New Scary Virus MO3 Long

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mike, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    FYI.

    The World's Most Dangerous Virus

    Imagine if a computer virus emerged that secretly attached itself to
    one of the most popular software programs ever. Imagine if the largest
    media outlets unwittingly praised this secret pairing, encouraging
    millions of people to install it. Imagine if none of the major
    antivirus programs would detect it. Imagine if once installed, it
    could alter anything on your computer without your consent or
    knowledge. Imagine if the virus was at the control of a greedy entity
    that has repeatedly trampled on consumers and smaller companies to
    advance its corporate agenda. Imagine if it could force everyone who
    wanted to communicate with you to also carry the virus so it would
    insidiously spread person to person. Sound like a scary sci-fi plot?
    It's not science fiction. This week MO3 will be released on the world.
    Here's how to detect it in your neighborhood and what you can do to
    protect yourself:

    The Trojan Horse

    Press outlets will blanket the world with stories about Microsoft
    Office 2003. Most articles will tout seemingly innocuous features and
    feel good quotes from Microsoft like "this is our most important
    product release ever." Unfortunately the press won't talk about the
    dangerous software buried inside this release - MO3. This code will
    give Microsoft the ability to change anything on your computer at
    anytime they wish with no notification to you.

    The Security Ploy

    Post 9/11, few people question actions taken under the guise of
    "improved security" and this is how MO3 will be foisted onto computer
    users - as a feature to "make you safer." Computer users have
    understandably tired of the near daily worm and virus warnings, as
    well as the time-consuming patch process due to Microsoft's lax
    software standards and its focusing not on building secure products,
    but on products that secure its monopoly market positions. To improve
    the predicament which they've created, Microsoft is forcing consumers
    to accept MO3 embedded into every computer. Listen closely and you'll
    hear Microsoft mouth pieces speak of "turning software into a service"
    which really means they will be changing the software on your computer
    whenever they feel like it. They will slowly limit your ability to run
    non-Microsoft software. They will restrict choices on your computer to
    only those products they approve. They will make changes which cripple
    other software programs or reduce their ability to interoperate with
    your computer so you will be forced to use exclusively Microsoft
    approved products.

    History Repeats Itself

    Microsoft may use this newfound power to fix some holes in their
    software, but they will also abuse this power to further their
    corporate monopoly and increase their control and profits. Microsoft
    has already embedded the MO3 virus into another operating system they
    have deployed, called Xbox. They now have the power at anytime to
    change all existing Xboxes which connect to the Internet, and they are
    already misusing it. They have deleted files from users' computers
    without their knowledge or permission. They have added software which
    has removed the ability to run competitor's software. They have been
    changing users' systems without their consent and notification. They
    will do the same on Microsoft Windows-based computers once MO3 is
    installed.

    Microsoft management has been shown to be deceitful and dishonest and
    will continue this behavior. Twice Microsoft has been found guilty by
    the Federal government of using illegal tactics to drive competitors
    out of business and extend their monopoly, and unfortunately nothing
    has occured since then to make them change their practices.

    Infecting Friends

    To stop the advance of competing products and to force users into
    purchasing new software with the MO3 virus, Microsoft is making
    certain Microsoft Office 2003 files unreadable by all older versions
    of Microsoft Office and all competing office suites. Products like
    Sun's StarOffice are getting extremely good at interoperating with
    Microsoft word processing, presentation and spreadsheet files making
    it possible for people to spend closer to $50 for an office suite
    instead of giving $400 or more to Microsoft. To blunt this, and force
    users of older versions of Microsoft Office to buy new software,
    Microsoft has changed the specifications for some files.

    Again under the umbrella of "security," Microsoft is implementing
    features which limit who can open and edit documents to further thwart
    competition. Microsoft Office 2003 gives its users the ability to
    control who can read and edit certain documents, but only if they use
    the latest Microsoft software. If one user within an office uses this
    feature, all others will be unable to use any other office suite to
    access that document. They will not be permitted to run Linux
    software; they will be required to purchase and run additional copies
    of Microsoft Office 2003. Since documents are frequently emailed
    around via the Internet, this will force others to accept Microsoft's
    software or be unable to communicate. Microsoft refers to this as IRM
    for "information rights management," but it's really an "infection
    relay method" designed to force everyone to adopt MO3. They will be
    using scare tactics about leaked memos or misdirected emails to
    persuade unwitting computer users to deploy this technology. Doing so
    will create a viral growth of MO3 which will give MS unlimited power
    over every computer.

