new scam

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by klunk, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. klunk

    klunk Guest

    I've just received the following email by

    Subject: Lottery Award

    MR. JOHN SMITH

    SWISS UNION INTERNATIONAL

    GENEVA, SWITZERLAND.

    REF NUMBER: SUL/653/029/03

    BATCH NUMBER: AT-040-SB06-03

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    We are pleased to inform you that as a result of our recent lottery draws
    held on the 7th of June 2004. Your e-mail address attached to ticket number
    27522465896-532 with serial number 652-662 drew lucky numbers
    7-14-18-23-31-45, which consequently won in the 2nd category. You have
    therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of 4,000,000 (Euros) (Four
    Million Euros only)

    Note that all participants in this lottery program have been selected
    randomly through a computer ballot system drawn from over 20,000 companies
    and 30,000,000 individual email addresses from all search engines and web
    sites. This promotional program takes place every year, and is promoted and
    sponsored by eminent personalities like the Sultan of Brunei, bill gates of
    Microsoft Inc and other corporate organizations. This is to encourage the
    use of the Internet and computers worldwide.

    For security purpose and clarity, we advise that you keep your winning
    information confidential until your claims have been processed and your
    money remitted to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double
    claims and unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants. We look
    forward to your active participation in our next year USD50 million slot.

    You are requested to contact our Lottery coordinator below to assist you
    with your winnings and subsequent payments. All winnings must be claimed not
    later than one month after the date of this notice. Please note, in order to
    avoid unnecessary delays and complications, remember

    to quote your reference number and batch numbers in all correspondence.

    Furthermore, should there be any change of address do inform our agent as
    soon as possible. Congratulations once more and thank you for being part of
    our promotional program.

    NOTE: YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED IF YOU ARE BELOW 18 YEARS OF AGE.

    Sincerely yours,

    MR. JOHN SMITH.

    (LOTTERY COORDINATOR)
    klunk, Jun 9, 2004

  2. klunk

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 05:22:59 GMT, "klunk" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    its not exactly new, its just a variation on the advance fee fraud

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 9, 2004

  3. klunk

    johns Guest

    Sue AOL. They have lots of money. Ask a lawyer
    somewhere if they are hungry enough to start collecting
    this sort of scam coming from AOL users, and file
    a suit against them ... all of them.

    johns
    johns, Jun 9, 2004