New Releases: Hitchcock, Trek & Mork: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug MacLean, Jun 19, 2004.

  1. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    Fans of the master of mystery, Alfred Hitchcock can should put some money
    aside for September 7th when Warner Brothers has something for you. On that
    date they will release several classic Hitchcock films including:
    Dial M for Murder
    Foreign Correspondent
    I Confess
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith
    Stage Fright
    Strangers On A Train
    Suspicion
    Wrong Man
    Each title will list for $19.95 and while most reflect the original full
    screen and mono a couple of titles are mastered in anamorphic wide screen.
    They also have the Alfred Hitchcock Signature Series box set for $99.99.
    This set also includes the previous released North By Northwest.

    A.D. Vision will release Andromeda #4.1 on August 10 listing for $39.95.

    Paramount will release the first season of the original Star Trek on August
    31st. The list price will be $169.95.

    For the die hard Treker Paramount has:
    Trekkies 1 & 2 (2-Pack)
    Trekkies 2
    Both set for release on August 31st.

    Paramount has a couple of other television seasons set for release.
    September 7th
    Mork & Mindy: Season #1 ($39.95)
    September 14th:
    7th Heaven: Season #1 ($59.95)

    On September 7th Paramount will release United States Of Leland listing for
    $29.95. The initial specifications stated Dolby 5.1 audio and anamorphic
    video.

    Paramount has announced a couple of titles now listed as discontinued:
    Nutty Professor (1963/ Movie-Only Edition)
    Untouchables (Special Collector's Edition)

    Some titles have been announced by Kultur for release on August 31st.
    Mozart: Idomeneo
    Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet
    Story Of Motoring
    Tot Tap
    Triumph Of Bonneville
    Verdi: Ernani
    Verdi: Falstaff: Royal Opera Covent Garden
    Verdi: I Lombardi
    Wedding Dances
    Wimbledon 1980 Final: Borg Vs. McEnroe
    Wimbledon 1981 Final: Borg Vs. McEnroe
    Wimbledon 2004: Official Film
    Baby Ballet
    Ballet Class For Beginners
    I Hate Exercise: I Love To Tap
    I'm A Ballerina Now
    Junior Jazz
    Legends Of Wimbledon: Bjorn Borg
    Legends Of Wimbledon: John McEnroe
    Maroon 5: All Access Live

    The 'R' rated variations of Universal's October 5th release of Dawn of the
    Dead has been announced. Like the unrated counterparts there will be both
    P&S and anamorphic in separate releases, each listing for $29.99.

    Universal has also announced for an October 5th release date Thing
    (Collector's Edition / 1982). It will have Dolby 5.1 audio and anamorphic
    video retailing for $19.95.

    Announced for release by MGM/UA on September 7th:
    Soul Plane (R-Rated Version)
    Soul Plane (Un-Rated Version)
    List price will be $29.99 and will have Dolby 5.1

    A number of titles are set for a September 7th release by MGM/UA:
    This Happy Breed
    Gotham
    Madeleine
    Moving Target
    Oliver Twist (1948)
    Blithe Spirit
    Great Expectations (1946)
    In Which We Serve
    Burning Bed
    Martian Chronicles
    Judgment At Nuremberg
    Brief Encounter
    Passionate Friends
    Each of these titles will list for $14.95, most with stereo audio and full
    screen.

    MGM also has for September 7th:
    David Lean DVD Collection: Blithe Spirit / Brief Encounter / Great
    Expectations / In Which We Serve / Madeleine / ...
    This box set will list for $99.99.

    A little error correction, the Ipcress File was mistakenly listed among the
    up coming Alpha Video releases. The announcement was actually from Anchor
    Bay that they have discontinued the title. My mistake, mea culpa. Must wait
    until after coffee kicks in to write this stuff.

    in several formats as well as daily changes. Currently the main database
    contains 45,177 titles. Changes and additions this week number 438 and there
    are 2,396 due to be released titles. Updated lists for discontinued,
    cancelled, postponed and rescheduled titles as well as lists for DTS, ES/EX
    and Superbit titles. UPC numbers and original release dates are included in
    the fields. There is also a comprehensive list of titles that were
    rescheduled or reissued. Search function for the database, (including UPC
    search) complements of site partner and friend, Michael's Movie Mayhem
    http://www.dvdlist.kazart.com.

