New Releases: Rod Steiger films, Golden Pond SE: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info list

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug MacLean, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    Adventures Of Captain Marvel represented a now long gone aspect of the local
    theater, the weekly serial. Artisan releases all the episodes in this 1941
    classic on December 16th for $14.98. Also on that date they have Enforcer
    (1951) and Flat Top.

    December 16th also brings some more 'Value Pack' double features from
    Universal. Beautiful Mind / Emperor's Club (Value-Pack), October Sky / Field
    Of Dreams (Value-Pack) and Road To Perdition / The Legend Of Bagger Vance
    (Value-Pack) each priced at $32.98.

    Image chimes in with their own two film packs. Mostly they are Sci-Fi and
    Horror 'B' flicks from the fifties and early sixties. All are due out on
    November 25th and retail for $14.98. Included are Basket Case / Return Of
    The Swamp Thing (2-Pack), Beach Girls And The Monster / Brain From Planet
    Arous (2-Pack), Bride Of The Gorilla / Bride Of The Monster (2-Pack), Devil
    Girl From Mars / Women Of The Moon (2-Pack), Kronos / Spaceways (2-Pack),
    Mesa Of Lost Women / Beast Of The Yucca Flats (2-Pack), Missile To The Moon
    / Project Moonbase (2-Pack), Monster From Green Hell / Giant From The
    Unknown (2-Pack) and Stranger From Venus / The Cosmic Man (2-Pack).

    Rhino has Concert For George due out on November 18th. This tribute to the
    late Beatle George Harrison will feature Dolby 5.1/DTS audio and has a
    suggested price of $29.99. Includes performances by Eric Clapton, Jeff
    Lynne, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Monty Python, Anoushka
    Shankar, Ravi Shankar and Ringo Starr.

    Something a bit strange from Video Naturals Company. For $19.98 you can
    watch a picture of wood burning or fish swimming. For those that grew up in
    New York City think the old WPIX Yule Log. New Video Aquarium and Original
    Video Fireplace will list at $19.98 or you can go for 2 Video Fireplaces On
    1 DVD at $24.95. All are being released on October 28th.

    Artisan has a number of films set for release on December 16th. Among them
    are a couple of films of more than passing interest for film collectors. The
    Pawnbroker, the 1964 drama featuring Rod Steiger and Brock Peters as well as
    another Steiger classic, this time with Gary Cooper, Court-Martial Of Billy
    Mitchell. Both will have a suggested price of $14.98.

    Also in that set of releases from Artisan are Cutthroat Alley, Dangerous
    Passion, Dark Wind, Dawning, Dead Sleep, The Men, Redemption (2003) and
    Shattered Dreams.

    December 16th will also see the Artisan release of On Golden Pond (Special
    Edition - New Version). This release is listed as featuring anamorphic video
    and Dolby EX video. The extras were given as Documentary "Reflections on
    Golden Pond" - a tribute to the work of cinematographer Billy Williams;
    Commentary Track with Writer Ernest Thompson - author of the Broadway play;
    Katharine Hepburn Tribute Documentary; Charles Kiselyak's Documentary
    "Loving Against Time." The retail price is listed as 19.98.

    Kurt And Courtney (Special Edition) documentary about the ill fated grunge
    rock royal couple will street on December 9th. I have received announcements
    for this title from both Fox Lorber and Wellspring. The UPC prefix of 720917
    has been used by both studios. Extras include Commentary by director;
    Interviews; Deleted scenes; Stills gallery.

    in several formats as well as daily changes. The official list now
    features33,970 titles with 478 additions or changes and 356 Pre-Release
    announcements. The All Titles list has 34,326 titles. Recent releases
    include: Last Week 251, This Week 346 and Next Week 291 titles.

