    Hello,
    I'm interested in changing careers and getting into the IT profession. Is
    the MCDST certification the first step to get my foot in the door?
    Fran, Sep 13, 2007

  2. "Fran" <> wrote in message
    news:#...
    > Hello,
    > I'm interested in changing careers and getting into the IT profession. Is
    > the MCDST certification the first step to get my foot in the door?

    Fran,

    As you'll soon find out, there are many misconceptions
    about certifications; one of them being that you'll get a job by having them.

    I'm not trying to dissuade you from earning certifications, because they do have
    their worth, just make sure you're earning them for the right reasons.

    Here are a couple articles written by some good friends of mine that may help
    you on your path to certification.

    Certifications Alone do not Make the Pro by Mitch D. Garvis, MCT
    http://www.certguard.com/Certifications-Alone-Do-Not-Make-the-Pro.asp

    Why Certify? by Michael D. Alligood
    http://www.certguard.com/Why-Certify.asp

    Seven Steps to Certification Success by Michael D. Alligood
    http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps-to-Certification-Success.asp

    We have other Articles that may also interest you on this page
    http://www.certguard.com/Articles.asp and we have many resources dedicated to
    keeping individuals away from the illegal study materials on the internet.

    Good Luck on your Certifications!!

    --
    CertGuard
    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Sep 13, 2007

  3. Fran

    Fran Guest

    Thanks you for the information. It was very helpful. In one of the articles
    it mentions to volunteer, how do you go about finding a place to volunteer?
    Most large companies, if you asked them would look at you like you were
    crazy. Especially in this day and age

    ..

    Fran, Sep 14, 2007
  4. Fran

    TheITGirl Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    > "Fran" <> prattled ceaselessly in
    >
    >> Thanks you for the information. It was very helpful. In one of the
    >> articles it mentions to volunteer, how do you go about finding a place
    >> to volunteer? Most large companies, if you asked them would look at
    >> you like you were crazy. Especially in this day and age
    >>

    > Don't volunteer to work for corporations. Volunteer to help non-profits.
    > United Way and Volunteer Match both have ways to connect volunteers with
    > organizations.
    >

    > --
    > Catwalker
    > MCNGP #43
    > www.mcngp.com
    > "Definitely not wearing any underwear."

    Hi Fran

    I successfully made the career change from legal secretary to IT - it
    **can** be done!

    Unfortunately, it isn't an easy field to break into, as most advertised jobs
    require some experience. You may be lucky and find a trainee position or
    student placement (which will not be very well paid, unfortunately), or you
    may need to check out volunteer opportunities, as suggested by Robert and
    Cat.

    Good luck!

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Sep 14, 2007
  5. "Fran" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks you for the information. It was very helpful. In one of the articles it
    > mentions to volunteer, how do you go about finding a place to volunteer? Most
    > large companies, if you asked them would look at you like you were crazy.
    > Especially in this day and age
    >
    > .

    I would definitely take the advice of catwalker and ITGirl.

    Being that you're in the US, there are HUNDREDS of Not for profit organizations
    that strive off of volunteers and often hire those individuals if both parties
    are satisfied.

    A good place to start is Google. I used keywords such as "volunteer",
    "non-profit", and "orgs"

    This is just one place that turned up in my search:
    http://www.volunteermatch.org/

    Good Luck on your endeavor!

    --
    CertGuard
    http://www.CertGuard.com
    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Sep 14, 2007