    Current previews include The Dreamers, Butterfly Effect, Blazing Saddles
    30th Anniversary, Six Feet Under: Season 2, Under the Lighthouse Dancing and
    High Art. Recent reviews include Dead Like Me Season 1, Monster, The
    Company, Paycheck, The Great Escape and The Girl with a Pear Earring.
    Updates to the DVD database, including release specifications usually made
    twice daily.

    Please stop by and visit.
    Thank you.

    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/

    Doug MacLean, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Re: New Releases: Hitchcock, Trek & Mork: Updated complete downloadableR1 DVD DB & info lists

    Doug MacLean wrote:
    > Paramount will release the first season of the original Star Trek on August
    > 31st. The list price will be $169.95.

    :::jaw drop, blink blink::: You can't be serious! Does it comes
    personally delivered by Shatner? Why the price?

    > 7th Heaven: Season #1 ($59.95)

    Oh finally...

    > Universal has also announced for an October 5th release date Thing
    > (Collector's Edition / 1982). It will have Dolby 5.1 audio and anamorphic
    > video retailing for $19.95.

    Is this the same as the current version but with anamorphic video?

    > MGM also has for September 7th:
    > David Lean DVD Collection: Blithe Spirit / Brief Encounter / Great
    > Expectations / In Which We Serve / Madeleine / ...
    > This box set will list for $99.99.

    Any word on how this compares to some of the Criterion releases?

    > Please stop by and visit.
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Doug MacLean
    > http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/

    Thank YOU for the post.

    --
    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 19, 2004

  3. On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > > MGM also has for September 7th:
    > > David Lean DVD Collection: Blithe Spirit / Brief Encounter / Great
    > > Expectations / In Which We Serve / Madeleine / ...
    > > This box set will list for $99.99.
    > >

    > Any word on how this compares to some of the Criterion releases?

    It's cheaper. On the extras side, the most any of these have is a trailer
    (and Great Expectations doesn't even have that. Nor does Madeline or This
    Happy Breed).

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    > Doug MacLean wrote:

    >> Universal has also announced for an October 5th release date Thing
    >> (Collector's Edition / 1982). It will have Dolby 5.1 audio and
    >> anamorphic video retailing for $19.95.

    > Is this the same as the current version but with anamorphic video?

    Apparently so: the listing at

    http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=34777

    mentions the same extras as the existing edition. (Well, except for the
    isolated score easter-egg, but that wasn't listed on the old edition
    either. I expect it'll be removed from the re-issue, but you never know.)

    >> MGM also has for September 7th:
    >> David Lean DVD Collection: Blithe Spirit / Brief Encounter / Great
    >> Expectations / In Which We Serve / Madeleine / ...
    >> This box set will list for $99.99.

    > Any word on how this compares to some of the Criterion releases?

    Well, the Criterion _Great Expectations_ and _Oliver Twist_ discs were both
    pretty low on extras (just the theatrical trailer), and the Image disc of
    _Blithe Spirit_ is bare-bones, so for those films it'll really just depend
    on the quality of MGM's transfers. I've seen no mention of the MGM _Brief
    Encounter_ containing the commentary from Criterion's disc, though.

    Speaking for myself, I'm just pre-ordering the four titles that haven't
    been released before (_In Which We Serve_, _Madeleine_, _This Happy Breed_,
    _The Passionate Friends_) and will await comparative reviews before
    deciding whether to replace _Oliver Twist_, _Great Expectations_, _Brief
    Encounter_ and _Blithe Spirit_.

    doug

    --
    "A bed is creaking as the new messiah comes..."
    --XTC

    Douglas Bailey, Jun 19, 2004
  5. Doug MacLean

    SRT Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > Doug MacLean wrote:
    > > Paramount will release the first season of the original Star Trek on

    August
    > > 31st. The list price will be $169.95.
    > >

    > :::jaw drop, blink blink::: You can't be serious! Does it comes
    > personally delivered by Shatner? Why the price?
    >

    > --C.S. Lewis

    Why the disbelief? Not that I'd ever pay close to $170.00 for old Star Trek
    shows; but based on the trend of the other Star Trek series, I figured these
    season sets would probably retail for around $500 each and come with no
    packaging whatsoever (just a bunch of loose, unlabeled discs in an unmarked
    brown paper bag).

