    to spend around $200 and use common (cheaper) paper and reasonably
    priced ink. Don't need to print on CDs necessarily. Good grief, what
    to get, or should I wait a month or so for the newer printers?
    philipp, Jan 30, 2004

  2. philipp

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:55:50 GMT, philipp <>
    wrote:

    >OK - So I got my new Digital Rebel working and am taking some better
    >photos - Want to move up from my HP952C and other HP printer. I am
    >looking at the Canon i960 vs an Epson xxx. ? I think that the Canon
    >i960 is being discontinued and the Epson line is confusing. Would like
    >to spend around $200 and use common (cheaper) paper

    If you want to get a photo-qualtiy printer, then I would stay away
    form cheaper papers---start with what the manufacturer recommends and
    then branch out form there.
    >and reasonably
    >priced ink.

    They're all going to get you on ink cost---unless you buy 3rd party
    ink, refill cartiridges, get a continuous feed system, etc. Again,
    start with the OEM stuff

    >Don't need to print on CDs necessarily. Good grief, what
    >to get, or should I wait a month or so for the newer printers?

    No matter when you buy, something "better" will come out right after.
    But--since inkjet technology is already so advanced, you can buy a
    really good printer right now.

    If you dont need anything bigger than letter size, then the prices are
    much more competitive.

    Epson vs. Canon:

    Epson is the traditional leader and dominates the high-end
    professional market. There are more choices of 3rd party stuff,
    better data on print life, etc.

    Canon is coming on fast (and they are fast!!). One thing I would miss
    with Canon is the roll paper option.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Jan 30, 2004

  3. philipp

    Dan Guest

    "philipp" <> wrote in message
    > OK - So I got my new Digital Rebel working and am taking some better
    > photos - Want to move up from my HP952C and other HP printer. I am
    > looking at the Canon i960 vs an Epson xxx. ? I think that the Canon
    > i960 is being discontinued and the Epson line is confusing. Would like
    > to spend around $200 and use common (cheaper) paper and reasonably
    > priced ink. Don't need to print on CDs necessarily. Good grief, what
    > to get, or should I wait a month or so for the newer printers?

    You can purchase a refurbished Epson Stylus Photo 960 directly from Epson
    for $199 shipped. It includes the full factory warranty. I went that route
    very recently and the printer looks brand new to me. You are going to have
    a hard time finding this model new since it has been discontinued.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?O3E951E37

    I have also been very happy with the printer. The output is incredible.
    Dan, Jan 30, 2004
  4. On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:55:50 GMT, philipp <>
    wrote:

    >OK - So I got my new Digital Rebel working and am taking some better
    >photos - Want to move up from my HP952C and other HP printer. I am
    >looking at the Canon i960 vs an Epson xxx. ? I think that the Canon
    >i960 is being discontinued and the Epson line is confusing. Would like
    >to spend around $200 and use common (cheaper) paper and reasonably
    >priced ink. Don't need to print on CDs necessarily. Good grief, what
    >to get, or should I wait a month or so for the newer printers?

    The absolute best small desktop printer -- and not quite
    available yet -- will be the Epson R800, with eight colors
    and pigment inks that are brighter than the present
    Ultrachromes.

    That said, you can't go too far wrong with either brand,
    and I've worked with both over the years. Epson leads
    the way with pigment inks, Canons are considerably
    faster and IMO a bit easier to keep running right.
    Epson has a more sophisticated print driver has
    been the "traditional" choice for photographers, but
    Canon has pretty much caught up if not surpassed
    Epson for print quality.

    I do sorta like the user removable printhead on the
    Canons -- that's come in handy a few times.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Raphael Bustin, Jan 30, 2004
  5. philipp wrote:

    > OK - So I got my new Digital Rebel working and am taking some better
    > photos - Want to move up from my HP952C and other HP printer. I am
    > looking at the Canon i960 vs an Epson xxx. ? I think that the Canon
    > i960 is being discontinued and the Epson line is confusing. Would like
    > to spend around $200 and use common (cheaper) paper and reasonably
    > priced ink. Don't need to print on CDs necessarily. Good grief, what
    > to get, or should I wait a month or so for the newer printers?

    Discontinued? It just came out! Oh well, who cares - I got an i950,
    which is basically the same thing, and it prints superbly, and always
    will, no matter what else comes out after it.

