New Releases: 28 Days Later, More Hulk TV: Updated complete R1 DVD DB & info lists

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug MacLean, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. Doug MacLean

    Doug MacLean Guest

    Universal has a two pack of The Fast and The Furious / 2 Fast 2 Furious due
    out. On September 3rd it will be released as a two sided disc, on September
    30th a side by side version. Each date will have both Pan & Scan as well as
    anamorphic widescreen. Both have Dolby 5.1 and DTS audio. The suggested
    price for any of the above is $39.98.

    Universal also has Incredible Hulk: The Television Series Ultimate
    Collection set for the increasing popular date of October 21st. The set is
    listed as having 985 minutes of the show which translates to about 22
    episodes. The cost is $69.98.

    Warner Brothers has Cambridge Spies set for December 2nd. For November 4th
    two Biblical special interest discs Empires: Kingdom of David and Empires:
    Peter and Paul.

    From Crash Entertainment: Holy Robe of Shaolin Temple, The Power Of Five
    Collection: Lady Whirlwind Against The Rangers, Battle Of Shaolin: Power Of
    Five Collection, Ways Of Kung Fu: Power Of Five Collection, Ten Tigers Of
    Shaolin: Power Of Five Collection and Beat Girl all set for next week,
    August 12th.

    A couple of announcement updates. Pioneer is now listing Judy Collins:
    Christmas At The Biltmore Estate and Paul Simon: Live At The Tower Theatre
    set for release on October 14th and October 28 respectively, as having Dolby
    EX seven channel audio. Anchor Bay's Hills Have Eyes (Special Edition) due
    out on September 23rd is listed as 5.1 EX/DTS 6.1 ES.

    Coming from Showtime are Charms For The Easy Life, Power And Beauty and
    Strange Relations on November 4th; Deacons For Defense and Outsider for
    November 18th. All have initially announced full screen and stereo. Each is
    $24.98.

    On November 18th MGM/UA has plans to release James Bond Collection #2
    (Special Edition) and James Bond Collection #3 (Special Edition). Contained
    in collection two are; From Russia With Love, You Only Live Twice, Diamonds
    Are Forever, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights and The
    World Is Not Enough. For collection three; Thunderball, On Her Majesty's
    Secret Service, Live And Let Die, Octopussy, A View To A Kill and Die
    Another Day. Each set will go for $124.95. For those Ian Fleming fans with
    children you may want to look into Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Special Edition)
    due out on November 25th with 5.1 audio and both pan and scan and anamorphic
    video versions.

    On October 21st the film 28 Days Later will be released. Following the
    growing trend there will be both a pan & scan version (UPC 024543097709) and
    an anamorphic version (UPC 024543088172). Both will have Dolby 5.1 audio.
    The listed extras are; Director and Writer Commentary; 3 Alternate Endings;
    Deleted Scenes; Pure Rage: The Making of Featurette; Production stills
    gallery; Jacknife Lee music video: Animated Story Boards; Theatrical Teaser;
    Theatrical Trailer. Cost is scheduled to be $27.98.

    Coming back out of the sewer thanks to Funmation; Teenage Mutant Ninja
    Turtles: The Shredder Strikes and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Way Of
    Invisibility set for October 28th for $16.98 each. For September 2nd there
    is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1: Attack Of The Mousers and Teenage Mutant
    Ninja Turtles #2: Meet Casey Jones. They also have Blue Gender: Box Set due
    September 28th.

    October 21st will see Artisan release of several titles including; Lobster
    Man From Mars, Promised Land, Chicago Joe And The Showgirl, Dream A Little
    Dream, Brush With Fate, Loco Love and Amandla.

    A.D. Vision has Farscape: The Complete Season #2 ready for release on
    October 28th for $149.98. No word yet as to any extras.

    in several formats as well as daily changes. The official list now
    features31,167 titles with 321 additions or changes and 629 Pre-Release
    announcements. The All Titles list has 31,798 titles. Reent releases
    include: Last Week 207, This Week 198 and Next Week 293 titles.

    Featured review this week is Daredevil, preview of Chicago DVDs. Recent film
    reviews include Them, May, Phone Booth, Gangs of New York, It Came From
    Beneath the Sea, Children of Dune, The Hulk Original TV Pilot, Harry Potter
    and the Chamber of Secrets, , Killing Me Softly, Real Women Have Curves, The
    Day the Earth Stood Still , Invaders From Mars (1953), Usual
    Suspects and Gormenghast . Coming titles listed before all the specs are in
    can be found in a new list, http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/pre-releases.htm

    Updated lists for discontinued, cancelled, postponed and rescheduled titles
    as well as lists for DTS, ES/EX and Superbit titles. UPC numbers and
    original release dates now being added to the database. There is also a
    greatly expanded list of titles that were rescheduled or reissued. Search
    function for the database, (now including UPC search) complements of site
    partner and friend, Michael's Movie Mayhem
    (http://kazart.com/mec/DVDList2.html) and DVDLister.

