    or is this about the best you can get.

    Thanks

    Mark
    Mark, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Mark

    Linux Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I am in the market for a new PC and want something future proof as possible
    > and powerful
    > by todays standards.
    >
    > I have been recommended a Dell XPS 720 H2C which can be seen here.
    > http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...dt_720h2c?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~lt=popup
    >
    > The reviews look very good.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest another model around the same price but better equipped
    > or is this about the best you can get.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark

    Prebuilt Dell = good - what ver of Windows (want Windows) ?
    Linux, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Windows Vista Ultimate

    Mark, Dec 11, 2007
  4. Mark

    Paul Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I am in the market for a new PC and want something future proof as
    > possible and powerful
    > by todays standards.
    >
    > I have been recommended a Dell XPS 720 H2C which can be seen here.
    > http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...dt_720h2c?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~lt=popup
    >

    > The reviews look very good.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest another model around the same price but better equipped
    > or is this about the best you can get.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark

    The best you can get right now. You can see the best processors from Intel
    listed here. The QX9650 won't run on an Nvidia chipset, so getting the
    absolute best processor and SLI video at the same time, cannot be done.
    (Nvidia restricts SLI drivers to operate on Nvidia chipsets. An Intel
    chipset would run QX9xxx series processors, but only supports ATI
    Crossfire.)

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2559&sSpec=&OrdCode=

    (Discussion on the Dell forum regarding the QX9xxx issue)
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&message.id=22281

    I'd say the box was good enough, if a little wasteful of electricity.
    (A QX9xxx will overclock well above 4GHz, but who really cares.)
    Peltier with water block, wastes a couple hundred watts of electricity
    and generates extra heat that will warm up the room housing the computer.
    But it does make for a compact and potentially quiet design.

    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/dell-xps-720-h2c-hot-and-cool,review-953.html

    "Test lab technician Shelton Romhanyi was incredibly impressed with the
    system's low noise and solid construction, noting that the system weighs
    between 60 and 70 pounds."

    If it doesn't work out as a gaming system, you can always do some weight
    lifting with it :)

    A local computer builder could duplicate this build, but for less cash.
    The system will be lighter, but a bit noisier. And with retail Windows
    install, and no Dell bloatware included, the system disk may be a bit
    cleaner.

    Until Nvidia comes out with a newer chipset for the QX9xxx series,
    the Dell box (and some others using a similar approach) is about
    as good as it gets.

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 11, 2007
  5. Mark

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Windows Vista Ultimate

    Well, you best get ready for the Linux sales pitch, because it's coming. <g>
    Mr. Arnold, Dec 11, 2007
  6. Mark

    Protagonist Guest

    Not cheap for sure, at 2600 pound!
    Just bought a Gateway GT5630E for $699, came with Vista and Intel Core2
    quad CPU.
    Very happy!
    http://www.gateway.com/retail/gt5630e.php
    JS

    Protagonist, Dec 12, 2007
  7. Mark

    Robert Baer Guest

    Protagonist wrote:

    > Not cheap for sure, at 2600 pound!
    > Just bought a Gateway GT5630E for $699, came with Vista and Intel Core2
    > quad CPU.
    > Very happy!
    > http://www.gateway.com/retail/gt5630e.php
    > JS
    >

    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I am in the market for a new PC and want something future proof as
    >> possible and powerful
    >> by todays standards.
    >>
    >> I have been recommended a Dell XPS 720 H2C which can be seen here.
    >> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...dt_720h2c?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~lt=popup
    >>

    >> The reviews look very good.
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest another model around the same price but better
    >> equipped
    >> or is this about the best you can get.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Mark