    Universal MO3

    MO3 will not only come with Microsoft Office 2003, but with future
    Microsoft products as well. The same technology will be embedded into
    the next version of Microsoft's operating system software so all users
    will have to accept it with their new computer. Latest estimates
    indicate this new software will not ship until 2006, so between now
    and then, watch for Microsoft to secretly embed MO3 into updates or
    security patches that they promote for their existing product line.

    Mike, Oct 22, 2003

  2. In article <>, Mike <> wrote:
    >FYI.
    >
    >The World's Most Dangerous Virus

    Is there any actual evidence for this ?

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Mike

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" wrote
    > >The World's Most Dangerous Virus

    > Is there any actual evidence for this ?

    Yes there is, it's right under his tinfoil hat...

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  4. Mike

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    Mike <> wrote:

    > FYI.
    >
    > The World's Most Dangerous Virus

    I think the domain in your email address sums up this post.

    --
    M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert

    Bruce Flyger, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Mike

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mike" wrote
    > This code will
    > give Microsoft the ability to change anything on your computer at
    > anytime they wish with no notification to you.

    If users do not read liciencing agreements, whose fault is that?

    > They now have the power at anytime to
    > change all existing Xboxes which connect to the Internet, and they are
    > already misusing it.

    T&Cs my friend, it is all there, if users dont read them, who's fault is
    that.

    > They have deleted files from users' computers
    > without their knowledge or permission.

    If users had not read and agreed to the T&C's in the box, then they
    shouldn't have turned them on.

    > They have added software which
    > has removed the ability to run competitor's software.

    Competitors who have not payed the liciencing costs to MS to allow the
    software to run on their hardware.

    > They have been
    > changing users' systems without their consent and notification.

    T&C's again my friend.

    > Microsoft management has been shown to be deceitful and dishonest and
    > will continue this behavior. Twice Microsoft has been found guilty by
    > the Federal government of using illegal tactics to drive competitors
    > out of business and extend their monopoly, and unfortunately nothing
    > has occured since then to make them change their practices.

    If they are being allowed to contiue these practises, then something should
    be done, obviously the govt are not doing their job.

    > They will not be permitted to run Linux
    > software

    Wrong, they can run Linux if they want, just that users will have to save
    them in the older format... same as for any other user in the office using
    "not the latest version" this is usually the practise for all software, not
    just MS software, how often does the old software open the new format?

    > they will be required to purchase and run additional copies
    > of Microsoft Office 2003.

    New user simply has to change the default save format.

    > Since documents are frequently emailed
    > around via the Internet, this will force others to accept Microsoft's
    > software or be unable to communicate.

    no they dont, ask for it in another format.

    > Microsoft refers to this as IRM
    > for "information rights management," but it's really an "infection
    > relay method" designed to force everyone to adopt MO3.

    That is one of the worst TLA changes I have seen... couldn't you think of
    anything better than that?

    > They will be
    > using scare tactics about leaked memos or misdirected emails to
    > persuade unwitting computer users to deploy this technology.

    This is a user intelligence issue.

    > MO3 will not only come with Microsoft Office 2003, but with future
    > Microsoft products as well.

    and shock horror, it says so in the licience agreement, that, they click I
    accept to if they accept, or not if they dont... a no-brainer there.

    > The same technology will be embedded into
    > the next version of Microsoft's operating system software so all users
    > will have to accept it with their new computer.

    Depends on the licience agreement, XP has a something backward agreement
    that lets you run NT, 2K or ME(from memory) so maybe the new one will to?

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  6. Mike

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Bruce Flyger" wrote
    > Mike <> wrote:
    > > The World's Most Dangerous Virus

    > I think the domain in your email address sums up this post.

    nice.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  7. In message <bn4i33$t0gs8$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O."
    <> wrote:

    >> They have added software which
    >> has removed the ability to run competitor's software.

    >Competitors who have not payed the liciencing costs to MS to allow the
    >software to run on their hardware.

    Pardon? Whose hardware? Mine, thank you very much, not Microsoft's.

    Stumpy.
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh Timaru, New Zealand
    <http://marsh.orcon.net.nz/>

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Oct 22, 2003
  8. Mike

    T.N.O. Guest

    "R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" wrote
    > >Competitors who have not payed the liciencing costs to MS to allow the
    > >software to run on their hardware.

    > Pardon? Whose hardware? Mine, thank you very much, not Microsoft's.

    Didn't read the licience agreement huh? might want to pull that out and have
    a good read.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  9. In message <bn4md9$t05g5$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O."
    <> wrote:

    >"R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" wrote
    >> >Competitors who have not payed the liciencing costs to MS to allow the
    >> >software to run on their hardware.

    >> Pardon? Whose hardware? Mine, thank you very much, not Microsoft's.

    >Didn't read the licience agreement huh? might want to pull that out and have
    >a good read.

