    Assistant Director, International Digital Art Award
    Writer and educator in graphic design, photography, digital technology
    Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

    wayne, Jan 23, 2006

  2. wayne

    bmoag Guest

    A Pentax by any other name . . .
    Do you suppose Samsung manufactures the Pentax itself?
    Samsung has manufactured cameras for other brand names in the past, for
    example my now ancient Rollei Prego P&S.

    bmoag, Jan 24, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    wayne <> wrote:

    > Samsung have announced there first dSLR, the GX-1S. Looks interesting
    > but not earth-shattering, but is a sign of their intentions in the
    > market. Article below:

    It's spelled "their," but either way - if it says Samsung on the label
    you know it's gotta suck.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jan 24, 2006
  4. wayne

    Mark² Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wayne <> wrote:
    >
    >> Samsung have announced there first dSLR, the GX-1S. Looks interesting
    >> but not earth-shattering, but is a sign of their intentions in the
    >> market. Article below:

    > It's spelled "their," but either way - if it says Samsung on the label
    > you know it's gotta suck.

    I don't know about that specific camera (or Samsung cameras in general), but
    I do believe that Samsung is going to be a major electronics powerhouse that
    will rival Sony and other giants in the near future.

    Mark², Jan 24, 2006
  5. wayne

    rafe b Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:16:40 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >I don't know about that specific camera (or Samsung cameras in general), but
    >I do believe that Samsung is going to be a major electronics powerhouse that
    >will rival Sony and other giants in the near future.

    They already are. I've dealt with them as
    clients in my current employment and the
    job prior.

    Samsung is second only to Intel in global
    revenues from semiconductor production.

    They are the world's leading supplier of
    DRAM chips.

    And of course, Samsung makes a lot more
    than just semiconductors.

    Eg., an article in EE Times on 1/19/06
    reveals how Samsung has just slipped
    to being the #2 global supplier of large
    TFT LCDs. (Another South Korean
    company beat them for the top slot.)

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Jan 24, 2006
  6. wayne

    Mark² Guest

    rafe b wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:16:40 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >

    >> I don't know about that specific camera (or Samsung cameras in
    >> general), but I do believe that Samsung is going to be a major
    >> electronics powerhouse that will rival Sony and other giants in the
    >> near future.

    > They already are. I've dealt with them as
    > clients in my current employment and the
    > job prior.
    >
    > Samsung is second only to Intel in global
    > revenues from semiconductor production.
    >
    > They are the world's leading supplier of
    > DRAM chips.
    >
    > And of course, Samsung makes a lot more
    > than just semiconductors.
    >
    > Eg., an article in EE Times on 1/19/06
    > reveals how Samsung has just slipped
    > to being the #2 global supplier of large
    > TFT LCDs. (Another South Korean
    > company beat them for the top slot.)

    I understand the aspects you mention.
    What I'm referring to are the areas of the electronics market that still
    come to people's mind...first...in the names of Sony, and other brands.
    -Areas such as Television, video, music, etc.
    Admittedly, I'm thinking rather ethnocentrically, as I'm talking about the
    US market.
    Here in the US, while people may buy Samsung cell phones and memory chips,
    the Samsung name hasn't become a major marketing factor, and isn't the first
    (or even second or third) name people think of when they go hunting for
    their next TV, stereo, video camera, etc.

    This last part is what I think is going to change.
    I don't think it will be long before people begin actively looking for the
    Samsung brand.

    Mark², Jan 24, 2006
  7. wayne

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:58:05 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > Here in the US, while people may buy Samsung cell phones and memory
    > chips, the Samsung name hasn't become a major marketing factor, and
    > isn't the first (or even second or third) name people think of when they
    > go hunting for their next TV, stereo, video camera, etc.
    >
    > This last part is what I think is going to change.
    > I don't think it will be long before people begin actively looking for the
    > Samsung brand.

    Just going by this newsgroup, many people are already looking for
    the Samsung brand when it comes to selecting LCD monitors.

    ASAAR, Jan 24, 2006
  8. wayne

    wayne Guest

    Samsung is a strong company and not one to be underestimated. That they
    have entered the dSLR market with an also ran camera (by the looks of
    it) is not a real issue, the fact that they have entered and will
    likely bring there manufacturing skill to bear is an issue.

