    size wrong". Changed the battery and cleared cmos, but still just hangs.
    any thoughts?
    thanks
    joaquino, Apr 1, 2004

  2. joaquino

    Todd Howard Guest

    I have seen a crappy PS kill a motherboard, ram, cpu and HD.......(all @
    once)
    Not saying thats what happened to yours, but I have seen it......thats when
    I started buying "good" power supplies, like Enermax or Antec......
    TH
    "joaquino" <> wrote in message
    > What kind of bad stuff can happen to other components of a pc if the power
    > supply dies? Mine died and I put a new one in, but now get "cmos memory
    > size wrong". Changed the battery and cleared cmos, but still just hangs.
    > any thoughts?
    > thanks

    ---
    Todd Howard, Apr 1, 2004

  3. joaquino

    Thor Guest

    They can take out pretty much everything.

    Thor, Apr 1, 2004
  4. joaquino

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "joaquino" <> wrote in

    > What kind of bad stuff can happen to other components of a pc if the
    > power supply dies? Mine died and I put a new one in, but now get
    > "cmos memory size wrong". Changed the battery and cleared cmos, but
    > still just hangs. any thoughts?

    If the PS goes, it can (and most of the time will) take anything and
    everything attached to it, including but not limited to the motherboard,
    CPU, hard drives, RAM, or expansion cards.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Apr 1, 2004
  5. joaquino

    w_tom Guest

    No power supply, properly designed, will damage other
    computer components. But that assumes the assembler had basic
    knowledge; does not just buy power supplies on price. Because
    so many North American computer experts don't even have basic
    electrical knowledge, assumption is 'acceptable and normal'
    for power supplies to damage other components. Yes, it is
    acceptable when power supplies are missing functions that were
    defacto standard even 30 years ago. If power supply damages
    computer, then failure is directly traceable to the human who
    bought or installed that completely unacceptable supply.

    Question simplifies down to, "Will this one power supply
    damage the computer?" What do the specifications say? Does
    it specifically claim to have overvoltage protection? If that
    power supply does not provide detailed specifications, then
    what are they hiding? Probably hiding that supply violates
    even Intel requirements.

    Again, a supply that meets 30 year old defacto standards and
    Intel requirements will not damage computer components. Where
    are the specs for that supply - or was it another '$45
    wonder' dumped into America because some Americans buy on
    price rather than first learn basic principles?

    w_tom, Apr 1, 2004
  6. joaquino

    Kamakazee Guest

    In Message-ID: <>w_tom wrote: