new power supply- error message on boot up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jay Wilson, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. Jay Wilson

    Jay Wilson Guest

    Hello,
    I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
    I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start my
    computer, I get a screen that says:

    Hardware monitor found an error
    enter power setup menu for details

    Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup

    In power monitor area, it doesn't mention what the error is, just gives me
    the following readings:

    MB temp 106 F
    CPU temp 117 F

    v core voltage 1.7v
    +3.3v voltage 3.3 (occasionally 3.2 for a second)
    +5v voltage 4.9v
    +12v voltage 11.7v
    -12v voltage 12.7v (occasionally 12.6 for a second)

    Are these readings normal? Shouldn't the 12v voltages be 12 volts?

    Is this (error message) just because it doesn't recognize the new power
    supply?

    If I press F1, the computer boots up normally and seems to work fine. (I'm
    using it to make this post)

    Can you tell me what the problem is and how to fix it? I've e-mailed the
    Antec tech support but have not heard back from them.

    Thanks,
    Jay Wilson
    Jay Wilson, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Jay Wilson

    Rob Guest

    If it didn't recognize the power supply the computer wouldn't even turn on.

    --
    Rob B
    http://www.techhowto.org

    Rob, Oct 7, 2003

  3. try to update your bios

    lapin des pyrenees, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Jay Wilson

    °Mike° Guest

    It may be that the power supply fan is slow to spin up.
    Check the fan at startup, and get a replacement PS if
    necessary.

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:08:15 GMT, in
    <jepgb.970$>
    Jay Wilson scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 7, 2003
  5. Jay Wilson

    Jay Wilson Guest

    Thanks Rob. That's one possibility eliminated.

    Jay W.

    Jay Wilson, Oct 7, 2003
  6. Jay Wilson

    Jay Wilson Guest

    Thanks lapin. I'm still too inexperienced with computers to mess with the
    bios. I'll do some googling to see if I can figure out how to update bios.
    Jay W

    Jay Wilson, Oct 7, 2003
  7. Jay Wilson

    Jay Wilson Guest

    Thanks Mike. I get loud fan noise at startup but I'll try to do a visual
    check.
    Jay W.
    Ps. How do you scrawl with a keyboard? :)

    Jay Wilson, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Jay Wilson

    °Mike° Guest

    Presuming this loud fan noise is from the PSU, you can be
    almost certain that's the problem, and the unit should be
    taken back for replacement.

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 03:27:45 GMT, in
    <Roqgb.1045$>
    Jay Wilson scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 7, 2003
  9. Jay Wilson

    Plato Guest

    Jay Wilson wrote:

    > I have a Sony PCV RX 580 computer with a P4 and running win XP home.
    > I just bought and installed an Antec SL350 power supply. When I start my
    > computer, I get a screen that says:
    >
    > Hardware monitor found an error
    > enter power setup menu for details

    Sounds more like a cpu fan message. Did you get a new PS assuming _it_
    was bad and not that your cpu fan was bad?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 8, 2003
  10. Jay Wilson

    Jay Wilson Guest

    Re: new power supply- error message on boot up--Update

    Hello,
    Thank you Rob, Mike, Plato and Lapin for helping with my problem. I did
    exchange the PS but still got the error message. It ended up that updating
    the bios has almost completely solved it. I only get the message on a real
    cold boot (after the machine has been off for several hours) I think I'll
    replace the CPU fan just to make sure it's not an issue. I also installed a
    motherboard monitor and all the voltages and temps are within parameters.
    Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

    Jay Wilson

    Jay Wilson, Oct 9, 2003