New Releases: Swimming Pool, OZ, Friends & Dilbert: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info l

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug MacLean, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    From Universal on January 20th two versions of Swimming Pool will be
    released. Both an unrated and MPAA 'R' rated version will come to DVD
    featuring Dolby 5.1/DTS audio and anamorphic 1.85:1 video and retail for
    $26.98. Also on that date is Bring It On Again the sequel to Bring it On.
    Extras for this one are listed as Alternate Opening; Deleted Scenes; Tony
    G's Cheer Dos and Cheer Don'ts; Pop-Up Video with the Cast; You're On The
    Set...The Making of Bring It On Again; Cheer Along From the Original Bring
    It On. Specifications are initially given as Dolby 5.1 audio and anamorphic
    video with a list price of $26.98.

    March 3rd will bring out from HBO a couple of series that some may be
    looking forward to. Oz: The Complete Third Season ($64.98), Prime Suspect 2
    and Prime Suspect 3 ($29.98) each with 5.1 audio and full screen as well as
    Cracker: The Complete 2nd Season ($39.98).

    Friends: The Complete 6th Season will be released by Warner Brother on
    February 3rd for $44.98. On February 10th the have Gilligan's Island: The
    Complete First Season ready listing at $39.98. Also on February 10th is the
    animated Superman: Last Son Of Krypton with announced extras of Superman:
    Family, Friends, Family & Foes Character Bios; Portrait Of A Hero: How To
    Draw Superman; Escape From Planet Krypton DVD Challenge. The suggested cost
    is $14.98.

    The short lived animated series geared towards the office worker, Dilbert:
    The Complete 1st Season will be released by Columbia/TriStar on January 27th
    for a list price of $29.95. Also on that date are Spellbound (Documentary)
    and Fist Of The Red Dragon both in anamorphic video.

    The third installment of the El Mariachi saga Once Upon A Time In Mexico
    will be released by Columbia on January 27th. The technical specifications
    listed in the initial announcement state Dolby 5.1 audio and anamorphic
    1.78:1 video. The extras where given as Deleted and Alternate Scenes;
    Commentary by director Robert Rodriguez; Four Exclusive Featurettes;
    Multi-Angle Scene Evolutions and Two Film School Short Films. The listed
    price is $28.95. You can also get the film as part of a two pack, Once Upon
    A Time In Mexico / Desperado: Special Edition (2-pack) for $39.95.

    Due out from Music Video Distributors on December 9th Holly Mcnarland: Live
    At The Great Hall. On December 16th Reverend Clay Evans: Constantly - Live
    In Concert. Deftones: Death By Decibels comes out on January 6th. January
    20th brings Charly Antolini: Jazz Power - Hot Jazz Festival, Chris Barber:
    Hot Jazz Festival, Friend N Fellow: Live and Taxman: F@#k The Bull S&!t -
    Taxman Movie. A few late announcements for November 25th include Chris
    Barber: 40 Years Jubilee Concert, Jazz Festival Vol. 1, Jazz Life Vol. 1,
    Jazz Life Vol. 2, Kenny Drew Trio: At The Brewhouse and Stephane Grappelli:
    Live In San Francisco.

    Fox has announced that all variations of the first two Star Wars episodes
    are being discontinued. This includes the widescreen and pan & scan versions
    and the combined two packs. This is effective as of the end of the year.

    in several formats as well as daily changes. The official list now features
    35,327 titles with 243 additions or changes and 220 Pre-Release
    announcements. The All Titles list has 35,547 titles. Recent releases
    include: Last Week 268, This Week 232 and Next Week 389 titles.

    Previews of X2: X-Men United, Two Towers Extended Reviews of Hulk, Indy
    Collection, Taken, Sopranos Season 4, Matrix Reloaded, Avril Lavigne: My
    World Scarface(1983), Scarface (1932), Smallville, In Cold Blood, Kiss
    Symphony, The Two Towers, Chicago and All That Jazz. Past film reviews
    include Steve O Out on Bail, May, Phone Booth, 12 Angry Men (1957), Them,
    Usual Suspects and Gormenghast . Coming titles listed before all the specs
    are in can be found in a new list,
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/pre-releases.htm

    Updated lists for discontinued, cancelled, postponed and rescheduled titles
    as well as lists for DTS, ES/EX and Superbit titles. UPC numbers and
    original release dates now being added to the database. There is also a
    greatly expanded list of titles that were rescheduled or reissued. Search
    function for the database, (now including UPC search) complements of site
    partner and friend, Michael's Movie Mayhem
    (http://kazart.com/mec/DVDList2.html) and DVDLister.

