    resolution of 1280x1024. There is no option on the monitor's menu to
    manually adjust the resolution. How do I force the monitor to recognize
    the resolution to which I have the video card set?

    Another, Feb 17, 2009

  2. Another

    Guest

    Another <.> wrote:

    >Using Windows XP SP3
    >GeForce FX 5200
    >Samsung Syncmaster 2233SW
    >Monitor connected via DVI connection
    >
    >I just got a new Samsung monitor for which the optimum resolution is
    >1920x1080 at 60 Hertz. I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver for my
    >video card; this driver has 1920x1080 as an available resolution. When
    >I select this resolution, the task bar is placed below the viewable area
    >on the screen. Using the Info option on the monitor's built in menu, I
    >can see that the monitor still thinks that it is being driven at a
    >resolution of 1280x1024. There is no option on the monitor's menu to
    >manually adjust the resolution. How do I force the monitor to recognize
    >the resolution to which I have the video card set?

    You need to purchase a video card that can handle that resolution.

    GeForce FX 5200: "A full 128MB of 64-bit double-pumping DDR SDRAM
    memory delivers cutting edge graphics at a full 2048x1536 resolution "
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130188

    Your old one can't, check out www.newegg.com they usually have bundles
    on sale (video cards and higher rated power supplies).

    --

    A Computer Repair Utility Kit You Can Run From a Thumb Drive
    http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-utility-kit/

    , Feb 17, 2009

  3. Another

    Another Guest

    > You need to purchase a video card that can handle that resolution.
    >
    > GeForce FX 5200: "A full 128MB of 64-bit double-pumping DDR SDRAM
    > memory delivers cutting edge graphics at a full 2048x1536 resolution "
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130188
    >
    > Your old one can't, check out www.newegg.com they usually have bundles
    > on sale (video cards and higher rated power supplies).

    I though that might be the problem, but the Nvidia driver makes it look
    like that resolution is available and valid for my graphics card.
    Thanks for the input.

    Another, Feb 17, 2009
  4. Another

    Another Guest

    > did you uninstall the old video driver first?

    I have NVidia cards on several machine, and the newer drivers have
    always successfully replaced the older drivers when upgrading.

    Another, Feb 17, 2009
  5. Another

    Guest

    Another <.> wrote:

    >> You need to purchase a video card that can handle that resolution.

    >> GeForce FX 5200: "A full 128MB of 64-bit double-pumping DDR SDRAM
    >> memory delivers cutting edge graphics at a full 2048x1536 resolution "
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130188

    >> Your old one can't, check out www.newegg.com they usually have bundles
    >> on sale (video cards and higher rated power supplies).

    >I though that might be the problem, but the Nvidia driver makes it look
    >like that resolution is available and valid for my graphics card.
    >Thanks for the input.

    My bad I read your post wrong, your want
    1920x1080 at 60 Hertz. your card can handle that.

    I just glanced and read 1024x ---
    --

    A Computer Repair Utility Kit You Can Run From a Thumb Drive
    http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-utility-kit/

    , Feb 17, 2009
  6. Another

    Another Guest

    wrote:
    > Another <.> wrote:
    >

    >>> You need to purchase a video card that can handle that resolution.

    >>> GeForce FX 5200: "A full 128MB of 64-bit double-pumping DDR SDRAM
    >>> memory delivers cutting edge graphics at a full 2048x1536 resolution "
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130188

    >>> Your old one can't, check out www.newegg.com they usually have bundles
    >>> on sale (video cards and higher rated power supplies).

    >> I though that might be the problem, but the Nvidia driver makes it look
    >> like that resolution is available and valid for my graphics card.
    >> Thanks for the input.

    > My bad I read your post wrong, your want
    > 1920x1080 at 60 Hertz. your card can handle that.
    >
    > I just glanced and read 1024x ---

    Talked to Samsung's tech support. The monitor will not recognize any
    resolution above 1280x1024 even though the driver support several up to
    1920x1080. It appears I have a defective monitor.

    Another, Feb 18, 2009