    I smell something fishy.

    Anyone have any ideas? Normal troubleshooting methods that have always
    worked in the past simply do NOT now.

    Clarke, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Clarke

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Clarke <> wrote in news:10ur4gpq4ib9j85
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I am a tech support rep for an ISP. Over the last week or so, there
    > have been many people calling in who are not able to surf. IM programs
    > work fine. Email/Web does not. Doesn't matter if it's DSL or dial-up,
    > and it's not just the ISP I work for, as I have heard about customers of
    > other ISPs experiencing the same problem all of a sudden. We've brought
    > a couple of machines in to try to fix - system restore either does not
    > do the trick or does not work at all. When we install Ad-Aware, SS&D,
    > etc., they cannot connect to the update servers.
    >
    > I smell something fishy.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? Normal troubleshooting methods that have always
    > worked in the past simply do NOT now.

    You can use the tools in the link like Process Explorer to look at running
    processes and look inside a running process to see what processes are using
    a process like a hidden malware process.

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Clarke

    Clarke Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > Clarke <> wrote in news:10ur4gpq4ib9j85
    > @corp.supernews.com:
    >

    >>Hey, all.
    >>
    >>I am a tech support rep for an ISP. Over the last week or so, there
    >>have been many people calling in who are not able to surf. IM programs
    >>work fine. Email/Web does not. Doesn't matter if it's DSL or dial-up,
    >>and it's not just the ISP I work for, as I have heard about customers of
    >>other ISPs experiencing the same problem all of a sudden. We've brought
    >>a couple of machines in to try to fix - system restore either does not
    >>do the trick or does not work at all. When we install Ad-Aware, SS&D,
    >>etc., they cannot connect to the update servers.
    >>
    >>I smell something fishy.
    >>
    >>Anyone have any ideas? Normal troubleshooting methods that have always
    >>worked in the past simply do NOT now.
    >>

    > You can use the tools in the link like Process Explorer to look at running
    > processes and look inside a running process to see what processes are using
    > a process like a hidden malware process.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/klw1
    >
    > Duane :)

    Thanks, Duane - I will give Process Explorer a try. Kudos on using
    "process" six times in one sentence. ;)

    Has anyone else had an increase of this problem?

    Clarke, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Clarke wrote:
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I am a tech support rep for an ISP. Over the last week or so, there
    > have been many people calling in who are not able to surf. IM programs
    > work fine. Email/Web does not. Doesn't matter if it's DSL or dial-up,
    > and it's not just the ISP I work for, as I have heard about customers of
    > other ISPs experiencing the same problem all of a sudden. We've brought
    > a couple of machines in to try to fix - system restore either does not
    > do the trick or does not work at all. When we install Ad-Aware, SS&D,
    > etc., they cannot connect to the update servers.
    >
    > I smell something fishy.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? Normal troubleshooting methods that have always
    > worked in the past simply do NOT now.

    I've seen this quite a bit, usually in spyware/virus damaged operating
    systems. Usually running a Winsock fix will do the job, but that's after
    getting rid of all the crapware.

    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 19, 2005