    installed their own system would they be more likely
    to have better overall knowledge and know these emails
    were virus/worms?
    Keith, Sep 18, 2003

  2. In <3f6a1693$> Keith wrote:

    > Opened my email this morning to find three emails
    > from "Microsoft" with "critical update" attachments
    > (as well as three other spams) in my Inbox. The ClearNet
    > spam/virus service had put 20 odd spams into the Spam
    > inbox.

    Same here. Last night I got several emails with ~100KB attachments that
    weren't picked up by the ihug spam filter. Their filter must have been
    updated fairly quickly since later ones arrived minus the attachments. I
    got home tonight and checked my email. There were over 560 messages
    waiting.

    Let me repeat that. *There were over 560 messages waiting for me*, of
    which about 5 were real, 15 were junk mail and the rest were viruses.

    Perhaps it's time for a new tax? Every time a new virus is created which
    can infect the default install of an operating system, the price of the
    OS goes up by one dollar. This would soon discourage people from buying
    Windows (unless they were _very_ wealthy) and encourage Microsoft to
    make it, um, less sieve-like.

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Keith

    Julian Visch Guest

    Keith wrote:

    > Opened my email this morning to find three emails
    > from "Microsoft" with "critical update" attachments
    > (as well as three other spams) in my Inbox. The ClearNet
    > spam/virus service had put 20 odd spams into the Spam
    > inbox.

    Only three, I had 8.
    Julian Visch, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Keith

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Keith" wrote
    > I opened my mouth too soon. Its around 60 now, others have reported 500
    > or more elsewhere!!!

    I have 12... the headers all suggest that they have come from .nl
    T.N.O., Sep 19, 2003
  5. Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > Perhaps it's time for a new tax? Every time a new virus is created which
    > can infect the default install of an operating system, the price of the
    > OS goes up by one dollar. This would soon discourage people from buying
    > Windows (unless they were _very_ wealthy) and encourage Microsoft to
    > make it, um, less sieve-like.

    Tax the tard that opened it, not the vendor.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Sep 19, 2003
  6. Keith

    Julian Visch Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Keith" wrote
    >
    >>I opened my mouth too soon. Its around 60 now, others have reported 500
    >>or more elsewhere!!!
    >>

    > I have 12... the headers all suggest that they have come from .nl

    The Netherlands.
    Julian Visch, Sep 19, 2003
  7. On 19 Sep 2003 , Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote :

    > Keith wrote:
    >
    >> Opened my email this morning to find three emails
    >> from "Microsoft" with "critical update" attachments
    >> (as well as three other spams) in my Inbox. The ClearNet
    >> spam/virus service had put 20 odd spams into the Spam
    >> inbox.
    >>
    >> This has caused me to ponder the dangers of a supplied
    >> virus/spam service. Many punters, thinking they were
    >> "protected" might assume these messages were genuine.
    >> On the other hand, if the user had been proactive and
    >> installed their own system would they be more likely
    >> to have better overall knowledge and know these emails
    >> were virus/worms?

    > only 3? i think its about 300 for me today alone. mozilla is picking
    > them as junk which makes it easier to sort...

    365 here in the last 24 hours, including 90 false bounce messages.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - A big enough hammer fixes anything
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Keith

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Julian Visch" wrote
    > > I have 12... the headers all suggest that they have come from .nl

    > The Netherlands.

    Im not stupid, just lazy... I couldn't be bothered typing the whole word...
    T.N.O., Sep 19, 2003