    shut down with the power button and restart and all is well. Can anyone
    tell me why this is happening?

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 2, 2004

  2. LeAnn

    Hank Guest

    "LeAnn" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Ok I just bought the HP A305w-b from Walmart. At first boot I got the
    > message 'operating system not found'. I ctrl+alt+deleted a couple
    > times, same message. Shut it down with the power button and XP loaded
    > fine at restart. Next morning I turn on the computer, same message,
    > shut down with the power button and restart and all is well. Can anyone
    > tell me why this is happening?
    >
    > LeAnn

    Well if you lucky it's only a lose cable. There's no telling what that poor
    thing has been through by those highly trained shipping and receiving boys
    there at your local Walmart. I'd crack open the case and make sure the IDE
    ribbon cable is seated nice and tight on the back of the harddrive and also
    at the other end on the motherboard. Also check the power cable on the HD
    and make sure it's nice and tight. If that don't do it I'd take that sucker
    back. There isn't a do not remove or void your warranty sticker on the back
    or anything is there? Good Luck!

    Hank

    Hank, Jan 2, 2004

  3. LeAnn

    LeAnn Guest

    Thanks, I'll check the cables and if I get brave I'll open up the case.
    I've shut down and restarted a few times with no problem so maybe it
    corrected itself ;-)

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 2, 2004
  4. LeAnn

    Chet Guest

    "LeAnn" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I'll check the cables and if I get brave I'll open up the case.
    > I've shut down and restarted a few times with no problem so maybe it
    > corrected itself ;-)
    >
    > LeAnn

    Phone installers have a term "came clear" which means "we are closing out
    the service call but don't know what corrected the problem". Get brave and
    open the case and check the cables. Don't ever tug on the ribbon, always
    manipulate the connector.

    Chet, Jan 2, 2004
  5. LeAnn

    LeAnn Guest

    Ok I guess I'll have to do it because it's HAPPENING AGAIN LOL. Stupid
    question....what does the IDE cable look like? Will I know it when I
    see it? Where is it located?

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 2, 2004
  6. LeAnn

    Michael-NC Guest

    DO NOT OPEN THE CASE!!!

    Bring it back to Walmart or call them and _ASK_ what the warranty policy is.

    Michael-NC, Jan 2, 2004
  7. LeAnn

    LeAnn Guest

    Oops too late. I've checked all the cables and everything seems to be
    plugged in firmly, I'm still getting the error intermittently.

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 2, 2004
  8. LeAnn

    mark mandel Guest

    "LeAnn" <> wrote in message
    > Ok I just bought the HP A305w-b from Walmart. At first boot I got the
    > message 'operating system not found'. I ctrl+alt+deleted a couple
    > times, same message. Shut it down with the power button and XP loaded
    > fine at restart. Next morning I turn on the computer, same message,
    > shut down with the power button and restart and all is well. Can anyone
    > tell me why this is happening?
    >
    > LeAnn

    Because you REALLY don't know for sure if this is a hardware or software
    related issue, you'd be wise to notify Walmart about this.
    If you start exploring around and cause some problem on your own, you might
    ruin the warranty.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jan 2, 2004
  9. LeAnn

    LeAnn Guest

    Well I tried the HP instant support thingy (new experience for me LOL)
    and they had me restore the defaults in BIOS. I'm not sure if it fixed
    the problem or not but I've been able to restart a few times with no
    problems. Guess time will tell.

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 2, 2004
  10. LeAnn

    Thor Guest

    time to take it back then.

    Thor, Jan 2, 2004
  11. LeAnn

    LeAnn Guest

    Re: new problem-update

    Well I 'talked' to a lady with HP support about my 'operating system not
    found' problem and she had me restore the defaults in BIOS, which SEEMED
    to work at first but I came back to the computer a couple hours later
    and the computer seemed to be in standby mode? But it froze up when I
    moved the mouse. So I restarted and on restart I got the 'operating
    system not found' error again, and again, and again. So finally when I
    could get Windows to load I inquired with HP support again. The guy had
    me remove most of the stuff from startup and try rebooting. I tried it
    a couple times and so far it seems to be ok but I'm not getting my hopes
    up. Do these HP people know what they're talking about or are they
    idiots like the rest of us?

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 2, 2004
  12. LeAnn

    Hank Guest

    Re: new problem-update

    "LeAnn" <> wrote in message
    > Well I 'talked' to a lady with HP support about my 'operating system not
    > found' problem and she had me restore the defaults in BIOS, which SEEMED
    > to work at first but I came back to the computer a couple hours later
    > and the computer seemed to be in standby mode? But it froze up when I
    > moved the mouse. So I restarted and on restart I got the 'operating
    > system not found' error again, and again, and again. So finally when I
    > could get Windows to load I inquired with HP support again. The guy had
    > me remove most of the stuff from startup and try rebooting. I tried it
    > a couple times and so far it seems to be ok but I'm not getting my hopes
    > up. Do these HP people know what they're talking about or are they
    > idiots like the rest of us?

    They are complete idiots. Why don't you do yourself a favor and cram that
    stuff back in the box and head back to Walmart and either demand your money
    back or get a replacement?????

    Hank

    Hank, Jan 2, 2004
  13. Re: new problem-update

    I can't speak for HP specifically-never dealt with them-but most
    'front-line' support techs either are idiots or are forced to act like
    ones. Everything they do follows a script:

    What's the problem? freezes on return from standby. Enter that into
    database & database responds: remove all programs from startup.

