new software then media player croaks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mike, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    hi,

    using an Emachine T6212, Windows XP SP2. Windows Media Player v10.

    today i installed some software for an Olympus digital voice recorder model
    VN 480PC. the software is called Olympus Digital Wave Player. it enables
    downloading via USB cable from the recorder to the PC. this functioned
    great.

    but it knocked the audio out of windows media player 10 (unless this is a
    huge coincidence). i cannot play CDs, i've lost audio on dvds and i cannot
    i hear internet broadcasts (radio).

    as a test, i uninstalled the Olympus Digital Wave Player software to see if
    WMP 10 would "come back." no such luck.

    my speakers are connected and are working because i can raise and lower the
    volume of the little windows ditty that plays at bootup.

    hope someone can figure this one out and i'll be standing by if i have not
    provided enough info.

    thank you,

    mike

    mike, Mar 8, 2006

  2. mike

    °Mike° Guest

    In message <uPrPf.3989$%>,
    mike took 28 lines to impart the following:

    >hi,
    >
    >using an Emachine T6212, Windows XP SP2. Windows Media Player v10.
    >
    >today i installed some software for an Olympus digital voice recorder model
    >VN 480PC. the software is called Olympus Digital Wave Player. it enables
    >downloading via USB cable from the recorder to the PC. this functioned
    >great.
    >
    >but it knocked the audio out of windows media player 10 (unless this is a
    >huge coincidence). i cannot play CDs, i've lost audio on dvds and i cannot
    >i hear internet broadcasts (radio).
    >
    >as a test, i uninstalled the Olympus Digital Wave Player software to see if
    >WMP 10 would "come back." no such luck.
    >
    >my speakers are connected and are working because i can raise and lower the
    >volume of the little windows ditty that plays at bootup.
    >
    >hope someone can figure this one out and i'll be standing by if i have not
    >provided enough info.
    >
    >thank you,
    >
    >mike

    Double click the little speaker icon in your system tray, and
    make sure that no vital sources have been muted.
    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 8, 2006

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    no, nothing muted. speakers do crank out the annoying windows bootup tune.

    mike

    mike, Mar 8, 2006
  4. mike

    °Mike° Guest

    Ok, open Sound and Audio Devices from Control Panel.
    In the 'Audio' tab, make sure that the correct sound
    playback device is selected.

    In message <E7sPf.3991$%>,
    mike took 48 lines to impart the following:

    >no, nothing muted. speakers do crank out the annoying windows bootup tune.
    >
    >mike

    <snip>
    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 8, 2006
  5. mike

    mike Guest

    we'll narrow this bastard down.

    only device in the dropdown box is: "microsoft gs wavetable sw synth." so i
    guess that's what it's using. could i have wiped out a DLL?

    i called a friend for help and he said, "it's probably a codec." i asked
    what a codec was and he said he wasn't sure "but they can screw up your
    sound capability." i laughed and told him i was going to 24 hour support.

    mike

    mike, Mar 8, 2006
  6. mike

    °Mike° Guest

    If it was a codec problem, I would think that it would have
    manifest itself before you installed the other software.
    Can you hear .wav file in WMP? How about .mp3 or .wma ?
    Trying to put this codec theory to one side.

    BTW, this will give you some information about codecs:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

    In message <1rsPf.3993$%>,
    mike took 31 lines to impart the following:

    >we'll narrow this bastard down.
    >
    >only device in the dropdown box is: "microsoft gs wavetable sw synth." so i
    >guess that's what it's using. could i have wiped out a DLL?
    >
    > i called a friend for help and he said, "it's probably a codec." i asked
    >what a codec was and he said he wasn't sure "but they can screw up your
    >sound capability." i laughed and told him i was going to 24 hour support.
    >
    >mike

    <snip>
    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 8, 2006
  7. mike

    mike Guest

    fixed. i was fooling with WMP. had a cd in and playing. opened dropdpwn
    "Play" and checked "volume." mute had been selected. and not by me.

    not sure how it happened.

    mike

    mike, Mar 8, 2006
  8. mike

    mike Guest

    and thank you mike for your help.

    mike

    mike, Mar 8, 2006
  9. mike

    °Mike° Guest

    And my first advice was....

    In message <jOsPf.3999$%>,
    mike took 39 lines to impart the following:

    >fixed. i was fooling with WMP. had a cd in and playing. opened dropdpwn
    >"Play" and checked "volume." mute had been selected. and not by me.
    >
    >not sure how it happened.
    >
    >mike

    <snip>
    --