    I have a legit XP, never used, that I'm going to put on but I've never
    installed a OS from scratch before, just upgraded.
    Is it going to be obvious what I do when I put the cd in?

    spike, Feb 12, 2006

  2. spike

    Jollyrodgers Guest

    "spike" <djhatukpcdotnet> wrote in message
    > I've bought a new pc but it comes without OS.
    > I have a legit XP, never used, that I'm going to put on but I've never
    > installed a OS from scratch before, just upgraded.
    > Is it going to be obvious what I do when I put the cd in?

    Very.......
    As long your PC is set to boot from CD rom.

    Jollyrodgers, Feb 12, 2006

  3. spike

    Robert Baer Guest

    spike wrote:
    > I've bought a new pc but it comes without OS.
    > I have a legit XP, never used, that I'm going to put on but I've never
    > installed a OS from scratch before, just upgraded.
    > Is it going to be obvious what I do when I put the cd in?

    You will have to change your BIOS settings.
    I always enable the floppy and have it as a boot device, for our dear
    friend Justin Case.
    BIOS boot order: Floppy, CD, IDE0 ("IDE zero").

    Robert Baer, Feb 12, 2006
  4. spike

    VanShania Guest

    Put your Os disk in first, go into bios and change your boot to CDROM then
    exit and save. You will be asked to hit a key to boot from cdrom. do this
    and away you go. At the first reboot, go into bios again and change your
    boot to HDD 0. For me I disable all boots from floppy or cdrom for faster
    boot. I even disable the floppy seek. I haven't used a floppy for 2 years.
    Although I may use it for bios flash if needed.
    Once your Os is installed, the proper order to load everything is :

    Windows updates(I just stick with my OS. SP2 is too buggy)
    motherboard drivers
    Direct X 9c
    then vidcard drivers and soundcard drivers( no particular order that Ive
    seen but I like to load my vidcard drivers first)
    After installing my vidcard drivers, I like to reinstall direct X, uninstall
    and reinstall my vidcard drivers as I noticed better performance. ATI
    recommends installing there drivers overtop the direct x.
    --
    XP2600@171 fsb@1.65Volts
    PC3200 Samsung 512mb, SB Live OEM

    Overall Score-2066, cpu_score-2926
    in 3DMark2005 basic 1078X768, No AA

    VanShania, Feb 12, 2006
  5. spike

    VanShania Guest

    And make sure you format using the NTFS. Do a proper format, not the quick
    format.

    VanShania, Feb 12, 2006