New releases: Angel, Lost in Space, Ike: Updated complete R1 DVD DB & info lists

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug MacLean, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    A very slow week of announcements ends with some releases from Fox. On
    September 7th they have Angel: Season 4 set to street. The list price will
    be $59.95.

    A week later on September 14th Fox has Lost In Space: Season 2 (volume 1)
    ready to list at $39.95. No news yet as to where they are breaking the
    season for volume one or when volume two will be ready.

    Also due out on September 14th from Fox is Simpsons Gone Wild. This is
    basically a compilation set including the episodes:
    Homer's Night Out,
    Sunday Cruddy Sunday,
    The Mansion Family
    Homer the Moe
    Also included is the featurette Krusty the Clown: King of Comedy
    List price set for $14.95.

    Rounding out the Fox releases for September 14th is Love Comes Softly.
    Initial technical specifications list anamorphic video and Dolby 5.1 audio
    retailing for $24.95.

    Announced by BMG
    July 1st:
    Gene Simmons: Speaking In Tongues
    Alabama: Video Hits
    Alan Jackson: Greatest Hits
    Jeff Healey: See The Light
    August 10th:
    Big Head Todd & The Monsters: Live At The Filmore
    Gene Simmons: Speaking In Tongues
    September 14th:
    Fleetwood Mac: Destiny Rules

    Ventura has a series of special interest discs for those interested in the
    techniques of the Shaolin monks.
    Invincible Shaolin: Kung Fu
    Shaolin: Death Squad
    Shaolin: Ex-Monk
    Shaolin: Magnificent Armour
    Shaolin: Red Master
    Each title will be released on October 12th listing for $9.99.

    Judgment At Nuremberg, originally announced by MGM for a release on
    September 7th has been postponed. No new date has been announced.

    Lyons Group has a couple of DVDs for the younger set due out next week, June
    29th:
    Wishbone: Paw Prints Of Thieves
    Wishbone: Hot Diggety Dawg
    Each will retail for $9.99.

    Lion's Gate will release Will & Grace: Season 3 on September 7th. Listing
    for $49.95 the technical specifications are Dolby stereo and full screen
    video.

    Also on September 7th Lion's Gates has more of the Best of Saturday Night
    Live series.
    Saturday Night Live: The Best Of Chris Kattan
    Saturday Night Live: The Best Of Christopher Walken
    Saturday Night Live: The Best Of Tracy Morgan
    Saturday Night Live: The Best Of Will Ferrell - Volume 2
    each lists for $19.98.
    They also have
    Saturday Night Live: The Best Of Will Farrell - Volumes 1 & 2
    on the same date listing for $29.98.

    WGHB public television has several documentaries set for June 29th:
    Longest Hatred: A Revealing History
    American Experience: Last Stand At Little Big Horn
    Nova: Einstein Revealed
    Nova: Universe Within
    Nova: Wild Weather Digital Field Trip
    Each has a suggested price of $19.95.

    Vanguard has several foreign language films set for release on September
    28th:
    American Beer
    Corndog Man
    El Malviviente (The Outcast)
    En Las Garras De La Muerte (Clutches Of Death)
    Latinos Locos
    King Of The Ants (Vanguard)

    Columbia/TriStar has announced a few releases for August 31st:
    Annie: A Royal Adventure
    Physical Evidence
    Relentless
    Relentless 2: Dead On

    Columbia also has set for that data the recent Tom Selleck tele-flick, Ike:
    Countdown to D-Day. The technical specifications are Dolby Surround and
    anamorphic video. The list price is $24.95.

    Pacific Media will release an Un-Rated and 'R' rated version of Latter Days.
    Set for a September 7th release it is schedule to be presented in Dolby
    Stereo and letterbox video. No word yet as to whether it will be anamorphic.
    The list price will be $24.95 for either variation.

    in several formats as well as daily changes. Currently the main database
    contains 45,534 titles. Changes and additions this week number 463 and there
    are 2,553 due to be released titles. Updated lists for discontinued,
    cancelled, postponed and rescheduled titles as well as lists for DTS, ES/EX
    and Superbit titles. UPC numbers and original release dates are included in
    the fields. There is also a comprehensive list of titles that were
    rescheduled or reissued. Search function for the database, (including UPC
    search) complements of site partner and friend, Michael's Movie Mayhem
    http://www.dvdlist.kazart.com.

    Current previews include The Dreamers, Butterfly Effect, Blazing Saddles
    30th Anniversary, Six Feet Under: Season 2, Under the Lighthouse Dancing and
    High Art. Recent reviews include Dead Like Me Season 1, Monster, The
    Company, Paycheck, The Great Escape and The Girl with a Pear Earring.
    Updates to the DVD database, including release specifications usually made
    twice daily.

    Please stop by and visit.
    Thank you.

    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/

    Doug MacLean, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Doug MacLean

    Brian Guest

    Season 2, Volume 1 for Lost in Space? What in the word is that? Why would
    they split it up?