    I like the Canons because of the individual ink tanks and the removable,
    replaceable head. An alignment procedure insures against banding, and
    the drop size is the smallest out there.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Jan 30, 2004
  6. My Epson produces very nice prints but is slow. Also, it wastes a lot of
    ink because it often requires several cleaning cycles. When it dies, I am
    going to look at Canon.
    Charles Schuler, Jan 30, 2004
  7. I have an Epson 860 and have had nothing but problems with ink clogging the
    print head. I have done some research and found other people have had the
    same problems. After replacing a cartridge it is a ridiculous process of
    several cleanings, which wastes ink, and then leaving it off overnight so
    the ink can soften up or some shit like that. That is according to the
    printer manual that came with the printer.

    So I will never buy another Epson and I have been reading good things about
    Canon printers. I saw some reviews at zdnet.com and I would check
    epinions.com for more information.

    CaptainKrunch

    CaptainKrunch, Jan 30, 2004
  8. My Epson 860 doesn't utilize a chip. It simply uses the computer's software
    program to "guess" how much ink has been used based on how much printing,
    resolution, etc. I have refilled the cartridges many times and they are
    simply plastic with two holes on the top and one on the bottom with no
    electrical connection. Whenever you lift the cover holding in the ink
    cartridge the computer software automatically resets the ink levels to full
    because it assumes you have replaced the cartridge with a new full one since
    you have taken it out. I have found this to simply never work correctly and
    the ink levels are never what is represented on the screen.

    I wish I had never purchased this piece of crap!

    I actually took the printer apart and manually removed the print head and
    cleaned it off with a wet paper towel. I didn't really care if I never got
    it back together or damaged it in the process because it wasn't printing for
    crap anyway. So once I got it back together it is printing decently but it
    surely isn't near laser quality like it was originally when I purchased it.
    I am sure I will be purchasing a Canon sooner or later.

    I have found that Costco has ink refill kits for $17 and it includes 7
    bottles of ink. 2 black, 2 blue, 2 red and for some reason 1 yellow. Or
    maybe I already used up a yellow.

    CaptainKrunch

    "Wayne J" <> wrote in message

    > "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I had an Epson 750, and although it worked well at first, after a few
    > > months I too had nothing but trouble with ink clogging. When it takes a
    > > couple of sheets of photo paper, several sheets of plain paper, 10-20
    > > minutes and considerable ink to print one photo, well, that's just too
    > > expensive for me.

    > I had an Epson 780 and I also had nothing but problems with clogging. I
    > spent twice as much on ink unclogging the print head as I spent on the
    > printer in the first place. Epson print cartridges also have a chip that
    > keeps track of how much ink you use. This prevents you from using all the
    > ink in the cartridge and makes it difficult to use third party inks.
    >
    > A few days ago I saw an interview on T.V. with an Epson rep. where he was
    > claiming that the chip in an Epson print cartridge was put there in order

    > protect the consumer from damaging the print head when the printer runs

    out
    > of ink. Meanwhile, even with the chip, Epson printers clog more than any
    > other machines and you have to waste half your cartridge trying to unclog
    > the head. I didn't know whether to laugh or get angry. I chose the former

    as

    CaptainKrunch, Jan 30, 2004
  9. philipp

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    philipp wrote:

    > OK - So I got my new Digital Rebel working and am taking some better
    > photos - Want to move up from my HP952C and other HP printer.

    Have you tried any printer in the new HP Photosmart line?
    Give them a chance, you might discover you can get a
    lot more for your money than with Epson/Canon.
    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 30, 2004
  10. philipp

    KBob Guest

    wrote:

    >OK - So I got my new Digital Rebel working and am taking some better
    >photos - Want to move up from my HP952C and other HP printer. I am
    >looking at the Canon i960 vs an Epson xxx. ? I think that the Canon
    >i960 is being discontinued and the Epson line is confusing. Would like
    >to spend around $200 and use common (cheaper) paper and reasonably
    >priced ink. Don't need to print on CDs necessarily. Good grief, what
    >to get, or should I wait a month or so for the newer printers?

