New Sandisk CF not compatable with older Sandisk USB readers (SDDR-75)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Colin, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Hi,
    I've been merrily using my Sandisk card reader (SDDR-75) to download
    photos from my 256 mb simpletech compact flash card, with no problems.
    I find a good deal on a 512 Sandisk Compact flash card, and buy it.
    The first (and every) time I try to download the contents of the card,
    it fails part way through, and sometimes ruins the images on the card.
    Ok. Now I am mad.

    I called Sandisk. Four times. Their response? "Well, you know
    technology. Yesterdays best is tomorrows ..." and "I guess you will
    need to buy a new card reader." Ok. Now I am mad and really
    frustrated.

    I pressed for more information. Why is the compact flash card not
    compatable with the compact flash reader? "Well, your card reader is
    not compatable (it is Aug 2003 vintage) with the improvements to the
    chips in the newer CF cards." Why is it corrupting the data? "Well,
    yes, that can happen."

    The big question. "What are you going to do to fix this?" Simply, they
    refused to do a thing because the reader is over 1 year old. Have the
    standards for compact flash communication changed? It is just a basic
    512 card. After speaking to a different customer support person, and
    their supervisor, the best they'd do is a 30% discount off purchases
    on their website. I'm not going to buy from them. (Anyone want a
    coupon code?)

    So to end my frustrated post: I borrowed my brothers even older card
    reader, and it works fine. But, does anyone know why my Sandisk reader
    would not work?
    Thanks for reading (I'm off to return the Sandisk card now.)
    Colin

    Colin, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Colin

    Mark² Guest

    "Colin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've been merrily using my Sandisk card reader (SDDR-75) to download
    > photos from my 256 mb simpletech compact flash card, with no problems.
    > I find a good deal on a 512 Sandisk Compact flash card, and buy it.
    > The first (and every) time I try to download the contents of the card,
    > it fails part way through, and sometimes ruins the images on the card.
    > Ok. Now I am mad.
    >
    > I called Sandisk. Four times. Their response? "Well, you know
    > technology. Yesterdays best is tomorrows ..." and "I guess you will
    > need to buy a new card reader." Ok. Now I am mad and really
    > frustrated.
    >
    > I pressed for more information. Why is the compact flash card not
    > compatable with the compact flash reader? "Well, your card reader is
    > not compatable (it is Aug 2003 vintage) with the improvements to the
    > chips in the newer CF cards." Why is it corrupting the data? "Well,
    > yes, that can happen."
    >
    > The big question. "What are you going to do to fix this?" Simply, they
    > refused to do a thing because the reader is over 1 year old. Have the
    > standards for compact flash communication changed? It is just a basic
    > 512 card. After speaking to a different customer support person, and
    > their supervisor, the best they'd do is a 30% discount off purchases
    > on their website. I'm not going to buy from them. (Anyone want a
    > coupon code?)
    >
    > So to end my frustrated post: I borrowed my brothers even older card
    > reader, and it works fine. But, does anyone know why my Sandisk reader
    > would not work?
    > Thanks for reading (I'm off to return the Sandisk card now.)
    > Colin

    I think it's possible that the person you spoke with was full of
    you-know-what.
    That it wouldn't be compatible that makes no sense at all. If that were
    true (and I am convinced it is NOT true), then their cards would be
    similarly at risk of failing in any camera or device that is older as well.
    They just couldn't do this and survive.

    I'd be willing to bet it's something OTHER than what he/you indicate.

    Mark², Dec 22, 2004

  3. Colin

    Mike Guest

    The SDDR-75 was released in August 2002, not 2003. But yes,
    there is a known incompatibility with this unit and newer CF cards.
    Most likely it has something to do with FAT32 support (cards
    larger than 2GB). Reviews at Amazon list complaints from other
    customers who're having the exact same problem.

    According to at least one review, Sandisk told them "There is a
    known compatibility issue with the SDDR-75 and the newer CF
    cards. We can provide an exchange for an SDDR-91 (USB 2.0
    CompactFlash reader)."

    You might try escalating your complaint past this clueless CS
    supervisor, and copy the Amazon review to him/her.

    Mike, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Colin

    Mark² Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > The SDDR-75 was released in August 2002, not 2003. But yes,
    > there is a known incompatibility with this unit and newer CF cards.
    > Most likely it has something to do with FAT32 support (cards
    > larger than 2GB). Reviews at Amazon list complaints from other
    > customers who're having the exact same problem.
    >
    > According to at least one review, Sandisk told them "There is a
    > known compatibility issue with the SDDR-75 and the newer CF
    > cards. We can provide an exchange for an SDDR-91 (USB 2.0
    > CompactFlash reader)."
    >
    > You might try escalating your complaint past this clueless CS
    > supervisor, and copy the Amazon review to him/her.