    .. . . but to specifically answer your question "Why the price?" - simply
    because there are people that are willing to pay that amount and would
    probably even pay more!

    srt

    SRT, Jun 19, 2004
  6. Doug MacLean

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <dUOAc.4134$>,
    says...

    > Paramount will release the first season of the original Star Trek on August
    > 31st. The list price will be $169.95.

    Are you sure about that? Cinescape has an article up that claims
    Paramount hasn't decided on the MSRP yet, but estimates it will be
    around $100:

    http://tinyurl.com/23q35

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Jun 20, 2004
  7. In article <MPG.1b3ecb44593a45a0989e8f@207.14.113.17>, Dave Garrett
    <> wrote:

    > In article <dUOAc.4134$>,
    > says...
    >
    > > Paramount will release the first season of the original Star Trek on August
    > > 31st. The list price will be $169.95.

    > Are you sure about that?

    I doubt that price is legit. No season boxed set of anything ever
    costs THAT much. Not even the first few seasons of X-Files. Certainly
    no Trek show.

    --
    "No urban night is like the night [in NYC]...here is our poetry, for we have
    pulled down the stars to our will."

    Keeper of the Purple Twilight, Jun 20, 2004
  8. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "Dave Garrett" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dUOAc.4134$>,
    > says...
    >
    > > Paramount will release the first season of the original Star Trek on

    August
    > > 31st. The list price will be $169.95.

    > Are you sure about that? Cinescape has an article up that claims
    > Paramount hasn't decided on the MSRP yet, but estimates it will be
    > around $100:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/23q35
    >
    > Dave

    The announcement I received from the studio did have a retail price of
    $169.95 listed. Considering the "deluxe" packaging this is not far off from
    the $135-$140 they typically set for the suggested price of other Star Trek
    full seasons like DS9 and TNG.

    I will call the rep for the studio next week to confirm but the only list
    price I've seen from them so far stated $169.95. Albeit, this would not be
    the first (or last) time the announcements sent out where incorrect. I've
    seen estimates of a list price of $100 but I've also seen online retailers
    stating the list as $169.95.

    Thanks for the heads up on this.

    --

    Doug MacLean
    Home Theater Info

    Doug MacLean, Jun 20, 2004
  9. Doug MacLean

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Dave Garrett wrote:

    > In article <dUOAc.4134$>,
    > says...
    >

    >>Paramount will release the first season of the original Star Trek on August
    >>31st. The list price will be $169.95.

    > Are you sure about that? Cinescape has an article up that claims
    > Paramount hasn't decided on the MSRP yet, but estimates it will be
    > around $100:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/23q35
    >
    > Dave

    Actually the article says that they estimate that the buyer can purchase
    it for about 100 dollars. This is in line with the other Trek sets
    prices on opening weekend at most B&M stores and their usual price at
    many online stores.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Jun 20, 2004
  10. Doug MacLean

    Tabernacle Guest

    Dick Sidbury <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Dave Garrett wrote:
    >
    > > In article <dUOAc.4134$>,
    > > says...
    > >

    > >>Paramount will release the first season of the original Star Trek on August
    > >>31st. The list price will be $169.95.

    > > Are you sure about that? Cinescape has an article up that claims
    > > Paramount hasn't decided on the MSRP yet, but estimates it will be
    > > around $100:
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/23q35
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > Actually the article says that they estimate that the buyer can purchase
    > it for about 100 dollars. This is in line with the other Trek sets
    > prices on opening weekend at most B&M stores and their usual price at
    > many online stores.
    >
    > dick

    I just checked it out on Amazon.com and it listed the retail price at
    $129.00, but with the 30% discount they have it at has the price for
    the box set going at $90.99, which is Super Cheap when compared for
    what the 2 episode discs were going for $19.99 per (most commonly
    found going for $14.99)!

    Tabernacle, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Doug MacLean

    RON H Guest

    Re: New Releases: Hitchcock, Trek & Mork: Updated completedownload...

    the reason star trek is so much is because the other trek series was
    over a hundred a season and sold well paramont knows trekkers will buy
    not me heck thats 2 month of groceries and my ac bill money im not going
    to be hot so paramont can have my money

    http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/familymatterslouisarmstrong.wav

    RON H, Jun 28, 2004