    Support databases are rarely able to combine symptoms-i.e. 'operating
    system not found & freeze on return from standby'. Taken together I'd
    say it's likely a hardware problem although it could be an incorrect
    setting in your CMOS. As a hardware problem it could be a defective hard
    drive, an incorrect jumper setting, or a defective system board. Could
    also be other components but those are the most likely.

    I don't have HP tech manuals so I'm not competent to 'talk you thru'
    diagnosing any of those problems. Since it's new, my advice is to either
    return it or, if you want to continue working with HP tech support to
    fix it yourself, insist on talking to a supervisor when you call back.
    If you can get thru to the second-level of tech support those folks
    usually know what they're doing. First-level might know, but they're
    rarely allowed to deviate from the 'script'.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 2, 2004
  14. LeAnn

    LeAnn Guest

    Re: new problem-update

    If it doesn't start up in the morning then that's what I'll be doing.
    I'm glad I saved all the boxes and packaging!

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 2, 2004
  15. LeAnn

    LeAnn Guest

    Re: new problem-update

    Ya I noticed both techs I talked to said the exact same thing, I felt
    like I was talking to a computer. I plan on returning the computer if I
    continue to have any more problems. Thanks for your help.

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 2, 2004
  16. LeAnn

    Thor Guest

    Re: new problem-update

    "LeAnn" <> wrote in message
    > Well I 'talked' to a lady with HP support about my 'operating system not
    > found' problem and she had me restore the defaults in BIOS, which SEEMED
    > to work at first but I came back to the computer a couple hours later
    > and the computer seemed to be in standby mode? But it froze up when I
    > moved the mouse. So I restarted and on restart I got the 'operating
    > system not found' error again, and again, and again. So finally when I
    > could get Windows to load I inquired with HP support again. The guy had
    > me remove most of the stuff from startup and try rebooting. I tried it
    > a couple times and so far it seems to be ok but I'm not getting my hopes
    > up. Do these HP people know what they're talking about or are they
    > idiots like the rest of us?

    Evidently they are idiots, since anyone who knew what they were doing in the
    first place, would know that playing with the startup apps in windows would
    clearly have no impact on the type of problem you describe. There is most
    likely a hardware issue going on here, not software.

    Thor, Jan 2, 2004
  17. LeAnn

    Thor Guest

    Re: new problem-update

    "LeAnn" <> wrote in message
    > If it doesn't start up in the morning then that's what I'll be doing.
    > I'm glad I saved all the boxes and packaging!
    >
    > LeAnn

    Take it as a golden opportunity to get your money back, and buy a better
    computer instead. Given the fact that in the realm of brand-name computers,
    Dell is better than most, I suggest you look to them instead. HP is trash
    IMHO.

    Thor, Jan 2, 2004
  18. LeAnn

    LeAnn Guest

    Re: new problem-just a thought

    I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but someone
    mentioned that a loose power cable might be the cause of my 'operating
    system not found' error. It occured to me that while I had my old
    computer I was trying to start it up and I heard a 'pop' and the
    computer shut down, and wouldn't not start up again until I plugged it
    into a different outlet. Could the outlet have shorted out? And if so,
    if I have the new computer plugged into the faulty outlet could it cause
    the error I am recieving? I don't really see a connection because it
    seems like if the outlet was faulty then the computer would not start up
    at all but if a loose power cable could cause the problem then why not a
    faulty outlet? Any opinions?

    LeAnn

    LeAnn, Jan 3, 2004
  19. LeAnn

    olfart Guest

    "LeAnn" <> wrote in message
    > I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but someone
    > mentioned that a loose power cable might be the cause of my

    'operating
    > system not found' error. It occured to me that while I had my old
    > computer I was trying to start it up and I heard a 'pop' and the
    > computer shut down, and wouldn't not start up again until I plugged

    it
    > into a different outlet. Could the outlet have shorted out? And if

    so,
    > if I have the new computer plugged into the faulty outlet could it

    cause
    > the error I am recieving? I don't really see a connection because

    it
    > seems like if the outlet was faulty then the computer would not

    start up
    > at all but if a loose power cable could cause the problem then why

    not a
    > faulty outlet? Any opinions?
    >
    > LeAnn
    >
    > LeAnn wrote:
    > > Ok I just bought the HP A305w-b from Walmart. At first boot I got

    the
    > > message 'operating system not found'. I ctrl+alt+deleted a couple
    > > times, same message. Shut it down with the power button and XP

    loaded
    > > fine at restart. Next morning I turn on the computer, same

    message,
    > > shut down with the power button and restart and all is well. Can

    anyone
    > > tell me why this is happening?
    > >
    > > LeAnn

    You're a blonde, aren't you??
    Try it in another outlet and see

    olfart, Jan 3, 2004
  20. LeAnn

    Thor Guest

    "LeAnn" <> wrote in message
    > I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but someone
    > mentioned that a loose power cable might be the cause of my 'operating
    > system not found' error. It occured to me that while I had my old
    > computer I was trying to start it up and I heard a 'pop' and the
    > computer shut down, and wouldn't not start up again until I plugged it
    > into a different outlet. Could the outlet have shorted out? And if so,
    > if I have the new computer plugged into the faulty outlet could it cause
    > the error I am recieving? I don't really see a connection because it
    > seems like if the outlet was faulty then the computer would not start up
    > at all but if a loose power cable could cause the problem then why not a
    > faulty outlet? Any opinions?

    A loose power cable suggstion is for the power cable the plugs into the back
    of the harddrive. Not the main power cable to the computer from the outlet.
    If the harddrive isn't getting power but the rest of the system is, then you
    would get an error message. If the main power cable was loose, the entire
    computer would have difficulty even powering up in the first place. So the
    outlet is unlikely to be the cause of the OS not found message.

    Thor, Jan 3, 2004