    Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
    given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.

    The Alpha range is dying.

    Bruce, Jul 29, 2010

  2. Bruce

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:

    > The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
    > DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
    > Photographer" until recently.
    >
    > The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
    > the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
    > Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on the
    > A380's predecessor, the A350.
    >
    > The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted. The
    > list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.
    >
    > Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
    > given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.
    >
    > The Alpha range is dying.

    I think it may have started 'dying' the day Sony bought it from Minolta.

    ray, Jul 29, 2010

  3. Bruce

    whisky-dave Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:
    >
    >> The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
    >> DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
    >> Photographer" until recently.
    >>
    >> The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
    >> the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
    >> Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on the
    >> A380's predecessor, the A350.
    >>
    >> The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted. The
    >> list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.
    >>
    >> Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
    >> given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.
    >>
    >> The Alpha range is dying.

    > I think it may have started 'dying' the day Sony bought it from Minolta.

    maybe they should consider a Beta range, but then again beta is usually
    thought of as work in progress. The Sony NIF (New improved formula) likm
    they do with washing up liquid ;-)

    whisky-dave, Jul 30, 2010
  4. "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    []
    > I bought the Alpha 100 when it first came out, and it has been an
    > amazing camera. Better resolution than any of the Canikons of the time,
    > and still terrific. Great range of lenses. Intuitive controls. Still
    > current, but I am interested in Live View and possibly video now.
    >
    > The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
    > except to Canikon luddites.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    In the forefront? Not sure about that.

    Worth changing a complete system for? Perhaps worth considering if
    starting from scratch.

    Is resolution everything?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 30, 2010
  5. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
    <> wrote:

    >The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront

    Complete nonsense!

    But thank you for the best laugh I have had this week. ;-)

    Bruce, Jul 30, 2010
  6. In article <_gC4o.43021$>,
    "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote:

    > The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
    > except to Canikon luddites.

    Gary-

    I have a nice collection of Minolta lenses previously used with a couple
    of 35mm bodies. They worked perfectly with the Alpha 100, so I upgraded
    to the Alpha 900.

    I would be a Sony luddite if I hadn't also played with a Canon 5D Mark
    II. The optics are no better or worse, but noise at low light levels is
    much LESS noticeable with the Canon. Canon photos at ISO 3200 are
    comparable to Sony photos at ISO 400, except that higher shutter speeds
    result in sharper images!

    I wonder if models released since the A900 are any less noisy at high
    ISO? If Sony can't solve the noise problem, they won't stand a chance.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Jul 31, 2010
  7. Fred McKenzie <> wrote:
    > In article <_gC4o.43021$>,
    > "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote:

    >> The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
    >> except to Canikon luddites.

    > Gary-

    > I have a nice collection of Minolta lenses previously used with a couple
    > of 35mm bodies. They worked perfectly with the Alpha 100, so I upgraded
    > to the Alpha 900.

    > I would be a Sony luddite if I hadn't also played with a Canon 5D Mark
    > II. The optics are no better or worse, but noise at low light levels is
    > much LESS noticeable with the Canon. Canon photos at ISO 3200 are
    > comparable to Sony photos at ISO 400, except that higher shutter speeds
    > result in sharper images!

    > I wonder if models released since the A900 are any less noisy at high
    > ISO? If Sony can't solve the noise problem, they won't stand a chance.

    They are less noisy. Check out dpreviews or any others.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 31, 2010
  8. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
    <> wrote:
    :
    : "whisky-dave" <> wrote in message
    : news:i2upbf$eie$1@qmul...
    : >
    : > "ray" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    : >> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:
    : >>
    : >>> The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
    : >>> DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
    : >>> Photographer" until recently.
    : >>>
[...]

    I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the company
    circled the drain.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 31, 2010
  9. Bruce

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 8/2/2010 12:02 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > "Robert Coe"<> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
    >> <> wrote:

    >> : The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
    >> : except to Canikon luddites.
    >>
    >> I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the
    >> company
    >> circled the drain.
    >>

    > What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
    > year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
    > hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
    > well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

    Sony brought out new Palm-based PDAs every year too. More models than
    anyone else and better. And then one day they decided that they didn't
    want to be in that business anymore and dropped the whole product line.

    J. Clarke, Aug 2, 2010
  10. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 00:02:13 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
    <> wrote:

    >What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
    >year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
    >hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
    >well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

    You must be just about the only person in the world who believes that
    Sony Alpha DSLRs are at the "forefront" of anything.

    Self-delusion or wishful thinking? Or both?

    Bruce, Aug 2, 2010
  11. Bruce <> wrote:
    > The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
    > DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
    > Photographer" until recently.

    > The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
    > the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
    > Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on
    > the A380's predecessor, the A350.

    > The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted.
    > The list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.

    I think there was either some bias or ignorance in that quick
    review. For example, he goes on at length about all the various
    factors that can in some circumstances lead to poor auto exposure, and
    clearly finds this auto exposure inaccuracy annoying. Yet this camera
    inherits the unique separate-sensored live view of the A350, one of
    whose special attributes was that the secondary live view sensor was
    able to act as an extremely detailed exposure sensor when it was in
    use, leading to remarkably accurate exposures. If the 390 has junked
    that feature of the 350, it's well worth a strong adverse comment. But
    I suspect he simply didn't know about it and did his exposure testing
    with the live view off.