    Previews of Taken, Sopranos Season 4, Matrix Reloaded, Hulk, Avril Lavigne:
    My World and 28 Days Later. Reviews of Scarface(1983), Scarface (1932),
    Smallville, In Cold Blood, Kiss Symphony, Outer Limits Season 2, The Two
    Towers, Chicago and All That Jazz. Past film reviews include Wait Until
    Dark, Daredevil, Them, May, Phone Booth, Gangs of New York, Spun, Killing
    Me Softly, Real Women Have Curves, The Day the Earth Stood Still , Them,
    Usual Suspects and Gormenghast . Coming titles listed before all the specs
    are in can be found in a new list,
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/pre-releases.htm

    Updated lists for discontinued, cancelled, postponed and rescheduled titles
    as well as lists for DTS, ES/EX and Superbit titles. UPC numbers and
    original release dates now being added to the database. There is also a
    greatly expanded list of titles that were rescheduled or reissued. Search
    function for the database, (now including UPC search) complements of site
    partner and friend, Michael's Movie Mayhem
    (http://kazart.com/mec/DVDList2.html) and DVDLister.

    Updates to the DVD database, including release specs usually made twice
    daily.

    Please stop by and visit.
    Thank you.
    --
    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com

    Doug MacLean, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Doug MacLean

    Jim Hollis Guest

    With all due respect. WHy keep mentioning anything released by Artisan. We
    all know they release junk copies and have managed to pretty well screw up
    everything they've touched. The less mention the better as maybe this will
    translate to less sales for them and the eventual heave ho given to whatever
    functional illiterate is runing their operation.
    "Doug MacLean" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > and Dolby EX video. The extras were given as Documentary "Reflections on
    > Golden Pond" - a tribute to the work of cinematographer Billy Williams;
    > Commentary Track with Writer Ernest Thompson - author of the Broadway

    play;
    > Katharine Hepburn Tribute Documentary; Charles Kiselyak's Documentary
    > "Loving Against Time." The retail price is listed as 19.98.
    >
    > Kurt And Courtney (Special Edition) documentary about the ill fated grunge
    > rock royal couple will street on December 9th. I have received

    announcements
    > for this title from both Fox Lorber and Wellspring. The UPC prefix of

    720917
    > has been used by both studios. Extras include Commentary by director;
    > Interviews; Deleted scenes; Stills gallery.
    >
    > Stop by for a complete downloadable information list of all region one

    DVDs

    Jim Hollis, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Doug MacLean

    Doonie Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:25:20 -0500, Jim Hollis wrote:

    >With all due respect. WHy keep mentioning anything released by Artisan.

    With all due respect, why quote the guy's whole, big message? What
    a waste of bandwidth and server space, with everyone doing this.

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Oct 11, 2003
  4. On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 06:33:44 GMT, Doonie
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:25:20 -0500, Jim Hollis wrote:
    >
    >>With all due respect. WHy keep mentioning anything released by Artisan.

    > With all due respect, why quote the guy's whole, big message? What
    >a waste of bandwidth and server space, with everyone doing this.

    Yes, but he did very considerately post his text above the original so
    that you don't have to scroll past the entire thing! ;-)

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Doug MacLean

    jayembee Guest

    "Jim Hollis" <> wrote:

    > With all due respect. WHy keep mentioning anything released
    > by Artisan. We all know they release junk copies and have
    > managed to pretty well screw up everything they've touched.
    > The less mention the better as maybe this will translate to
    > less sales for them and the eventual heave ho given to whatever
    > functional illiterate is runing their operation.

    Gee, I don't know. Maybe Doug wants to give us the opportunity
    to decide for *ourselves* whether it's something we care about
    instead of dictating to us what's worth it and what's not.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 11, 2003
  6. On 11 Oct 2003 06:51:37 -0700, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    >"Jim Hollis" <> wrote:
    >
    >> With all due respect. WHy keep mentioning anything released
    >> by Artisan. We all know they release junk copies and have
    >> managed to pretty well screw up everything they've touched.
    >> The less mention the better as maybe this will translate to
    >> less sales for them and the eventual heave ho given to whatever
    >> functional illiterate is runing their operation.

