New Problems DOS + Monitor

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by teak, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. teak

    teak Guest

    It seems that one needs a perfectly good monitor to see how things
    worked, I used, three bad ones in a row. Yuk! But now it works, and I
    built it by scratch. I am so proud of my accomplishment. I finally
    proved to myself I could do it. So you newbies out there be patient
    and keep stroking.

    My new computer will not change Directories on dos, C/:> CD A: will
    not bring me to A: drive, yet I can detect what is on my directory. I
    implented a slave unit too. Drive D:, it works!
    I can detect what is on all drives, but can not change to them, maybe
    I can work them on C prompt.

    And I need to change the Color on my monitor It only takes 16 bits,
    and I had better then that on my last monitor. I would like to be able
    to get that 600 X 800 thing again, any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Tino

    teak, Jun 4, 2004

  2. teak

    Geoff Guest

    teak wrote:
    > It seems that one needs a perfectly good monitor to see how things
    > worked, I used, three bad ones in a row. Yuk! But now it works, and I
    > built it by scratch. I am so proud of my accomplishment. I finally
    > proved to myself I could do it. So you newbies out there be patient
    > and keep stroking.
    >
    > My new computer will not change Directories on dos, C/:> CD A: will
    > not bring me to A: drive, yet I can detect what is on my directory. I
    > implented a slave unit too. Drive D:, it works!
    > I can detect what is on all drives, but can not change to them, maybe
    > I can work them on C prompt.
    >
    > And I need to change the Color on my monitor It only takes 16 bits,
    > and I had better then that on my last monitor. I would like to be able
    > to get that 600 X 800 thing again, any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tino

    cd = change directory not change drive
    if you want to change drive just type the letter
    like this
    a:

    however if you where to do cd like that you could use it for something like
    this:

    ---

    C:\>cd e:\temp

    C:\>copy autoexec.bat e:
    1 file(s) copied.

    C:\>e:

    E:\temp>dir
    Volume in drive E is QD8-A1
    Volume Serial Number is 1234-5678

    Directory of E:\temp

    04/06/2004 04:31 PM <DIR> .
    04/06/2004 04:31 PM <DIR> ..
    05/10/2003 09:39 PM 0 AUTOEXEC.BAT
    1 File(s) 0 bytes
    3 Dir(s) 1,333,395,456 bytes free

    E:\temp>

    ---

    a better way to do this would be

    copy autoexec.bat e:\temp
    as this tells the copy command exactyly where to put the file

    prob the most use dos is these days if for installing win9x machines, boot
    off the win98se cd
    boot with cd support and do this:

    (assuming you did fdisk and then format first)

    md c:\win98
    copy e:\win98\*.* c:\win98 (i think it makes e the cdrom drive letter i
    forget)
    c:
    cd win98
    setup
    ---

    oh ya, the serial number 1234-5678 on that hdd above is not edited in any
    way, try work out how i have it :)

    Geoff, Jun 4, 2004

  3. teak

    AG Guest

    "teak" <> wrote in message
    > It seems that one needs a perfectly good monitor to see how things
    > worked, I used, three bad ones in a row. Yuk! But now it works, and I
    > built it by scratch. I am so proud of my accomplishment. I finally
    > proved to myself I could do it. So you newbies out there be patient
    > and keep stroking.
    >
    > My new computer will not change Directories on dos, C/:> CD A: will
    > not bring me to A: drive, yet I can detect what is on my directory. I
    > implented a slave unit too. Drive D:, it works!
    > I can detect what is on all drives, but can not change to them, maybe
    > I can work them on C prompt.
    >
    > And I need to change the Color on my monitor It only takes 16 bits,
    > and I had better then that on my last monitor. I would like to be able
    > to get that 600 X 800 thing again, any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tino

    What OS are you using? Just DOS? If so what version? Is a full install or
    did you just SYS the drive with a boot disk? It sounds like you need to put
    in the video card drivers.
    AG

    AG, Jun 9, 2004
  4. teak

    A Guest

    Hey - just type A: at the C:> prompt to get to the A: prompt

    CD\ just takes you back a level use X: where X is the drive you want to
    change to.

    As for the video card, have you installed the driver?

    A, Jun 11, 2004