    Which license agreement is that then? I've never accepted an agreement
    that handed ownership of my machine to anyone.

    Stumpy.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Oct 22, 2003
  10. Mike

    T.N.O. Guest

    "R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" wrote
    > Which license agreement is that then? I've never accepted an agreement
    > that handed ownership of my machine to anyone.

    the one that came in the box when you opened it, and said that you must read
    this before operation.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  11. Mike

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" <> wrote in message
    > In message <bn4md9$t05g5$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" wrote

    > >> Pardon? Whose hardware? Mine, thank you very much, not Microsoft's.

    > >Didn't read the licience agreement huh? might want to pull that out and

    have
    > >a good read.

    > Which license agreement is that then? I've never accepted an agreement
    > that handed ownership of my machine to anyone.

    Are you sure. Have you read and understood every word of every EULA for any
    MS software you've installed?

    ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 22, 2003
  12. "Mike" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > relay method" designed to force everyone to adopt MO3. They will be
    > using scare tactics about leaked memos or misdirected emails to
    > persuade unwitting computer users to deploy this technology. Doing so
    > will create a viral growth of MO3 which will give MS unlimited power
    > over every computer.
    >
    > Universal MO3
    >
    > MO3 will not only come with Microsoft Office 2003, but with future
    > Microsoft products as well. The same technology will be embedded into
    > the next version of Microsoft's operating system software so all users
    > will have to accept it with their new computer. Latest estimates
    > indicate this new software will not ship until 2006, so between now
    > and then, watch for Microsoft to secretly embed MO3 into updates or
    > security patches that they promote for their existing product line.

    I detect acute X-Files overdose :)

    --

    Our legal people have asked me to tell you that this posting is provided "AS
    IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. I'm pretty sure it also

    Brett Roberts, Oct 22, 2003
  13. Mike

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:22:06 +1300, "Brett Roberts"
    <> wrote:

    <Snip Rave>

    >I detect acute X-Files overdose :)

    So, you are the smoking man :)

    Bret, Oct 22, 2003
  14. "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:22:06 +1300, "Brett Roberts"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <Snip Rave>
    > >
    > >I detect acute X-Files overdose :)

    > So, you are the smoking man :)

    no, I am the Smirking Man. See.... ;-)

    Brett Roberts, Oct 22, 2003
  15. In message <bn4paq$shsjs$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O."
    <> wrote:

    >"R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" wrote
    >> Which license agreement is that then? I've never accepted an agreement
    >> that handed ownership of my machine to anyone.

    >the one that came in the box when you opened it, and said that you must read
    >this before operation.

    Which box is that then? Office '03? I haven't opened it yet.

    Stumpy.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Oct 22, 2003
  16. Mike

    T.N.O. Guest

    "R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" wrote
    > >> Which license agreement is that then? I've never accepted an agreement
    > >> that handed ownership of my machine to anyone.

    > >the one that came in the box when you opened it, and said that you must

    read
    > >this before operation.

    > Which box is that then? Office '03? I haven't opened it yet.

    The Xbox box :)
    sorry, we might have gone a little off topic.
    It appears that when you snipped my post initially, you've snipped off the
    bit about the Xbox... and when I look at my initial post, it got kinda wafty
    towards that bit anyway.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  17. In message <3f961cef$>, "T.N.O." <>
    wrote:

    >"R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" wrote

    >> >the one that came in the box when you opened it, and said that you must

    >read
    >> >this before operation.

    >> Which box is that then? Office '03? I haven't opened it yet.

    >The Xbox box :)
    >sorry, we might have gone a little off topic.
    >It appears that when you snipped my post initially, you've snipped off the
    >bit about the Xbox... and when I look at my initial post, it got kinda wafty
    >towards that bit anyway.

    Ah! Don't have one of those. I thought you were talking about REAL
    computers. ;-b

    Stumpy.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Oct 22, 2003
  18. Mike

    T.N.O. Guest

    "R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" wrote
    > Ah! Don't have one of those. I thought you were talking about REAL
    > computers. ;-b

    usenet crazyness... sorry about that, heh, all caused through sniping

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  19. On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:12:12 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" wrote
    >> Which license agreement is that then? I've never accepted an agreement
    >> that handed ownership of my machine to anyone.

    > the one that came in the box when you opened it, and said that you must read
    > this before operation.

    IIRC shrinkwrap licenses have been ruled invalid in NZ on multiple occasions.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 22, 2003
  20. Mike

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
    > > the one that came in the box when you opened it, and said that you must

    read
    > > this before operation.

    > IIRC shrinkwrap licenses have been ruled invalid in NZ on multiple

    occasions.

    errr, really, got any links on it? I googles but couldnt find anything
    relevant.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003