    >Gee, I don't know. Maybe Doug wants to give us the opportunity
    >to decide for *ourselves* whether it's something we care about
    >instead of dictating to us what's worth it and what's not.

    Personally, other than the screwed-up Laurel and Hardy release, I've
    been generally been happy with Artisan. Lest we forget the incredible
    "Terminator II" Extreme and Profound (or whatever <g>) DVD tins are
    Artisan's.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 11, 2003
  7. Doug MacLean

    TSKO Guest

    I must say...I am looking forward to On Golden Pond.....love that movie

    TSKO, Oct 11, 2003
  8. In article <>, Jim Hollis
    <> wrote:

    >With all due respect. WHy keep mentioning anything released by
    >Artisan. We all know they release junk copies and have managed
    >to pretty well screw up everything they've touched. The less
    >mention the better as maybe this will translate to less sales
    >for them and the eventual heave ho given to whatever functional
    >illiterate is runing their operation.

    Better a less than perfect than none at all.

    I've even special ordered some VHS tapes in the past two years
    as they were never on anything else and were going out of print.

    And buying a tape is a very rare occurance for me - probably about
    6 from about 2000 I've recorded off the air in the past 20 years.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Oct 12, 2003
  9. Doug MacLean

    Doonie Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:56:57 +0200, Mischa van Dinter wrote:

    >Yes, but he did very considerately post his text above the original so
    >that you don't have to scroll past the entire thing! ;-)

    How thoughtful of him, eh? :eek:)

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Oct 12, 2003
  10. Doug MacLean

    Mike Kohary Guest

    > December 16th will also see the Artisan release of On Golden Pond (Special
    > Edition - New Version). This release is listed as featuring anamorphic

    video
    > and Dolby EX video. The extras were given as Documentary "Reflections on
    > Golden Pond" - a tribute to the work of cinematographer Billy Williams;
    > Commentary Track with Writer Ernest Thompson - author of the Broadway

    play;
    > Katharine Hepburn Tribute Documentary; Charles Kiselyak's Documentary
    > "Loving Against Time." The retail price is listed as 19.98.

    Normally I'd be very much looking forward to this. I have the old version
    on DVD, and it's not bad, but could definitely use a re-mastering. Here it
    is - from Artisan, which to me means mixed results. On Golden Pond is a
    beatiful film that deserves good treatment, but I'm skeptical we'll get it
    from Artisan. I guess I'll wait for the reviews and hope for the best.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Oct 12, 2003
  11. Doug MacLean

    karlpov Guest

    Problem is that Artisan continues to release good movies available
    nowhere else. Sometimes the releases are good.

    I am amazed that they still go for pan&scan on unpredictable
    occasions, and I despise the have-it-both-ways announcement they put
    on the cover (first they claim the film's been adapted from its
    original format, then that the standard version is the original
    format, each of which is true in some cases, the other being false).

    Image or Anchor Bay are always more reliable than Artisan, but Image
    puts out rather little worthwhile content these days (there are
    notable exceptions), and Anchor Bay can't handle everything.

    karlpov, Oct 12, 2003
  12. Doug MacLean

    jayembee Guest

    karlpov <> wrote:

    >Problem is that Artisan continues to release good movies available
    >nowhere else. Sometimes the releases are good.
    >
    >I am amazed that they still go for pan&scan on unpredictable
    >occasions, and I despise the have-it-both-ways announcement they put
    >on the cover (first they claim the film's been adapted from its
    >original format, then that the standard version is the original
    >format, each of which is true in some cases, the other being false).

    The problem I have with Artisan is their deceptive disclaimers
    regarding ratio. They'll often refer to their fullscreen releases as
    being in "the ratio in which the film was shot". This is simply
    twisting the facts to suit their purpose.

    Anyone knowledgable about how films are made knows that matted
    widescreen films are *shot* in Academy Ratio, even though they're
    *composed* for, and intended to be seen in, a wider ratio.

    But anyone without such knowledge would assume from the disclaimer
    that the film in question was intended to be fullscreen, which is
    often not the case.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 13, 2003