    "Doug MacLean" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > King Of The Ants (Vanguard)
    >
    > Columbia/TriStar has announced a few releases for August 31st:
    > Annie: A Royal Adventure
    > Physical Evidence
    > Relentless
    > Relentless 2: Dead On
    >
    > Columbia also has set for that data the recent Tom Selleck tele-flick,

    Ike:
    > Countdown to D-Day. The technical specifications are Dolby Surround and
    > anamorphic video. The list price is $24.95.
    >
    > Pacific Media will release an Un-Rated and 'R' rated version of Latter

    Days.
    > Set for a September 7th release it is schedule to be presented in Dolby
    > Stereo and letterbox video. No word yet as to whether it will be

    anamorphic.
    > The list price will be $24.95 for either variation.
    >
    > Stop by for a complete downloadable information list of all region one

    DVDs

    Brian, Jun 28, 2004

  3. >Season 2, Volume 1 for Lost in Space? What in the word is that? Why would
    >they split it up?

    because the bozos in this newsgroup said not to buy it (season 1) because they
    used the VHS tapes as masters for these dvd's instead of using the film masters
    as every other dvd does.

    So a lot of people didn't buy it because of the reviews in this newsgroup.

    As a consequence, Fox said that since sales of season 1 weren't good, they
    would split season 2 in half in the hopes that the lower price of the sets
    would attract more buyers (even though the total cost for both volume 1 and 2
    of season 2 is way more than if it was released as all of season 2).

    People don't want VHS quality anymore. They want dvd quality.

    Simply transferring VHS masters to dvd is the reason it didn't sell well on dvd
    as other tv series do.

    Waterperson77, Jun 28, 2004
  4. >Season 2, Volume 1 for Lost in Space? What in the word is that? Why would
    >they split it up?

    If the bozos in this newsgroup had never said that season 1 of it on dvd was
    mastered from VHS instead of film, it would have sold better, and since you
    can't return dvd's after they're opened except as an exchange for the very same
    title, and the discs weren't "defecctive" (they were purposely mastered that
    way from VHS, so not a defect), the sales would have counted and season 2 would
    have been rreleased as an entitre dvd set.

    But since the bozos in this newsgroup said that the season 1 dvd's were
    mastered from VHS instead of film, everyone in these newsgroups knew about it
    ahead of time and avoided purchasing the season 1 set of "Lost in Space" in the
    first place, for that very reason.

    Fox then decided that the bad sales were from the price of a season set being
    too high, and decided to split season 2 into two volumes instead of one so that
    people would be more willing to buy it since it is a lower price (at a time).
    and overlooking the fact that the overall price for both volume 1 of season 2
    and bvolume 2 of season 2 is a lot higher than if it was released as just a
    single set containing the entire season 2.

    If the bozos in this newsgroup had kept their mouths shut (or fingers away from
    the keyboards), then this would not have happened. and you would have seen an
    entire season 2 released in one box set.

    Waterperson77, Jun 28, 2004
  5. Doug MacLean

    Video Flyer Guest

    Re: New releases: Angel, Lost in Space, Ike: Updated complete R1DVD DB & info lists

    On 6/28/04 12:21 PM, in article
    , "Waterperson77"
    <> wrote:

    >> Season 2, Volume 1 for Lost in Space? What in the word is that? Why would
    >> they split it up?
    >>

    > But since the bozos in this newsgroup said that the season 1 dvd's were
    > mastered from VHS instead of film, everyone in these newsgroups knew about it
    > ahead of time and avoided purchasing the season 1 set of "Lost in Space" in
    > the
    > first place, for that very reason.

    Yeah! Sing it louder, man! I don't need nobody rescuing ME from purchasing
    inferior quality VHS transfers. I WANT low-res. That's why I started
    purchasing DVDs in the first place - I want the cleanest, most pristine
    possible copies of fuzzy images.

    Butt out, bozos! :p

    *snicker*

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Jun 28, 2004
  6. Doug MacLean

    Justin Guest

    Video Flyer wrote on [Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:10:03 GMT]:
    > On 6/28/04 12:21 PM, in article
    > , "Waterperson77"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Season 2, Volume 1 for Lost in Space? What in the word is that? Why would
    >>> they split it up?
    >>>

    >> But since the bozos in this newsgroup said that the season 1 dvd's were
    >> mastered from VHS instead of film, everyone in these newsgroups knew about it
    >> ahead of time and avoided purchasing the season 1 set of "Lost in Space" in
    >> the
    >> first place, for that very reason.
    >>

    > Yeah! Sing it louder, man! I don't need nobody rescuing ME from purchasing
    > inferior quality VHS transfers. I WANT low-res. That's why I started
    > purchasing DVDs in the first place - I want the cleanest, most pristine
    > possible copies of fuzzy images.
    >
    > Butt out, bozos! :p
    >
    > *snicker*

    Of course, this newsgroup alone was what made the sales lackluster.

