New Releases: Airplane flicks, more two packs: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug MacLean, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    Universal has some films bundled with their sequels set for release on March
    2nd. Included are Dragonheart: 2 Legendary Tales (Dragonheart / Dragonheart:
    A New Beginning), Flintstones Yabba-Dabba (Flintstones / Flintstones In Viva
    Rock Vegas) and Problem Child Tantrum 2-Pack (Problem Child / Problem Child
    2). Each set has a retail price of $19.98.

    Universal also has a few titles they took over from the discontinued lines
    of other studios. These include King Ralph, Mad Dog And Glory as well as
    Melvin And Howard each running $14.98.

    From Sony Music on December 2nd you can get Dixie Chicks: Top Of The World
    Tour Live, Judas Priest: Electric Eye and Rage Against The Machine: Live At
    The Grand Olympic for $14.98. There is also Rage Against The Machine: Live
    At The Grand (DVD/CD) for $19.98.

    The television series foray by Billy Ray Cyrus, Doc, will have its release
    on DVD on February 2nd. Its listed as the first season but it looks like it
    only had one. Extras are listed as Trailers; Bloopers; Interview Footage:
    Billy Ray Cyrus-From Music to Medicine. The suggested price is $39.95.

    Studio Works has announced Wiseguy: Season 1: Part 2 for release on December
    30th retailing for $69.99.

    Classic Pictures has announced that Rick Wakeman: Out There has been
    cancelled. No future release date is pending.

    Universal has several animated short collections prepared for release on
    February 10th. Included are Good Night Maisy, Franklin: Favorite Turtle
    Tales, Playtime Maisy and Good Morning Maisy each retailing at $14.98. They
    also have, set for the same date, some comedy collections The Adventures Of
    Ma And Pa Kettle: Vol. 1 and Best Of Abbott & Costello: Vol. 1.

    Also on February 10th all four of the the Airport flicks, Airport Terminal
    Pack. This set includes Airport, Airport '75, Airport '77 and Airport '79.
    The set should be in anamorphic video with Dolby Surround audio. Retail
    price is set for $24.98.

    Both the 1934 and 1959 versions of Imitation Of Life will come out from
    Universal, also on February 10th. Suggested price is $19.98 and it is
    scheduled for both movies to be in the original aspect ratios.

    Adding to their collection of double feature packs, Universal has slated for
    January 6th; 2 Fast 2 Furious (Widescreen) / Spy Game (Widescreen /
    Collector's Edition) (2-Pack), 8 Mile (Widescreen / Edited Supplement) / How
    High (Special Edition) (2-Pack), Biker Boyz (Widescreen) / Head Of State
    (Widescreen / Special Edition) (2-Pack), Mummy Returns (Collector's Edition)
    / The Musketeer (2-Pack), Scarface (Anniversary Edition / Widescreen) / Fast
    And The Furious: Tricked Out Edition (Widescreen) and Scorpion King
    (Collector's Edition) / Brotherhood Of The Wolf (2-Pack). As in the recent
    other two packs from Universal each set will go for $32.95 and basically are
    the exact same technical specifications of the original single film
    releases.

    in several formats as well as daily changes. The official list now features
    34,945 titles with 373 additions or changes and 279 Pre-Release
    announcements. The All Titles list has 35,224 titles. Recent releases
    include: Last Week 220, This Week 272and Next Week 273 titles.

    Previews of X2: X-Men United, Hulk, Avril Lavigne: My World and of Reviews
    of Indy Collection, Taken, Sopranos Season 4, Matrix Reloaded,
    Scarface(1983), Scarface (1932), Smallville, In Cold Blood, Kiss Symphony,
    The Two Towers, Chicago and All That Jazz. Past film reviews include Wait
    Until Dark, Them, May, Phone Booth, Spun, Real Women Have Curves, The Day
    the Earth Stood Still , Them, Usual Suspects and Gormenghast . Coming titles
    listed before
    all the specs are in can be found in a new list,
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/pre-releases.htm

    Updated lists for discontinued, cancelled, postponed and rescheduled titles
    as well as lists for DTS, ES/EX and Superbit titles. UPC numbers and
    original release dates now being added to the database. There is also a
    greatly expanded list of titles that were rescheduled or reissued. Search
    function for the database, (now including UPC search) complements of site
    partner and friend, Michael's Movie Mayhem
    (http://kazart.com/mec/DVDList2.html) and DVDLister.

    Updates to the DVD database, including release specs usually made twice
    daily.

    Please stop by and visit.
    Thank you.
    --
    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com
    Doug MacLean, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Doug MacLean

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <lzHob.61729$> in
    alt.video.dvd, Doug MacLean <> wrote:
    >Universal has some films bundled with their sequels set for release on March
    >2nd. Included are Dragonheart: 2 Legendary Tales (Dragonheart / Dragonheart:
    >A New Beginning), Flintstones Yabba-Dabba (Flintstones / Flintstones In Viva
    >Rock Vegas) and Problem Child Tantrum 2-Pack (Problem Child / Problem Child
    >2). Each set has a retail price of $19.98.

    I will not buy another Universal disc until they publicly repudiate
    the practice of putting in mandatory commercials.

    Yes, I am aware that some players can get around the commercials by
    various key pressed; but others cannot (or cannot unless you are
    quick on the trigger after inserting the disc).

    Particularly egregious is the practice of playing commercials after
    you get the menu screen and select "play movie". If memory serves,
    /Far from Heaven/ did this.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Doug MacLean

    Mike McGee Guest

    In article <>, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    > I will not buy another Universal disc until they publicly repudiate
    > the practice of putting in mandatory commercials.
    >
    > Yes, I am aware that some players can get around the commercials by
    > various key pressed; but others cannot (or cannot unless you are
    > quick on the trigger after inserting the disc).

    Just hit STOP when you see the "Warning" message. Then hit MENU.

    Works.

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Mike McGee
    Mike McGee, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Doug MacLean

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article
    <011120031526478113%admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> in
    alt.video.dvd, Mike McGee <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com>
    wrote:
    >In article <>, Stan Brown
    ><> wrote:
    >> but others cannot (or cannot unless you are
    >> quick on the trigger after inserting the disc).

    >Just hit STOP when you see the "Warning" message. Then hit MENU.

    If, as I said, you are quick on the trigger.

    But I don't believe that it has been established whether that trick
    works on all players. And even if it does, at the rate things are
    going Universal will find a way to disable it.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Nov 2, 2003