    I'm also puzzled by the claim that there's no on-screen help to making
    quick adjustments to shooting parameters. The A350 had plenty of that,
    and while that's the kind of sophistication that might be dropped in a
    simplified later model with a lesser number (320?), it's odd to find
    it being dropped off a model which is supposed to be an upgrade. Has
    it really been dropped off, or did the reviewer simply not find it in
    the place he expected it to be?

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 2, 2010
  12. Gary Eickmeier <> wrote:

    > "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
    >> <> wrote:

    >> : The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
    >> : except to Canikon luddites.
    >>
    >> I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the
    >> company
    >> circled the drain.

    > What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
    > year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
    > hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
    > well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

    According to the Sony people I've talked to, they're not bringing out
    video in DSLRs until they've got a system sufficiently good to leave
    the competition struggling to catch up. But then they would say that
    :)

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 2, 2010
  13. Bruce

    Peter Guest

    "Chris Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > Bruce <> wrote:
    >> The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
    >> DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
    >> Photographer" until recently.

    >> The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
    >> the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
    >> Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on
    >> the A380's predecessor, the A350.

    >> The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted.
    >> The list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.

    > I think there was either some bias or ignorance in that quick
    > review. For example, he goes on at length about all the various
    > factors that can in some circumstances lead to poor auto exposure, and
    > clearly finds this auto exposure inaccuracy annoying. Yet this camera
    > inherits the unique separate-sensored live view of the A350, one of
    > whose special attributes was that the secondary live view sensor was
    > able to act as an extremely detailed exposure sensor when it was in
    > use, leading to remarkably accurate exposures. If the 390 has junked
    > that feature of the 350, it's well worth a strong adverse comment. But
    > I suspect he simply didn't know about it and did his exposure testing
    > with the live view off.
    >
    > I'm also puzzled by the claim that there's no on-screen help to making
    > quick adjustments to shooting parameters. The A350 had plenty of that,
    > and while that's the kind of sophistication that might be dropped in a
    > simplified later model with a lesser number (320?), it's odd to find
    > it being dropped off a model which is supposed to be an upgrade. Has
    > it really been dropped off, or did the reviewer simply not find it in
    > the place he expected it to be?

    The problem is that Brucie, typically, is simply quoting without analysis. I
    have never used the camera and do not feel qualified on the merits, but I do
    recognize BS when I see it. Too many here are simply spouting without actual
    knowledge

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 2, 2010
  14. In article <>, Bruce says...

    >The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
    >DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
    >Photographer" until recently.
    >
    >The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
    >the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
    >Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on
    >the A380's predecessor, the A350.
    >
    >The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted.
    >The list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.
    >
    >Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
    >given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.
    >
    >The Alpha range is dying.

    Of course it's dying... - that's why i bought an Alpha A55. I absolutely dislike
    Canikon fanboys - and started with a Minolta 5D - not the top, but exactly what
    i needed. I moved on to the A700 - still a very capable DSLR - and now have an
    A55 - with technology inside that's not (yet) available thru canikon (don't
    forget Sony is one of the main CMOS producers - what's inside your
    Nikon/Pentax... ???).

    Every company has it's own failures - but it's not a great idea to conclude on
    the base of one less model - that a brand is dying.

    I've seen the sales figures - and Canikon has every right to be worried.

    Just let people make choises - it's allways the same with those religious
    type(s) who believe their choise is best. Just use the arguments why your system
    is the best - and respect the choises other people make.

    The more you hammer on Sony the stronger it may become - just because people
    will start to be disguisted by Canikon fanboyisms.

    When you buy a camera you'll have to learn how to use it - and it's a personal
    choise what you'll use it for. That deserves respect - and you can measure the
    quality of the optics - you can talk about colours and... In the end what
    matters is that the one who uses the machine is happy with it.

    Sony is number 3 - and it's market share is increasing - the lineup is not up to
    canikon's - but do we need all this? Maybe not - and that leaves room for 3th
    party - that's a lot better for the market isn't it?

    Muttley the Canikon-disliker, Jun 2, 2011
  15. Bruce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > As for Sony making sensors for Nikon and Pentax, perhaps you should
    > also ask Sony executives why Sony sensors produce significantly better
    > image quality in other brands of camera.

    they don't. nikon uses essentially the same sensor as sony (with minor
    differences) and theirs are much better, lower noise in particular.

    nospam, Jun 2, 2011
  16. Bruce

    DanP Guest

    On Jun 2, 5:29 pm, nospam <> wrote:

    > they don't. nikon uses essentially the same sensor as sony (with minor
    > differences) and theirs are much better, lower noise in particular.

    So, which Sony camera is on a par with Nikon D3s?
    All that matters is results, and if Nikon manages to get better
    results from the same sensor, well bad news for Sony.

    DanP

    DanP, Jun 3, 2011
  17. Bruce

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    DanP <> wrote:

    > > they don't. nikon uses essentially the same sensor as sony (with minor
    > > differences) and theirs are much better, lower noise in particular.

    > So, which Sony camera is on a par with Nikon D3s?

    the nikon d3s is a nikon design.

    the nikon d3x is essentially the same sensor as sony, but with nikon
    tweaks.

    > All that matters is results, and if Nikon manages to get better
    > results from the same sensor, well bad news for Sony.

    true.

    nospam, Jun 3, 2011