    Justin, Jun 28, 2004
  7. Doug MacLean

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << If the bozos in this newsgroup had kept their mouths shut (or fingers away
    from
    the keyboards), then this would not have happened. >>

    I really think you're kidding yourself if you think the demographics from any
    newsgroup are enough to sway sales. I think it's probably closer to the truth
    that about 98% of those folks buying DVDS -- or not -- in your typical BestBuy
    couldn't get on a newsgroup to save their life.

    SoHillsGuy, Jun 28, 2004
  8. Doug MacLean

    Video Flyer Guest

    Re: New releases: Angel, Lost in Space, Ike: Updated complete R1DVD DB & info lists

    On 6/28/04 1:50 PM, in article 2go.com,
    "Justin" <> wrote:

    > Video Flyer wrote on [Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:10:03 GMT]:
    >> On 6/28/04 12:21 PM, in article
    >> , "Waterperson77"

    >>> But since the bozos in this newsgroup said that the season 1 dvd's were
    >>> mastered from VHS instead of film, everyone in these newsgroups knew about
    >>> it
    >>> ahead of time and avoided purchasing the season 1 set of "Lost in Space" in
    >>> the
    >>> first place, for that very reason.
    >>>

    >> Yeah! Sing it louder, man! I don't need nobody rescuing ME from purchasing
    >> inferior quality VHS transfers. I WANT low-res. That's why I started
    >> purchasing DVDs in the first place - I want the cleanest, most pristine
    >> possible copies of fuzzy images.
    >>
    >> Butt out, bozos! :p
    >>
    >> *snicker*

    > Of course, this newsgroup alone was what made the sales lackluster.

    Oh, well, yes. Of course. That went without saying. :)

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Jun 28, 2004
  9. Doug MacLean

    Ronald Cole Guest

    (Waterperson77) writes:
    >>Season 2, Volume 1 for Lost in Space? What in the word is that? Why would
    >>they split it up?
    >>

    > because the bozos in this newsgroup said not to buy it (season 1) because they
    > used the VHS tapes as masters for these dvd's instead of using the film masters
    > as every other dvd does.
    >
    > So a lot of people didn't buy it because of the reviews in this newsgroup.
    >
    > As a consequence, Fox said that since sales of season 1 weren't good, they
    > would split season 2 in half in the hopes that the lower price of the sets
    > would attract more buyers (even though the total cost for both volume 1 and 2
    > of season 2 is way more than if it was released as all of season 2).
    >
    > People don't want VHS quality anymore. They want dvd quality.
    >
    > Simply transferring VHS masters to dvd is the reason it didn't sell well on dvd
    > as other tv series do.

    And once again, when we don't buy it, the cheap bastards at Fox won't
    take the hint... stupid corporate fucks.

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    Ronald Cole, Jun 30, 2004
  10. Doug MacLean

    Larry Gold Guest

    Over in the UK we are still getting the season box sets, so maybe we are
    buying more Lost in Space than you are?

    --
    Larry.gold
    Arsenal For Life

    "Ronald Cole" <> wrote in message
    > (Waterperson77) writes:
    > >>Season 2, Volume 1 for Lost in Space? What in the word is that? Why

    would
    > >>they split it up?
    > >>

    > > because the bozos in this newsgroup said not to buy it (season 1)

    because they
    > > used the VHS tapes as masters for these dvd's instead of using the film

    masters
    > > as every other dvd does.
    > >
    > > So a lot of people didn't buy it because of the reviews in this

    newsgroup.

    > > As a consequence, Fox said that since sales of season 1 weren't good,

    they
    > > would split season 2 in half in the hopes that the lower price of the

    sets
    > > would attract more buyers (even though the total cost for both volume 1

    and 2
    > > of season 2 is way more than if it was released as all of season 2).
    > >
    > > People don't want VHS quality anymore. They want dvd quality.
    > >
    > > Simply transferring VHS masters to dvd is the reason it didn't sell well

    on dvd
    > > as other tv series do.

    > And once again, when we don't buy it, the cheap bastards at Fox won't
    > take the hint... stupid corporate fucks.
    >
    > --
    > Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA 93556-1412
    > Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    > President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
    > My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084 4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B

    ---

    Larry Gold, Jul 11, 2004
  11. Doug MacLean

    Bailin Guest

    Could be, but season one was a bit overpriced for what it presented. I
    would have ramped up the price a bit for one, two and three. Maybe
    bring season one out at $35USD, season two at $40 and season three at
    $45USD (a small price to pay for a pristine and unedited copy of "The
    Great Vegetble Rebellion").

    But the lack of extras and commentary certainly left me with a bad
    taste. Commentary by Mumy, Cartwright and Kristen would have been
    great.

    In article <CheIc.299$>, Larry Gold
    <> wrote:

    > Over in the UK we are still getting the season box sets, so maybe we are
    > buying more Lost in Space than you are?

    --
    Don't eat yellow dirt.

    Bailin, Aug 3, 2004