  1. Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
    low running costs.

    Cheers ......................... Bb

    Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce, May 14, 2004

  2. Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

    PseUDO Guest

    Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
    > low running costs.
    >
    > Cheers ......................... Bb

    Plenty of models to choose from, but what ever you choose, go for one
    that has separate ink tanks for the colours, that way when one colour
    runs out you just replace the one ink cartridge.

    Some models use a single colour cartridge to house 3 colours, when one
    colour runs out, chances are the other 2 are still ok, but you need to
    ditch the cartridge, which is a waste of money if it still has ink in it.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, May 14, 2004

  3. Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

    Darren Guest

    Go for a Canon, Ink cartridges are much cheaper then anything else.

    Darren

    Darren, May 14, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
    > low running costs.

    Lasers are by far the cheapest to run, look for a second hand Laserjet 4L
    or 5L printer.

    Patrick Dunford, May 14, 2004
  5. In article <AIZoc.5001$>, says...
    > Go for a Canon, Ink cartridges are much cheaper then anything else.

    Yeah sure, but many Canon printers have limited life heads, that will
    work out a lot more expensive if you have to replace the head after every
    5 carts

    Patrick Dunford, May 14, 2004
  6. On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:45:55 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
    >> low running costs.

    >Lasers are by far the cheapest to run, look for a second hand Laserjet 4L
    >or 5L printer.

    Yeah - The reason for the original post is that my ancient (i.e black
    & white) Brother laser, an HL-8e, has developed a most annoying and
    difficult to clear "fuse error". The cartridge is still good, so I'll
    keep a lookout for another which can use the cartridge.
    The Laserjets you mention Patrick- colour ?

    So - I'm about to give in to the kids perssistent requests for a colur
    printer. Hence my opening comment that it needs to be as cheap to run
    as possible.!

    Are these combination units recommended at all.? The scanner option
    could be handy I'd imagine.

    Thanks again folks !

    Bb

    Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce, May 14, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:45:55 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
    > >> low running costs.

    > >Lasers are by far the cheapest to run, look for a second hand Laserjet 4L
    > >or 5L printer.

    > Yeah - The reason for the original post is that my ancient (i.e black
    > & white) Brother laser, an HL-8e, has developed a most annoying and
    > difficult to clear "fuse error". The cartridge is still good, so I'll
    > keep a lookout for another which can use the cartridge.
    > The Laserjets you mention Patrick- colour ?

    Absolutely not. It's difficult to get one new for under $2000.

    > So - I'm about to give in to the kids perssistent requests for a colur
    > printer. Hence my opening comment that it needs to be as cheap to run
    > as possible.!
    >
    > Are these combination units recommended at all.? The scanner option
    > could be handy I'd imagine.

    Somehow I doubt they would fall in your price range, either that or
    extremely tacky.

    Patrick Dunford, May 14, 2004
  8. Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

    John Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:54:14 +1200, Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce
    <> wrote:

    >Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
    >low running costs.

    ex lease laser printer, HP III for $150, catridge $125, will do around
    4000 copys per catridge...

    John, May 14, 2004
  9. On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:12:27 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce wrote:
    >> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
    >> low running costs.
    >>
    >> Cheers ......................... Bb

    >Plenty of models to choose from, but what ever you choose, go for one
    >that has separate ink tanks for the colours, that way when one colour
    >runs out you just replace the one ink cartridge.
    >
    >Some models use a single colour cartridge to house 3 colours, when one
    >colour runs out, chances are the other 2 are still ok, but you need to
    >ditch the cartridge, which is a waste of money if it still has ink in it.
    >
    >PseUDO

    Thanks for this Pseudo - makes a lot of sense. Is there any one brand
    in particular that uses separate colour ink tanks, or do most of the
    makers include such models in their range ?
    I'm off on a tangent at the moment I suspect:
    http://www.itvsn.com.au/include/sweb.dll/product?product=040789&category=50000&site_id=ITVSN
    Price is $AUD, by the way.

    Thanks again ................. Bb

    Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce, May 14, 2004
  10. Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:12:27 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce wrote:
    >> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
    >> low running costs.
    >>
    >> Cheers ......................... Bb

    >Plenty of models to choose from, but what ever you choose, go for one
    >that has separate ink tanks for the colours, that way when one colour
    >runs out you just replace the one ink cartridge.
    >
    >Some models use a single colour cartridge to house 3 colours, when one
    >colour runs out, chances are the other 2 are still ok, but you need to
    >ditch the cartridge, which is a waste of money if it still has ink in it.

    My old Canon BJC3000 seemed to suspiciously run out of all 3 colours around the
    same time.

    Invisible, May 14, 2004
  11. Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

    Darren Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <AIZoc.5001$>, says...
    > > Go for a Canon, Ink cartridges are much cheaper then anything else.

    > Yeah sure, but many Canon printers have limited life heads, that will
    > work out a lot more expensive if you have to replace the head after every
    > 5 carts

    All printers have a "limited head life" I have never come accross any
    printer that heads pack up after 5 carts.
    Anyway if you buy a new printer it will be under warranty.

