New Releases: Sylvia, More Criterion, X-Files 7 Seasons: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & i

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by news.verizon.net, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Real life mother and daughter, Blythe Danner, and Gwyneth Paltrow, appear in
    the bio-pic of Sylvia Plath. Focus is set to release the film on February
    10th with Dolby 5.1 audio and anamorphic 2.35:1 video. Retail price is given
    as $26.98.

    Universal has Intolerable Cruelty staring George Clooney, Catherine
    Zeta-Jones and Billy Bob Thornton set for release on February 10th. They
    have both a P&S version as well as an anamorphic video release set. Both
    will feature both Dolby 5.1 and DTS soundtracks. Rertail price was given as
    $26.98.

    March 30th will bring from Warner Brothers; Going In Style, Late Show
    (1977), Prisoner Of Second Avenue and Sunshine Boys (1975). All are listed
    as Dolby mono audio and anamorphic video and will retail for $19.98 each.

    Fox has a blitz of older titles set for a February 3rd release. Most look to
    be widescreen but the official announcement of whether they are anamorphic
    has not been received yet. Several titles where recently discontinued from
    Columbia/TriStar. Most retail for either $14.98 or $9.98. Included are;
    Agent Red, Black Widow, Crimes Of The Heart, Down Periscope, Dying Young,
    Good Son, It's The Rage, Judgment In Berlin, Mach 2, Nell, Proximity, Raw
    Deal, Road Rage, Vanishing Point and Zebra Lounge.

    Fox has some family faire due out on March 16th including Belles On Their
    Toes, Cheaper By The Dozen '50, Easter Storykeepers, Strawberry Shortcake:
    Meet Strawberry Shortcake / Spring For Strawberry Shortcake (2-Pack) and
    Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines (documentary).

    On February 24th Alpha Video has some older flicks retailing for $14.98
    including Aerial Gunner, I Accuse My Parents, Invisible Killer and Phantom
    Of Soho.

    More announcements from Criterion. Salvatore Giuliano will be released on
    February 24th. The technical specifications are Dolby mono audio and
    anamorphic 1.85:1 video with a retail price of $39.95. Extras are stated as
    New audio commentary by film historian Peter Cowie; Francesco Rosi: a
    55-minute documentary made for Italian television surveying the director's
    career to date, offering an intimate visit with Rosi at home and on location
    around Sicily, with special appearances by directors Giuseppe Tornatore
    (Cinema Paradiso) and Martin Scorsese; New video interviews with Rosi and
    film critic and author Tullio Kezich; Original theatrical trailer; New essay
    by film historian and critic Michel Ciment; Written tributes to Rosi by
    Martin Scorsese, Federico Fellini, and Francis Ford Coppola. It's in the
    original Italian with English subtitles.

    Le Corbeau (The Raven) will be released by Criterion on February 17th for
    $29.95. Specifications are original French mono audio with full screen and
    English subtitles. Extras are given as Video interview with Bertrand
    Tavernier, director of Coup de Torchon; Excerpts from The Story of French
    Cinema by Those Who Made It: Grand Illusions 1939 - 1942, a 1975 documentary
    featuring Henri-Georges Clouzot; New essay by film scholar Alan Williams,
    author of Republic of Images: A History of French Filmmaking.

    Maitresse hits the stores care of Criterion on February 3rd. Retail price is
    $29.95 and it will feature French mono audio, anamorphic 1.66:1 video and
    English subtitles. The extras include Exclusive video interview with Barbet
    Schroeder; New essay by film critic Elliott Stein..

    Diary Of A Country Priest (Journal d'un curé de campagne) rounds things off
    for Criterion with a release date set for February 3rd and list price of
    $39.95. Once more the audio is French mono with English subtitles and full
    frame video. Extras were given as Audio commentary by film historian Peter
    Cowie; 11-minutes of deleted scenes; New and improved English subtitle
    translation; New essay by film critic Frédéric Bonnaud.

    The most expensive list price to date has been announced with the Fox
    release of the first seven season box set of the X-Files. This combination
    of the first seven season sets will list for a gigantic suggested price of
    $1,049.98.

    From Anchor Bay there is an eclectic mix of release announcements. February
    3rd: Thomas & Friends: Best Of Gordon, February 10th: Breakthru: Pilates
    Sculpt, March 2nd: Thomas & Friends: New Friends For Thomas, Thomas &
    Friends: Thomas & His Friends Get Along, March 9th: Dawn Of The Dead,
    Mirror, Mirror Collection and on March 23rd: Hercules: Legendary Journeys:
    Season 3 and Osterman Weekend.

    From Columbia/TriStar on February 10th; Fire Down Below (1957), Once Upon A
    Time In The Midlands, Returner (2002), Tokyo Joe (1949) and Walk On The Wild
    Side (1962). Each title goes for $24.95 retail.

    Columbia also has the recent Meg Ryan flick In The Cut which is being
    released as both a MPAA rated 'R' version and an Un-rated Director's cut
    version. Both are due out on February 10th retailig for $26.95.

    in several formats as well as daily changes. The official list now features
    36,264 titles with 273 additions or changes and 256 Pre-Release
    announcements. The All Titles list has 36,520 titles. Recent releases
    include: Last Week 311, This Week 212 and Next Week 158 titles.

    Preview Seabiscuit. Reviews of X2: X-Men United, Two Towers Extended,
    Hulk,Indy Collection, Taken, Sopranos Season 4, Matrix Reloaded, Avril
    Lavigne: My World, Scarface(1983), Scarface (1932), Smallville, In Cold
    Blood, Kiss Symphony, Chicago and All That Jazz. Past film reviews include
    Steve O Out on Bail, May, Bedford Incident, 12 Angry Men (1957), Them, Usual
    Suspects and Gormenghast . Coming titles listed before all the specs are in
    can be found in a new list, http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/pre-releases.htm

    Updated lists for discontinued, cancelled, postponed and rescheduled titles
    as well as lists for DTS, ES/EX and Superbit titles. UPC numbers and
    original release dates now being added to the database. There is also a
    greatly expanded list of titles that were rescheduled or reissued. Search
    function for the database, (now including UPC search) complements of site
    partner and friend, Michael's Movie Mayhem
    (http://kazart.com/mec/DVDList2.html) and DVDLister.

    Updates to the DVD database, including release specs usually made twice
    daily.

    Please stop by and visit.
    Thank you.
    --
    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com

    news.verizon.net, Dec 6, 2003

  2. news.verizon.net

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Re: New Releases: Sylvia, More Criterion, X-Files 7 Seasons: Updatedcomplete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

    news.verizon.net wrote:

    ....snip...

    > The most expensive list price to date has been announced with the Fox
    > release of the first seven season box set of the X-Files. This combination
    > of the first seven season sets will list for a gigantic suggested price of
    > $1,049.98.

    Wow! What a bargain. Each individual set lists for 149.99. But the
    combo lists (per set) at only 149.97.

    dick
    -- I should have waited to buy so that I could have saved some money :)

    Dick Sidbury, Dec 6, 2003