    Updates to the DVD database, including release specs usually made twice
    daily.

    Please stop by and visit.
    Thank you.
    --
    Doug MacLean
    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com

    Doug MacLean, Aug 9, 2003

  2. Doug MacLean

    Sir Voice Guest

    Ultimately stupid Hulk Collection

    > > > Universal also has Incredible Hulk: The Television Series Ultimate
    > > > Collection set for the increasing popular date of October 21st. The set

    > is
    > > > listed as having 985 minutes of the show which translates to about 22
    > > > episodes. The cost is $69.98.

    > > *sigh*
    > > Why don't they start releasing these in proper season by season sets?
    > > This mix of random episodes they keep smacking us with is getting really
    > > tired.

    > Just give 'em time. They probably will, you know - milk it for all its
    > $$worth$$.

    I'd love to see the figures on these best of collections sales. Do
    they sell better than season box sets? If I just wanted a bunch of
    episodes I doubt I'd care if it was a best of collection or season
    set. So it doesn't add any more appeal to that audience. And it's
    definitely going to loose those buyers who want season sets. I'm not
    going to buy a random best of box set for $60. The beauty of having
    the seasons on DVD (besides watching them) is being able to watch the
    shows in order and follow the larger storyline. You miss out on any
    continued threads from episode to episode. Even with comedy like Mary
    Tyler Moore or M.A.S.H. it's a lot more enjoyable watching the
    character progressions. And it's especially true in shows like Star
    Trek, Buck Rogers, or Battlestar Galactica. Imagine if some bright
    marketing exec. decided to release a Best of 24 set... don't laugh, it
    could happen.

    mrG

    Sir Voice, Aug 11, 2003

  3. Re: New Releases: 28 Days Later, More Hulk TV: Updated complete R1DVD DB & info lists

    SRT wrote:

    >>> Universal also has Incredible Hulk: The Television Series Ultimate
    >>>Collection set for the increasing popular date of October 21st. The set is
    >>>listed as having 985 minutes of the show which translates to about 22
    >>>episodes. The cost is $69.98.

    >>*sigh*
    >>
    >>Why don't they start releasing these in proper season by season sets?
    >>This mix of random episodes they keep smacking us with is getting really
    >>tired.

    > Just give 'em time. They probably will, you know - milk it for all its
    > $$worth$$.

    And, like Warner, when they find out that "Best Of"'s don't sell anymore--
    But still want to bravely promote the icon license despite the movie damage.

    Derek Janssen (it must have come as a great shock to them)

    Derek Janssen, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Doug MacLean

    Me Guest

    Re: Ultimately stupid Hulk Collection

    > The beauty of having
    > the seasons on DVD (besides watching them) is being able to watch the
    > shows in order and follow the larger storyline.

    Is there one?

    > You miss out on any continued threads from episode to episode.

    Were there any?

    As far as I remember, these shows were the same thing week after week with
    no character progression and no change in circumstances. You KNEW he'd
    defeat the bad guy (who was always a common criminal, never a
    super-villain), you KNEW Mr. McGoo wouldn't catch him, you KNEW he'd never
    find a cure.

    So what was the point of watching it?

    Allan

    Me, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Re: Ultimately stupid Hulk Collection

    Me wrote:

    > As far as I remember, these shows were the same thing week after week with
    > no character progression and no change in circumstances. You KNEW he'd
    > defeat the bad guy (who was always a common criminal, never a
    > super-villain), you KNEW Mr. McGoo wouldn't catch him

    And since nobody's traditionally quoted the Mad Magazine gag yet:
    "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry..."
    "You wanna see angry?--Try my editors! I've been on this story for two
    years and all I've got is THIS! [holds up headline]"

    (...Yes, remember way back when movies and TV shows thought the Weekly
    World News actually sent out *reporters* to cover UFO stories?)

    > So what was the point of watching it?

    It was a really cool superhero, just like the Superman movie! ;)
    (And besides, Kenneth Johnson had a really big hit with "The Bionic Woman"!)

    Derek Janssen (well, okay, he DID have "Alien Nation: the Series", but
    still)

    Derek Janssen, Aug 11, 2003
  6. Doug MacLean

    Stan Brown Guest

    Re: Ultimately stupid Hulk Collection

    In article <> in
    alt.video.dvd, Sir Voice <> wrote:
    >I'd love to see the figures on these best of collections sales. Do
    >they sell better than season box sets?

    The figures would be meaningless unless the two are released on the
    same day, which I don't think ever happens.

    As it is, some people who _would_ have bought a season set if it
    were available buy a best-of because it's all they can get, and then
    later when the season set comes out they don't want to pay for it
    when they already have some of the episodes on their best-of. I have
    no idea how big a percentage that is, but it's surely significantly
    above zero.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Aug 12, 2003