    Updates to the DVD database, including release specs usually made twice
    daily.

    Please stop by and visit.
    Thank you.
    --
    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com
    Doug MacLean, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Doug MacLean

    manitou910 Guest

    Re: New Releases: Swimming Pool, OZ, Friends & Dilbert: Updated completedownloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

    Doug MacLean wrote:

    > March 3rd will bring out from HBO a couple of series that some may be
    > looking forward to. Oz: The Complete Third Season ($64.98), Prime Suspect 2
    > and Prime Suspect 3 ($29.98) each with 5.1 audio and full screen as well as
    > Cracker: The Complete 2nd Season ($39.98).

    Any word on DVD releases for S2&3 of "Six Feet Under" and WTF S1 was
    released/shown in 1.33:1, when it was filmed at 16x9?

    S3 in widescreen HDTV looked drastically better than the first two seasons.

    C.
    manitou910, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "manitou910" <> wrote in message
    > Doug MacLean wrote:
    > >
    > > March 3rd will bring out from HBO a couple of series that some may be
    > > looking forward to. Oz: The Complete Third Season ($64.98), Prime

    Suspect 2
    > > and Prime Suspect 3 ($29.98) each with 5.1 audio and full screen as well

    as
    > > Cracker: The Complete 2nd Season ($39.98).

    > Any word on DVD releases for S2&3 of "Six Feet Under" and WTF S1 was
    > released/shown in 1.33:1, when it was filmed at 16x9?
    >
    > S3 in widescreen HDTV looked drastically better than the first two

    seasons.

    HBO is just starting to announce their February and March releases and
    according to a rep over there the announcement for Six Feet under should
    happen in the next few weeks. They gave no rational behind their decision
    for the full screen release of season one. Hopefully they will re-think
    things for the next season set.

    --

    Doug MacLean
    Home Theater Info
    Doug MacLean, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean wrote:
    > manitou910 wrote:
    >>Doug MacLean wrote:
    >>
    >>>March 3rd will bring out from HBO a couple of series that some may be
    >>>looking forward to. Oz: The Complete Third Season ($64.98),

    >>Any word on DVD releases for S2&3 of "Six Feet Under" and WTF S1 was
    >>released/shown in 1.33:1, when it was filmed at 16x9?
    >>
    >>S3 in widescreen HDTV looked drastically better than the first two
    >>seasons.

    > HBO is just starting to announce their February and March releases and
    > according to a rep over there the announcement for Six Feet under should
    > happen in the next few weeks. They gave no rational behind their decision
    > for the full screen release of season one. Hopefully they will re-think
    > things for the next season set.

    Thanks for clarification.

    CPJ
    (still doesn't believe Nate would ever marry Lisa)
    manitou910, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Re: New Releases: Swimming Pool, OZ, Friends & Dilbert: Updated completedownloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

    Doug MacLean wrote:
    > "manitou910" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Doug MacLean wrote:
    >>
    >>>March 3rd will bring out from HBO a couple of series that some may be
    >>>looking forward to. Oz: The Complete Third Season ($64.98), Prime

    > Suspect 2
    >
    >>>and Prime Suspect 3 ($29.98) each with 5.1 audio and full screen as well

    > as
    >
    >>>Cracker: The Complete 2nd Season ($39.98).

    >>Any word on DVD releases for S2&3 of "Six Feet Under" and WTF S1 was
    >>released/shown in 1.33:1, when it was filmed at 16x9?
    >>
    >>S3 in widescreen HDTV looked drastically better than the first two

    > seasons.
    >

    > HBO is just starting to announce their February and March releases and
    > according to a rep over there the announcement for Six Feet under should
    > happen in the next few weeks. They gave no rational behind their decision
    > for the full screen release of season one. Hopefully they will re-think
    > things for the next season set.

