    Can anyone provide a head to head price comparison between the new 6.1
    megapixel Pentax digital SLR versus the D100?

    pharro

    pharro, Sep 3, 2003

  2. "pharro" <nospam> wrote in news:3f55e47d$0$28121$afc38c87
    @news.optusnet.com.au:

    > Can anyone provide a head to head price comparison between the new 6.1
    > megapixel Pentax digital SLR versus the D100?

    In the UK: Jessops and others sell the D100 for £1349. Pentax's RRP for the
    *ist D is £1400.

    --Sophie

    Sophie Wilson, Sep 3, 2003

  3. pharro

    pharro Guest

    "Sophie Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > "pharro" <nospam> wrote in news:3f55e47d$0$28121$afc38c87
    > @news.optusnet.com.au:
    >
    > > Can anyone provide a head to head price comparison between the new 6.1
    > > megapixel Pentax digital SLR versus the D100?

    > In the UK: Jessops and others sell the D100 for £1349. Pentax's RRP for

    the
    > *ist D is £1400.

    Sophie, how long has the Pentax been available?

    pharro

    pharro, Sep 3, 2003
  4. "pharro" <nospam> wrote in news:3f55f02f$0$28120$afc38c87
    @news.optusnet.com.au:

    > "Sophie Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >> "pharro" <nospam> wrote in news:3f55e47d$0$28121$afc38c87
    >> @news.optusnet.com.au:
    >>
    >> > Can anyone provide a head to head price comparison between the new 6.1
    >> > megapixel Pentax digital SLR versus the D100?

    >> In the UK: Jessops and others sell the D100 for £1349. Pentax's RRP for

    > the
    >> *ist D is £1400.

    > Sophie, how long has the Pentax been available?

    Pentax UK only published the prices last week. The two camera stores I've
    contacted for one are yet to tell me when I can have one - its mostly
    expected to arrive more towards the end of September. By which time, maybe
    I'll have sorted out the lenses!

    --Sophie

    Sophie Wilson, Sep 3, 2003
  5. pharro

    > "pharro" <nospam> wrote in news:3f55f02f$0$28120$afc38c87
    > @news.optusnet.com.au:
    >

    > > "Sophie Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > >> "pharro" <nospam> wrote in news:3f55e47d$0$28121$afc38c87
    > >> @news.optusnet.com.au:

    6.1

    > >> In the UK: Jessops and others sell the D100 for £1349. Pentax's RRP for

    > > the
    > >> *ist D is £1400.

    > > Sophie, how long has the Pentax been available?

    > Pentax UK only published the prices last week. The two camera stores I've
    > contacted for one are yet to tell me when I can have one - its mostly
    > expected to arrive more towards the end of September. By which time, maybe
    > I'll have sorted out the lenses!

    Thanks for the info. Not on the shelves in Oz yet. Do you know if the lenses
    are standard Pentax bayonet?

    pharro

    pharro, Sep 3, 2003
  6. "pharro" <nospam> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the info. Not on the shelves in Oz yet. Do you know if the

    lenses
    > are standard Pentax bayonet?

    Google for Pentax *ist D and you'll find a huge amount of info including
    sample images. The answer to your question is "yes and no". Ideally
    you'd use the new range of lenses but it will take everything back to
    the original K mount. I have a cupboard full of them so will examine the
    Pentax with interest - once the price drops a bit.
    --
    Malcolm

    Malcolm Knight, Sep 3, 2003
  7. pharro

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "pharro" <nospam> wrote:

    >"Sophie Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >> "pharro" <nospam> wrote in news:3f55e47d$0$28121$afc38c87
    >> @news.optusnet.com.au:
    >>
    >> > Can anyone provide a head to head price comparison between the new 6.1
    >> > megapixel Pentax digital SLR versus the D100?

    >> In the UK: Jessops and others sell the D100 for £1349. Pentax's RRP for
    >> the *ist D is £1400.

    >Sophie, how long has the Pentax been available?

    Not available yet but deliveries are expected later this month. I know
    several people who have placed orders (in the U.S. and the U.K.).

    I got to try out a pre-production version a few weeks ago and was very
    impressed.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Sep 3, 2003
  8. pharro

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "pharro" <nospam> wrote:

    >Thanks for the info. Not on the shelves in Oz yet. Do you know if the lenses
    >are standard Pentax bayonet?

    Accepts all Pentax bayonet (K mount) lenses with some restrictions on
    the oldest ones.

    The restriction is that K and M series (lenses made prior to 1983) will
    only meter wide open. There are a few of us working on some workarounds
    for this that will allow stop-down metering, but in general it's best to
    stick with A series lenses and later. That still gives you 20 years of
    lenses to work with.
    My interest in using the really old K lenses is that I own a K-15mm
    f/3.5 - a very useful lens to have with the smaller-than-full-frame CCD!

    I have some sample *ist-D photos on line:
    http://www.robertstech.com/temp.htm

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Sep 3, 2003
  9. pharro

    BG250 Guest

    Mark, I think I saw your shots from the camera of people hiking a couple
    weeks ago.

    Could you paste a 1:1 resolution image that is cropped around some detail so
    I (we) can see it up close. Will Pentax allow that?
    Thanks, bg

    BG250, Sep 3, 2003
  10. "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message

    > My interest in using the really old K lenses is that I own a K-15mm
    > f/3.5

    I had often wondered who bought the other one. ;-)
    --
    Malcolm

    Malcolm Knight, Sep 3, 2003
  11. pharro

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "BG250" <> wrote:

    >Mark, I think I saw your shots from the camera of people hiking a couple
    >weeks ago.
    >
    >Could you paste a 1:1 resolution image that is cropped around some detail so
    >I (we) can see it up close. Will Pentax allow that?

    I'll check with my Pentax guy. The trouble is, that shot was taken from
    a great distance (obviously) on a day with a great deal of atmospheric
    haze, so it would be lacking in detail no matter what (especially so in
    the case of the shot taken with the 2x teleconverter). If I can post a
    1:1 crop, it probably ought to be from one of the closer images.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Sep 3, 2003
  12. BG250 <> wrote:

    > That would be great. It would give us an idea of what it really can do!
    >
    > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > > "BG250" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Mark, I think I saw your shots from the camera of people hiking a couple
    > > >weeks ago.
    > > >
    > > >Could you paste a 1:1 resolution image that is cropped around some detail

    > so
    > > >I (we) can see it up close. Will Pentax allow that?

    > > I'll check with my Pentax guy. The trouble is, that shot was taken from
    > > a great distance (obviously) on a day with a great deal of atmospheric
    > > haze, so it would be lacking in detail no matter what (especially so in
    > > the case of the shot taken with the 2x teleconverter). If I can post a
    > > 1:1 crop, it probably ought to be from one of the closer images.

    Pentax has published some images themselves. You can find them at
    http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/ja/ist-d/ex.html

    --
    Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
    Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

    Johan W. Elzenga, Sep 4, 2003