New Router/Switch Advice

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by mp, Jan 23, 2007.

  1. mp

    mp Guest

    Hi,

    I'm planning to buy a new router and switch for my employer and I need
    a little friendly advice from some more experienced cisco users. The
    data/application is web pages only and nominal page-request performance
    criteria so my data needs are pretty simple, but my uptime requirements
    are extremely high. Failover is the watchword of the day so I'll be
    buying two and attempting to create a failover system to eliminate
    downtime.

    The router/switch will have redundant t1's (separate providers..) from
    our colo provider and I'm planning policy based routing in case one of
    the connections goes down, the enduser can switch to the other ip
    address for service.

    We are running out of ports on our current switch so we need to add one
    (+1 failover) of those too.

    Cisco has a 2811 router that appears to have a switch built-in. Or at
    least an add-on. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5881/index.html.
    I'm concerned that if one part of the router+switch fails, I'm
    really out on a limb in terms of getting the network back up.

    Cisco also has a switch with policy based routing built-in. (Catalyst
    3560 with EMI)
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/index.html.
    This might do the job if I run the new lines through our existing
    router infrastructure. But I don't have any experience with this kind
    of product and I doubt a cisco rep would lead me to a straight answer.

    Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

    mp, Jan 23, 2007

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Jan 23, 2007