    Samsung is already one of the preferred choices by many people for LCD
    monitors and many other things. There TVs are strong too in many
    markets.

    So with Minolta gone, Sony not yet entered the dSLR market (with
    Minolta intellectual property) and Pentax a co-player with Samsung,
    life looks interesting.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    Wayne J. Cosshall

    wayne, Jan 24, 2006
  9. wayne

    Skip M Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > wayne <> wrote:
    >
    >> Samsung have announced there first dSLR, the GX-1S. Looks interesting
    >> but not earth-shattering, but is a sign of their intentions in the
    >> market. Article below:

    > It's spelled "their," but either way - if it says Samsung on the label
    > you know it's gotta suck.

    Randall, what is it with you and any brand but Canon? Samsung makes some
    pretty good stuff, but in this case, if it's a relabeled Pentax, why would
    it be worse than the Pentax branded camera, just because it says, "Samsung?"

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jan 24, 2006
  10. In article <cIpBf.12477$sA3.11076@fed1read02>, Skip M
    <> wrote:

    > Randall, what is it with you and any brand but Canon? Samsung makes some
    > pretty good stuff, but in this case, if it's a relabeled Pentax, why would
    > it be worse than the Pentax branded camera, just because it says, "Samsung?"

    Where did I say that Canon was the only brand to buy?

    And I've yet to see anything with the Samsung brand that I would spend
    my money on. I put them in the same class as Goldstar.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jan 24, 2006
  11. wayne

    Mark² Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <cIpBf.12477$sA3.11076@fed1read02>, Skip M
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Randall, what is it with you and any brand but Canon? Samsung makes
    >> some pretty good stuff, but in this case, if it's a relabeled
    >> Pentax, why would it be worse than the Pentax branded camera, just
    >> because it says, "Samsung?"

    > Where did I say that Canon was the only brand to buy?
    >
    > And I've yet to see anything with the Samsung brand that I would spend
    > my money on. I put them in the same class as Goldstar.

    For now...

    Mark², Jan 24, 2006
  12. wayne

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > And I've yet to see anything with the Samsung brand that I would spend
    > my money on. I put them in the same class as Goldstar.

    I've been running a Samsung SyncMaster 753DF 17" monitor for
    almost four years and I still find it to be a superb piece of
    technology, high quality in every respect. Also have an earlier
    Samsung 15". No complaints there, either.
    Maybe it's time to re-examine your prejudices.

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Jan 24, 2006
  13. wayne

    rafe b Guest

    "Ronald Hands" <""rhandsNOSPAM\"@mountaincable DOT net"> wrote in message
    > Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >

    >> And I've yet to see anything with the Samsung brand that I would spend
    >> my money on. I put them in the same class as Goldstar.

    > I've been running a Samsung SyncMaster 753DF 17" monitor for almost four
    > years and I still find it to be a superb piece of technology, high quality
    > in every respect. Also have an earlier Samsung 15". No complaints there,
    > either.
    > Maybe it's time to re-examine your prejudices.

    Randy doesn't do "re-examination." Randy is
    what killfiles are made for.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Jan 24, 2006
  14. wayne

    Rich Guest

    On 23 Jan 2006 14:05:52 -0800, "wayne" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Samsung have announced there first dSLR, the GX-1S. Looks interesting
    >but not earth-shattering, but is a sign of their intentions in the
    >market. Article below:
    ><http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=411>
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Wayne
    >
    >Wayne J. Cosshall
    >Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    >Assistant Director, International Digital Art Award
    >Writer and educator in graphic design, photography, digital technology
    >Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

    The new "Pensung" or "Samtax."
    -Rich

    Rich, Jan 24, 2006
  15. wayne

    Rich Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:51:25 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <cIpBf.12477$sA3.11076@fed1read02>, Skip M
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Randall, what is it with you and any brand but Canon? Samsung makes some
    >> pretty good stuff, but in this case, if it's a relabeled Pentax, why would
    >> it be worse than the Pentax branded camera, just because it says, "Samsung?"

    >Where did I say that Canon was the only brand to buy?
    >
    >And I've yet to see anything with the Samsung brand that I would spend
    >my money on. I put them in the same class as Goldstar.

    Some of their Synchmaster montors are as good as overpriced Sonys,
    which in-part explains why Sony is taking such a beating nowadays.
    -Rich

    Rich, Jan 24, 2006