    Max 200$

    Michael, Denmark

    , Sep 28, 2007

  2. On 2007-09-28 08:45:29 -0700, "" <> said:

    > Hey
    >
    > I need a new scanner. I have alot of old pictures I want to make
    > digital.
    >
    > I have found 3 Canon.
    > CanoScan 8600F, CanoScan LiDE 600F or 4400F.
    >
    > I dont have alot of money to spend, but I don´t want to buy a bad
    > one...
    >
    > I wanted to buy 4400F but that does not have FARE Level 3..... Do I
    > really need that?
    >
    > Max 200$
    >
    > Michael, Denmark

    I've been using the Canoscan 9950F for about a year, and I like the
    results. If you'd like to look at my website, all the pictures which
    were shot on film (usually Kodachromes; the text will say whether it's
    film or digital capture) were scanned on this machine.
    --
    web.mac.com/olddognewtrick

    sheepdog 2007, Sep 28, 2007

  3. ray Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:45:29 -0700, wrote:

    > Hey
    >
    > I need a new scanner. I have alot of old pictures I want to make
    > digital.
    >
    > I have found 3 Canon.
    > CanoScan 8600F, CanoScan LiDE 600F or 4400F.
    >
    > I dont have alot of money to spend, but I don´t want to buy a bad
    > one...
    >
    > I wanted to buy 4400F but that does not have FARE Level 3..... Do I
    > really need that?
    >
    > Max 200$
    >
    > Michael, Denmark

    FWIW - I've had excellent results with refurb stuff from the Epson online
    store.

    ray, Sep 28, 2007
  4. AAvK Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hey
    >
    > I need a new scanner. I have alot of old pictures I want to make
    > digital.
    >
    > I have found 3 Canon.
    > CanoScan 8600F, CanoScan LiDE 600F or 4400F.
    >
    > I dont have alot of money to spend, but I don´t want to buy a bad
    > one...
    >
    > I wanted to buy 4400F but that does not have FARE Level 3..... Do I
    > really need that?
    >
    > Max 200$
    >
    > Michael, Denmark

    Aside from other mentionings, I suggest, is the factor of Dmax ratings of any given
    scanner's capability. I have read that the densest (darkest) film can become is 3.9 so
    find a machine that has such a rating or 4.0 or the like.

    Mine is a Minolta "Dimage" scan dual III which does the trick quite well, plus 16/48
    bit color depth. The scan dual IV (4) has a Dmax rating that is smaller, or less, like
    3.6. The higher that number, the more and better shadow detail can be attained from
    darker exposures.

    But these two machines I have mentioned are for 35mm and APS films only.

    For 120 film I use a Umax Powerlook III flatbed with a TMA (transparent media
    adapter LOL) which is a really major light lid with it's own robotics for the moving
    lamp. This scanner's Dmax is 3.4 and color depth of 14/42... but it works fine
    because of the large area of those sizes of film frame, another cosideration.

    Somehow it just happens to happen that way. But it is far more important for the
    smaller films to have a scanner with a high as possible Dmax rating.

    And tell your Danish handplane making companies to PLEASE start marketing to the
    Americas!

    --
    Giant_Alex
    not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/