    tai
    --
    Slacker

    Slacker, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Slacker wrote:
    > I'm looking buy some PS-esque software, probably Jasc, but I'm
    > wondering...

    > Do software companies have scheduled yearly releases similar to
    > bikes or cars or do they just release new versions whenever?

    > I would hate to purchase something only to have an upgrade/new
    > version come out 30 days later.

    PSP used to come with a discount-on-future upgrades deal, IIRC. It
    wasn't a huge discount; maybe $10.

    > Btw, I did try calling Jasc, but got put on hold forever till I gave
    > up; haven't tried MS or Abode.

    PSP hasn't been yearly. I started with 5 probably eight years ago. (I
    no longer use it, but it's at something like 10, isn't it?)

    > I guess I'm most curious about Adobe, Jasc and Microsoft too for
    > other types of software.

    PSP can use PSP accessories (I don't remember what they're called); it's
    a heck of a lot cheaper than PS. Unless you have professional needs
    that only PS can handle, I'd think buying it would be much like buying
    that Lamborghini (that I so love! <g>) for the daily 1-mile commute on
    35MPH surface streets. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Slacker

    Tim Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > I'm looking buy some PS-esque software, probably Jasc, but I'm
    > wondering...
    >
    > Do software companies have scheduled yearly releases similar to
    > bikes or cars or do they just release new versions whenever?
    >
    > I would hate to purchase something only to have an upgrade/new
    > version come out 30 days later.
    >
    > Btw, I did try calling Jasc, but got put on hold forever till I gave
    > up; haven't tried MS or Abode.
    >
    > I guess I'm most curious about Adobe, Jasc and Microsoft too for
    > other types of software.
    >
    > tai

    As far as Jasc goes, they have a very strict rule against commenting on
    future releases. Paintshop Pro 8 has been released for about a year. It
    was released about 2 years after PSP7 and after 4 or 5 months of public
    beta testing. There would definitely be about the same period of public
    beta for any future release... it's something Jasc has always done and
    strongly believes in, so it's a pretty safe bet that a new version is
    still a little way off. And when it does happen, the upgrades are very
    cheap. Upgrading from any earlier version to PSP8 is only $49. There's
    also a free trial version that lasts 60 days.

    All the best

    Tim

    Tim, Jul 27, 2004
  4. Slacker

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| Slacker wrote:
    >| > I'm looking buy some PS-esque software, probably Jasc, but I'm
    >| > wondering...
    >| >
    >| > Do software companies have scheduled yearly releases similar to
    >| > bikes or cars or do they just release new versions whenever?
    >| >
    >| > I would hate to purchase something only to have an upgrade/new
    >| > version come out 30 days later.
    >| >
    >| > Btw, I did try calling Jasc, but got put on hold forever till I
    >| > gave up; haven't tried MS or Abode.
    >| >
    >| > I guess I'm most curious about Adobe, Jasc and Microsoft too for
    >| > other types of software.
    >| >
    >| > tai
    >|
    >| As far as Jasc goes, they have a very strict rule against commenting
    >| on future releases.

    Can you blame them? Think what it must do to current sales levels if they
    say, "Hey - buy our product. BTW, there's a new version being released in 3
    weeks, just so you can buy our product TWICE! Isn't that great?"

    Seriously, though, it is quite common for companies to be a bit closed-mouth
    about future releases for other reasons. For instance, if they are adding
    neat new features that no one else has thought of, why let the cat out of
    the bag?

    >| Paintshop Pro 8 has been released for about a
    >| year. It was released about 2 years after PSP7 and after 4 or 5
    >| months of public beta testing. There would definitely be about the
    >| same period of public beta for any future release... it's something
    >| Jasc has always done and strongly believes in, so it's a pretty safe
    >| bet that a new version is still a little way off. And when it does
    >| happen, the upgrades are very cheap. Upgrading from any earlier
    >| version to PSP8 is only $49. There's also a free trial version that
    >| lasts 60 days.