    Darren

    Darren, May 14, 2004
  12. On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:12:27 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce wrote:
    >> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
    >> low running costs.
    >>
    >> Cheers ......................... Bb

    >Plenty of models to choose from, but what ever you choose, go for one
    >that has separate ink tanks for the colours, that way when one colour
    >runs out you just replace the one ink cartridge.
    >
    >Some models use a single colour cartridge to house 3 colours, when one
    >colour runs out, chances are the other 2 are still ok, but you need to
    >ditch the cartridge, which is a waste of money if it still has ink in it.
    >
    >PseUDO

    The best one to get is the Epson R210..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 14, 2004
  13. In article <Tu0pc.5103$>, says...

    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <AIZoc.5001$>, says...
    > > > Go for a Canon, Ink cartridges are much cheaper then anything else.

    > > Yeah sure, but many Canon printers have limited life heads, that will
    > > work out a lot more expensive if you have to replace the head after every
    > > 5 carts

    > All printers have a "limited head life" I have never come accross any
    > printer that heads pack up after 5 carts.

    Some Canon printers state a new head is needed after five carts.

    > Anyway if you buy a new printer it will be under warranty.

    Heads are specifically excluded in any printer warranty I have ever seen
    as they are a limited life component.

    Patrick Dunford, May 14, 2004
  14. On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:31:27 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <Tu0pc.5103$>, says...
    >>
    >> "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <AIZoc.5001$>, says...
    >> >
    >> > Yeah sure, but many Canon printers have limited life heads, that will
    >> > work out a lot more expensive if you have to replace the head after every
    >> > 5 carts

    >> All printers have a "limited head life" I have never come accross any
    >> printer that heads pack up after 5 carts.

    >Some Canon printers state a new head is needed after five carts.
    >
    >> Anyway if you buy a new printer it will be under warranty.

    >Heads are specifically excluded in any printer warranty I have ever seen
    >as they are a limited life component.

    Not under the CGA , they will flat on there face if they try it..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 14, 2004
  15. Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

    V Guest

    CGA doesn't cover everything, especially when it comes to parts that
    has wear and tear.

    V, May 14, 2004
  16. Ive got a Epson 850. When 1st turned on it takes a VERY long
    time head cleaning before you can print your single page DOC
    Very annoying for the impatient. (Epson 900 was the same)

    Are the new Epsons & Canons like this?? Would be
    my only reason to go HP.

    Steve Robertson, May 15, 2004
  17. Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

    PseUDO Guest

    Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce wrote:

    > Thanks for this Pseudo - makes a lot of sense. Is there any one brand
    > in particular that uses separate colour ink tanks, or do most of the
    > makers include such models in their range ?
    > I'm off on a tangent at the moment I suspect:
    > http://www.itvsn.com.au/include/sweb.dll/product?product=040789&category=50000&site_id=ITVSN
    > Price is $AUD, by the way.
    >
    > Thanks again ................. Bb

    Try this NZ website
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=Printers to get a
    feel for the models that can be brought here in NZ, just keep an eye out
    for the ones with the sperate colour cartridges.

    You can also arrange that site by price as well!

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, May 15, 2004
  18. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:31:27 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <Tu0pc.5103$>, says...
    > >>
    > >> "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message

    > >> All printers have a "limited head life" I have never come accross any
    > >> printer that heads pack up after 5 carts.

    HP printers have a head that is replaced with EVERY cart.

    > >Some Canon printers state a new head is needed after five carts.
    > >
    > >> Anyway if you buy a new printer it will be under warranty.

    > >Heads are specifically excluded in any printer warranty I have ever seen
    > >as they are a limited life component.

    > Not under the CGA , they will flat on there face if they try it..

    The only thing they would have to replace is a faulty head, a head that
    wears out through normal wear and tear is at the customer's cost. This
    includes a head that wears out after 5 cartridges.

    Patrick Dunford, May 15, 2004
  19. In article <40a56249$>, says...
    > Ive got a Epson 850. When 1st turned on it takes a VERY long
    > time head cleaning before you can print your single page DOC
    > Very annoying for the impatient. (Epson 900 was the same)
    >

    > Are the new Epsons & Canons like this?? Would be
    > my only reason to go HP.

    HPs these days are junk, look for a Canon that has a "permanent" head.

    Patrick Dunford, May 15, 2004
  20. Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:31:27 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >In article <Tu0pc.5103$>,

    says...

    says...

    else.

    will

    every

    > HP printers have a head that is replaced with EVERY cart.
    >
    > > >Some Canon printers state a new head is needed after five carts.

    > > >Heads are specifically excluded in any printer warranty I have ever

    seen
    > > >as they are a limited life component.

    > > Not under the CGA , they will flat on there face if they try it..

    > The only thing they would have to replace is a faulty head, a head that
    > wears out through normal wear and tear is at the customer's cost. This
    > includes a head that wears out after 5 cartridges.

    A head that wears out after 5 carts is not "normal" wear and tear.

    Darren

    Darren, May 15, 2004