    I've got all Epson printers (1270/900/2200), but if Canon could come
    up with the same features and print quality I'd be much happier to
    have a printer that has removable heads and easy maintenance. The big
    attraction IMO for Canon is the ease with which the carts can be
    refilled (and that's a very big plus).
    KBob, Jan 31, 2004
  11. philipp

    Lisa Horton Guest

    CaptainKrunch wrote:

    > I have an Epson 860 and have had nothing but problems with ink clogging the
    > print head. I have done some research and found other people have had the
    > same problems. After replacing a cartridge it is a ridiculous process of
    > several cleanings, which wastes ink, and then leaving it off overnight so
    > the ink can soften up or some shit like that. That is according to the
    > printer manual that came with the printer.
    >
    > So I will never buy another Epson and I have been reading good things about
    > Canon printers. I saw some reviews at zdnet.com and I would check
    > epinions.com for more information.

    I had an Epson 750, and although it worked well at first, after a few
    months I too had nothing but trouble with ink clogging. When it takes a
    couple of sheets of photo paper, several sheets of plain paper, 10-20
    minutes and considerable ink to print one photo, well, that's just too
    expensive for me.

    So I bought a Canon S9000, and it's never clogged and never given me a
    single problem in any way. It just prints, faster and quieter, and does
    it first time every time.

    Also, the individual ink tanks on the Canon make it cheaper to run for
    me as I don't use all the colors at an equal rate.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton, Jan 31, 2004
  12. On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:02:29 GMT, KBob <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:55:50 GMT, philipp <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>OK - So I got my new Digital Rebel working and am taking some better
    >>photos - Want to move up from my HP952C and other HP printer. I am
    >>looking at the Canon i960 vs an Epson xxx. ? I think that the Canon
    >>i960 is being discontinued and the Epson line is confusing. Would like
    >>to spend around $200 and use common (cheaper) paper and reasonably
    >>priced ink. Don't need to print on CDs necessarily. Good grief, what
    >>to get, or should I wait a month or so for the newer printers?

    >I've got all Epson printers (1270/900/2200), but if Canon could come
    >up with the same features and print quality I'd be much happier to
    >have a printer that has removable heads and easy maintenance. The big
    >attraction IMO for Canon is the ease with which the carts can be
    >refilled (and that's a very big plus).

    The only thing that Epson has over the Canons
    right now is the pigment inks on the 2200, C82, etc.

    I hear the R800 will be a very nice printer. But after
    years of working with Epsons, I have to say my
    Canon S9000 has been mostly trouble-free in
    the 18 months or so that I've owned and used it.
    The removable print head has come in handy
    a few times.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Raphael Bustin, Jan 31, 2004
  13. philipp

    Wayne J Guest

    "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message

    > I had an Epson 750, and although it worked well at first, after a few
    > months I too had nothing but trouble with ink clogging. When it takes a
    > couple of sheets of photo paper, several sheets of plain paper, 10-20
    > minutes and considerable ink to print one photo, well, that's just too
    > expensive for me.

    I had an Epson 780 and I also had nothing but problems with clogging. I
    spent twice as much on ink unclogging the print head as I spent on the
    printer in the first place. Epson print cartridges also have a chip that
    keeps track of how much ink you use. This prevents you from using all the
    ink in the cartridge and makes it difficult to use third party inks.

    A few days ago I saw an interview on T.V. with an Epson rep. where he was
    claiming that the chip in an Epson print cartridge was put there in order to

    Wayne J, Jan 31, 2004
  14. philipp

    Mark Herring Guest

    For what it's worth:

    http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?source=html/printer_rec.html

    Good stuff here also on avoiding clogs, head cleaning, etc.

    Also:

    www.colorbat.com

    Mark Herring, Feb 1, 2004
  15. philipp

    CBM Guest

    Same problems with canon printers. I have a s900 and after the first month
    the black print went out and a canon repair shop changed it out no charge,
    but then again the inks do clog up for color prints and I have to do another
    deep clean and it works great for a few days. Also watch out for different
    papers, some do great, some do OK and some just suck for the prints.
    Kodak was the worst for my canon.
    I am going to DYE SUB printers next time. Check them out.

    CBM, Feb 1, 2004
  16. philipp

    Belle Long Guest

    I have the Epson 2200 and I love it , it was more then 200 but I would not
    trade it for anything else unless it was bigger and better :)

    Belle
    Belle Long, Feb 1, 2004