    Overall, IMO, they have certainly been one of the best software producers
    out there. Until my father passed away, that was one of his all-time
    favorite programs.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Toolman Tim wrote:

    [re Jasc/PSP]

    > Overall, IMO, they have certainly been one of the best software producers
    > out there. Until my father passed away, that was one of his all-time
    > favorite programs.

    Allow me to vote for it, as well. Extremely happy with it, from
    mid-nineties until moving to the GIMP in 2002.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 27, 2004
  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>| As far as Jasc goes, they have a very strict rule against commenting
    >>| on future releases.

    > Can you blame them? Think what it must do to current sales levels if they
    > say, "Hey - buy our product. BTW, there's a new version being released in 3
    > weeks, just so you can buy our product TWICE! Isn't that great?"
    >
    > Seriously, though, it is quite common for companies to be a bit closed-mouth
    > about future releases for other reasons. For instance, if they are adding
    > neat new features that no one else has thought of, why let the cat out of
    > the bag?

    Good point, but someone in that company has to have loose lips ;-)

    >>| Paintshop Pro 8 has been released for about a
    >>| year. It was released about 2 years after PSP7 and after 4 or 5
    >>| months of public beta testing. There would definitely be about the
    >>| same period of public beta for any future release... it's something
    >>| Jasc has always done and strongly believes in, so it's a pretty safe
    >>| bet that a new version is still a little way off. And when it does
    >>| happen, the upgrades are very cheap. Upgrading from any earlier
    >>| version to PSP8 is only $49. There's also a free trial version that
    >>| lasts 60 days.

    > Overall, IMO, they have certainly been one of the best software producers
    > out there. Until my father passed away, that was one of his all-time
    > favorite programs.

    I've been using the eval ver for the past few days, I'm pretty much
    sold on it. Easy to use for the non-pro and does everything I want.
    I like their Photo Album too. Jasc seems like a really good company
    with great prices.

    Thanks for the help guys.

    --
    Slacker

    Slacker, Jul 27, 2004
  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > PSP can use PSP accessories (I don't remember what they're called); it's
    > a heck of a lot cheaper than PS. Unless you have professional needs
    > that only PS can handle, I'd think buying it would be much like buying
    > that Lamborghini (that I so love! <g>) for the daily 1-mile commute on
    > 35MPH surface streets. :)

    Hey, nothing wrong with that
    http://supercars.nm.ru/lamborghini_3h.jpg :)

    Perhaps I'll stick with my stock Nissan 2WD truck... ya know, for
    fuel economy sakes!
    --
    Slacker

    Slacker, Jul 27, 2004
  8. Slacker wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> PSP can use PSP accessories (I don't remember what they're called); it's
    >> a heck of a lot cheaper than PS. Unless you have professional needs
    >> that only PS can handle, I'd think buying it would be much like buying
    >> that Lamborghini (that I so love! <g>) for the daily 1-mile commute on
    >> 35MPH surface streets. :)

    > Hey, nothing wrong with that
    > http://supercars.nm.ru/lamborghini_3h.jpg :)

    Ain't it purty? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 27, 2004
  9. Slacker

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Slacker" <> wrote in message
    >| Toolman Tim wrote:
    >|
    >| > "Tim" <> wrote in message

    >| >>|

    >| > Can you blame them? Think what it must do to current sales levels
    >| > if they say, "Hey - buy our product. BTW, there's a new version
    >| > being released in 3 weeks, just so you can buy our product TWICE!
    >| > Isn't that great?"
    >| >
    >| > Seriously, though, it is quite common for companies to be a bit
    >| > closed-mouth about future releases for other reasons. For
    >| > instance, if they are adding neat new features that no one else
    >| > has thought of, why let the cat out of the bag?
    >|

    >| Good point, but someone in that company has to have loose lips ;-)

    Happens all too often, doesn't it <g>...heh heh...

    <snip>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2004