    Wow. Now that's weird.
    Clearly it's not a card issue, but rather a reader issue though, which would
    make more sense...but still very weird.

    Mark², Dec 22, 2004
  5. Colin

    Arnold Guest

    We had the same problem (2 readers). The Sandisk importer send us two new
    readers for free.

    Arnold, Dec 22, 2004
  6. Colin

    tomcas Guest

    Re: New Sandisk CF not compatable with older Sandisk USB readers(SDDR-75)

    Colin wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've been merrily using my Sandisk card reader (SDDR-75) to download
    > photos from my 256 mb simpletech compact flash card, with no problems.
    > I find a good deal on a 512 Sandisk Compact flash card, and buy it.
    > The first (and every) time I try to download the contents of the card,
    > it fails part way through, and sometimes ruins the images on the card.
    > Ok. Now I am mad.
    >
    > I called Sandisk. Four times. Their response? "Well, you know
    > technology. Yesterdays best is tomorrows ..." and "I guess you will
    > need to buy a new card reader." Ok. Now I am mad and really
    > frustrated.
    >
    > I pressed for more information. Why is the compact flash card not
    > compatable with the compact flash reader? "Well, your card reader is
    > not compatable (it is Aug 2003 vintage) with the improvements to the
    > chips in the newer CF cards." Why is it corrupting the data? "Well,
    > yes, that can happen."
    >
    > The big question. "What are you going to do to fix this?" Simply, they
    > refused to do a thing because the reader is over 1 year old. Have the
    > standards for compact flash communication changed? It is just a basic
    > 512 card. After speaking to a different customer support person, and
    > their supervisor, the best they'd do is a 30% discount off purchases
    > on their website. I'm not going to buy from them. (Anyone want a
    > coupon code?)
    >
    > So to end my frustrated post: I borrowed my brothers even older card
    > reader, and it works fine. But, does anyone know why my Sandisk reader
    > would not work?
    > Thanks for reading (I'm off to return the Sandisk card now.)
    > Colin

    Have you verified the reader still works on the older card? Some times a
    pin will get bent without being obvious. If you need new reader
    OfficeMax usually has the Digital Concepts (Sakar) reader free after
    rebate at least a couple of times a month lately. I have a few of these
    readers and they work fine on older Sandisk and also on newer 80x Lexar.
    I you are going to pop for a new reader I'd suggest a firewire reader
    like the one from Lexar.

    tomcas, Dec 22, 2004
  7. Colin

    Guest

    Thank you everyone for your replies.
    - It likely is something other than what he or I have indicated. But I
    promise - I'm not trying to pull a fast one. I just want to take
    photos!
    - Thanks for letting me know when the reader was released. I bought it
    in Aug 2003. Sorry for the confusion.
    - I have been using it with a Simpletech 256 CF card since Aug 2003
    with no trouble. The Sandisk 512 CF is giving me the trouble.
    - Yep, reader still works with my older card. And both cards work in my
    camera and my brothers Simpletech reader.

    , Dec 22, 2004
  8. Colin

    wrote:
    > Thank you everyone for your replies.
    > - It likely is something other than what he or I have indicated. But I
    > promise - I'm not trying to pull a fast one. I just want to take
    > photos!
    > - Thanks for letting me know when the reader was released. I bought it
    > in Aug 2003. Sorry for the confusion.
    > - I have been using it with a Simpletech 256 CF card since Aug 2003
    > with no trouble. The Sandisk 512 CF is giving me the trouble.
    > - Yep, reader still works with my older card. And both cards work in my
    > camera and my brothers Simpletech reader.

    OfficeMax has the Dazzle card reader (never tried it) for $5 with free
    shipping.

    http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000007897372

    tomcas, Dec 23, 2004
  9. "Mike" <> writes:

    >According to at least one review, Sandisk told them "There is a
    >known compatibility issue with the SDDR-75 and the newer CF
    >cards. We can provide an exchange for an SDDR-91 (USB 2.0
    >CompactFlash reader)."

    Sandisk does seem to have more compatibility problems than other
    manufacturers. I have a SDDR-86 "6 in 1" USB2 reader that won't read
    one particular CF card (a noname, not Sandisk). The card works fine in
    4 cameras, 3 other USB card readers, and a PCMCIA adapter, but it won't
    work with the SDDR-86. At the time I bought it, several other people
    reported the same problem with it. Sandisk support supplied new
    firmware, which also didn't work but at least failed without requiring a
    reboot. No further help has been forthcoming. Sandisk did not offer to
    upgrade it to a different model (but the SDDR-86 was a new model at the
    time).

    My solution: buy some other brand in future.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 25, 2004