    SFU: season 1 was filmed and screened (in HD no less) 1.33:1, hence the
    aspect ratio of the DVD.
    Tallulah Blanket, Nov 13, 2003
  6. Doug MacLean

    jayembee Guest

    manitou910 <> wrote:

    > Any word on DVD releases for S2&3 of "Six Feet Under"

    SFU S2 will probably be coming out in late Spring (most likely
    timed with whenever S4 starts up on HBO). S3 probably won't
    be out until a year afterward.

    > and WTF S1 was released/shown in 1.33:1, when it was filmed
    > at 16x9?

    As far as I can tell, the series wasn't intended to be 16x9
    until S3.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Nov 13, 2003
  7. Doug MacLean

    Tallulah Blanket wrote:

    > SFU: season 1 was filmed and screened (in HD no less) 1.33:1, hence the
    > aspect ratio of the DVD.

    The DVD featurettes for S1 reveal it was photographed on a shoot/protect
    basis for widescreen, with the standard aspect ratio extracted from the
    center. A glimpse of one of the on-set monitors and/or camera
    viewfinders confirms this.

    C.
    manitou910, Nov 13, 2003
  8. Doug MacLean

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Tallulah Blanket" <> wrote in message
    > SFU: season 1 was filmed and screened (in HD no less) 1.33:1, hence

    the
    > aspect ratio of the DVD.

    Season 1 did not air in HD.
    Joshua Zyber, Nov 13, 2003
  9. Doug MacLean

    Jim Fraas Guest

    --
    There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
    It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.
    "Doug MacLean" <> wrote in message
    > From Universal on January 20th two versions of Swimming Pool will be
    > released. Both an unrated and MPAA 'R' rated version will come to DVD
    > featuring Dolby 5.1/DTS audio and anamorphic 1.85:1 video and retail for
    > $26.98.

    what I would have done was have an all English All French or original
    soundtrack which was both English and FRench with a number of subtitle
    options

    1) Default: English/French English subtitles of French dialog
    2) English/French French subtitles of English dialog
    3)All French
    4)All English

    CAtions would also be availabel for hearing impared

    An unrated version look interesting :)
    Jim Fraas, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Re: New Releases: Swimming Pool, OZ, Friends & Dilbert: Updated completedownloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

    manitou910 wrote:
    > Tallulah Blanket wrote:
    >

    >> SFU: season 1 was filmed and screened (in HD no less) 1.33:1, hence
    >> the aspect ratio of the DVD.

    > The DVD featurettes for S1 reveal it was photographed on a shoot/protect
    > basis for widescreen, with the standard aspect ratio extracted from the
    > center. A glimpse of one of the on-set monitors and/or camera
    > viewfinders confirms this.

    Series 1 has *never* been shown in widescreen. One has to assume that
    it was always intended for 4:3 broadcast. The same applies to Sex and
    the City. That it may have been shot using a monitor which had a 1.78:1
    frame is pretty much irrelevant. Buffy was also shot 16:9 but always
    intended to be screened 4:3. The 16:9 version was only shown in the UK.
    Tallulah Blanket, Nov 14, 2003
  11. Doug MacLean

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <cZWsb.10087$>,
    Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:

    > Buffy was also shot 16:9 but always
    > intended to be screened 4:3. The 16:9 version was only shown in the UK.

    So, if it was always intended to be seen in 4:3, why in the blue hell
    was it released in 16:9 in the UK?
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Nov 17, 2003
  12. On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:51:55 -0600, Black Locust <>
    wrote:

    >In article <cZWsb.10087$>,
    > Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:
    >
    >> Buffy was also shot 16:9 but always
    >> intended to be screened 4:3. The 16:9 version was only shown in the UK.

    >So, if it was always intended to be seen in 4:3, why in the blue hell
    >was it released in 16:9 in the UK?

    Because 16:9 is the current standard in the UK. Think of it like
    reverse Pan'n'scan

    GK
    The Mad Doctor, Nov 17, 2003