 302-831-4316

    Charlie Ih, Nov 5, 2003
  11. Ciberguy

    > One of the more exciting aspects is the new sensor, although many folks

    have
    > commented that they would have been happy with all the new features but

    with
    > the "old" 717 sensor. And of course, the fact that the camera with accept
    > compact flash cards will make it much more appetizing to us folks who have
    > loads of CF cards and who did not want to invest in Memory Sticks.

    Thank you Gilbert from replying!

    Yep all of the new bells and whistles sound almost too good to be true! In
    your opinion
    why would one want all the new features minus the new sensor?

    Ciberguy

    Ciberguy, Nov 5, 2003
  12. Ciberguy

    Ciberguy Guest

    "Bob Niland" <> wrote in message
    > > Ciberguy <> wrote:

    > > I hear that the camera should be out
    > > sometime this month.

    > Sony sources and websites have been quoted
    > as saying:
    > 24 Nov
    > "mid Dec"
    > 15 Jan
    >
    > Amazon is quoting 20 Jan.
    >
    > I'm interested in this cam as well, but for
    > me the key date is when this review becomes
    > final:
    > <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/>
    >
    > See also:
    > <http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/DSC/DSC-F828/index.html>
    > Entirely in Japanese, except for the URLs.

    Gee Bob they sure know how to make us wait!! I was going to buy the current
    model but was told by the
    sales guy that the new one is on its way. No need buying an old camera!
    Don't take what I said the wrong way there is
    -nothing- wrong with the current model. From what I have read it appears
    that the F828 will be a lot better.

    Thanks for replying Bob!!!

    Ciberguy

    Ciberguy, Nov 5, 2003
  13. Ciberguy

    Ciberguy Guest

    "Charlie Ih" <> wrote in message
    > The CCD pixel size is only 2.5 um. So the ISO speed of 100 is greatly
    > inflated. The true ISO speed is probably less than 50. I seriously
    > doubt that a lens with 7:1 zoom ratio can be theoretically designed
    > to resolve 2.5 mu covering 8 MP size over a significant part
    > of the zoom ranges. This does not count for
    > tolerances in component fabrications and assembling. The theoretical
    > f# to resolve 2.5 um is 4. So at f# 8, the lens can only resolve
    > 2 MP at the best. This is Sony's brilliant marketing strategy.
    > The 8 MP and the 7:1 zoom they can openly advertise while nearly no body
    > can easily check the true ISO speeds and resolutions which of course
    > are not so important to most people.
    >

    > Don't get me wrong. I am not against Sony. In fact all my camcorders
    > are Sony. I think they are among the best. I also own Sony
    > computers and LCD monitors. I am only stating facts but
    > nothing else.

    Thank your Charlie for your input. I do respect it. I need this kind of
    data.
    But the true is the true. I do believe you.

    Ciberguy

    Ciberguy, Nov 5, 2003
  14. Ciberguy

    Ciberguy Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > Most retailers are quoting mid-January as the estimated ship date. It was
    > originally supposed to be Nov 1 for the Christmas season. There is
    > speculation about difficulties with image quality in production models

    with
    > this new sensor: if Sony is missing the Christmas season (they announced
    > this camera in August) there must be some significant problems.

    You may be on to something....................................

    Thanks!

    Ciberguy

    Ciberguy, Nov 5, 2003
  15. Ciberguy

    Bob Niland Guest

    > Charlie Ih <> wrote:

    > I seriously doubt that a lens with 7:1
    > zoom ratio can be theoretically designed
    > to resolve 2.5 mu covering 8 MP size over
    > a significant part of the zoom ranges.

    Look on the bright side - this camera probably
    doesn't need an anti-aliasing filter :)

    Bob Niland, Nov 5, 2003
  16. Ciberguy

    Bob Niland Guest

    > Ciberguy <> wrote:

    > From what I have read it appears
    > that the F828 will be a lot better.

    It all depends on how you define "better".
    If you were planning to use add-on wide or
    tele lenses, or adapt the 'F828 to a telescope,
    microscope or bellows, you may be completely
    out of luck with the '828, whereas the '717
    can handle these applications with no problem.

    The effective [luminance] resolution of the
    "8Mp" 'F828 may also no higher than the "5Mp"
    F717, but the chroma res may be higher, in
    case you were planning to shoot a lot of
    obscure Sigma/Foveon test chart photos :)

    The intro slip may or may not be due to efforts
    to fix these issues.

    Until an objective detailed review appears,
    all is speculation.

    Bob Niland, Nov 5, 2003
  17. It certainly appears that the 828 will be a "do-it-all" solution for most
    folks- my comments regarding the sensor are merely speculative. It appears
    from all that I have read, that delays in the production and distribution of
    the 828 are related to tweaks that are being performed on the sensor and/or
    processor. Since the 717 is so highly acclaimed, some folks are just a
    little frustrated with the wait and would have probably gone with the 828
    features and the 717 sensor. I think the wait will the worth it- Sony
    generally does not fail in these type of products. I am a Sony fan from way
    back when in the days of the Sony Mavica (when they recorded images onto
    floppies) and my girlfriend has a 717 which she cherishes and which outputs
    awfully nice pics. Of course, we are all waiting for the final word when a
    review of a production unit is published on www.dpreview.com and lots of
    folks are looking forward to seeing what that new sensor at 8 megapixels
    will actually produce.

    gilbert grape, Nov 6, 2003